The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The road to an actual future (Proposal/Long Read)

Well did you hear about the Horvat deal?! Lol. 

This has been a very sad state of affairs following this franchise this season. Although I say I'm done with the team sometimes, it's out of pure frustration. It was nice to see us get a 1st, quality roster player with a bit of upside and a young prospect that can be a potential top 6 forward for us in the coming years. 

Time to look towards the future.

What's next on the agenda? From a logical standpoint, it surely has to be Schenn and Brock. 

Just looking at other rosters around the league 

Schenn should have: Toronto, Vegas (depending on Whitecloud), Tampa, maybe Avs (depending on Manson) & Flames (depending on Tanev) 

Boeser should have: Wild, Devils, Sabres & Pens. 

Some deals I feel are realistic are the following: 

Toronto: Schenn  Van: 1st 2023 & We take a player back for salary purposes so the Leafs could make additional moves. 

Wild: Boeser   Van: Jordan Greenway, Ryan O'Rourke and a 2nd round pick in 2023. 

Or

Devils: Boeser w/15% retention (5,652,500) Van: Holtz 

Next I would sign Aidan McDonough. 

So we walk in to the offseason acquiring: 

Nyi (1st this year or next unprotected)

Attu Raty 

TML 1st 2023 

Greenway, ORourke and 2nd 

Or 

Holtz

Mcdonaugh

A good start, but still not addressing our need for Defense. 

With this team selling off, I feel we could fall in to the 4th best chance for Bedard. I don't expect to get him, but with a little lottery luck Fantilli or Carlsson would be a great start. 

Before Draft we shop Miller. 

One of the main suitors that comes to mind is Columbus. They have a hard time attracting talent. What better way then acquiring Miller, who is locked in to a long term deal. 

A deal I think would be fair would be: 

Cbj: Miller 

Van: Peeke, Sillinger and 2nd 2023

A power move by CBJ. They have Jiricek coming in, who is hands down the future of the Right Side. Miller is still a very good forward and CBJ looks very committed to getting competitive. This will get another star forward locked in long term. We are very much on the other end of the spectrum, looking to gain young assets. Peeke and Sillinger, both having down years, should be attainable to offset Miller's 8 million dollar salary. 

Next Demko. Love Demko, but realistically we aren't winning anything soon. Two different deals I like are: 

Van: Durzi, Petersen and 1st in 2023 

LA: Demko

Vegas: Demko

Van: Kolesar, Korczak and 1st in 2023

Prefer the LA deal personally. 

Now we're sitting at: 

Nyi (1st this year or next unprotected)

Attu Raty 

TML 1st 2023 

Greenway, ORourke and 2nd 

Or 

Holtz

Mcdonaugh

Peeke, Sillinger and 2nd 2023 cbj

Durzi, Petersen and 1st in 2023 LA

We walk in to the draft with potentially 4 1st round draft picks. 

1 top 5 

If the isles miss and give it to us top 12.

2 - 20-25 selection 

As well as 2 2nd round picks. 

For hypothetical sake I'm going to say we get 2 or 3. 

Fantilli or Carlsson are our selection 

Isles miss the playoffs and decide to give us the pick this year. 

We select Matthew Wood 10-12. Kid is supposed to be an average-below average skater. His shot has been compared to Matthew's, high IQ and collegiate player, so more time for development. 

For our last 2 first rounders - 

Stramel

Reinbacher 

& Dragecivic are the only players I know anything about and that is very limited. 

Targets for 2nd round: 

Carson Bjarnasson 

Attach the other 2nd rounder with Myers, plus 50% retention for 3rd or 4th rounder. 

Now the prospect pipeline is: 

Fantilli/Carlsson 

Podkolzin 

Hoglander 

Raty

Wood 

Mcdonaugh 

Lekkerimaki 

Pettersson

O'Rourke 

Rathbone 

Karlsson 

Lockwood

Silovs 

Stramel 

Reinbacher 

Bjarnasson 

Our 2024 top 10 pick. This would be a great start. 

Offseason: we have one hole on the forward front we could fill. 

Forward group would look as follows: 

Kuzmenko - Pete - Mikheyev 

Garland - (O'Reilly) - Beauvillier 

Greenway - Sillinger - Podkolzin 

Joshua - Lazar/Studnicka - Lockwood 

So I think O'Reilly on a one year rebuild his value deal would be beneficial for both parties. He may want to go elsewhere, but money shouldn't be an issue on our end. 

Defense: 

Hughes - Durzi

Oel - Peeke 

Rathbone - Bear 

Peterson 

Martin? 

Thoughts?

• Cheers 1
  • elephant 1

Most of it looks alright, just not into Greenway (too injury-prone) and I don't think Vegas needs Demko now that they've got Thompson.  It's probably going to be LA if he goes anywhere (not sure if his California roots would factor in, but we could bring in and recoup Petersen behind an improved defense).  If we're taking on a cap dump from a divisional rival though, I'd want either Brandt Clarke or Helge Grans as that high-upside RHD prospect coming back.

I'd rather not trade Demko, then we're going full tank and not just for this and next year but we're going to build a losing culture for the foreseeable future. With Demko in net we still have a chance to provide a chance and a good hockey team on any given night. I think kids coming into the league need that. You can't build a winning culture around a team like Arizona or even Buffalo (who have struggled) by just getting bombed nightly. Losing 1 goal games here and there at least gets the kids in it and the feeling that they can win, and when they eek out the odd moral victory thanks to huge goaltending, it'll do plenty for their development. That's why I say we keep Demko. Rebuild or not, we need our guys coming in to be playing meaningful games and Demko does that for us. Plus, if we miraculously build a solid team in the next couple of seasons, we can talk about playoffs.

We have a lot of older guys on our team who other teams should fancy and should trade them before they get past their use-by date.

I really think there's a market for Myers, especially if we retain. 2 years left on a 6M deal, if we buy him out he costs us 5M in cap space next year and like 100K the subsequent year. Might as well retain 1 or 2M. Toronto desperately need defence but don't really have cap to give us back

Boeser surely can't be too hard to trade, don't know why this is dragging on so long.

Surprised to hear they're thinking about Garland as a cap dump but 5M is a lot of cap in today's league for someone who can't score 20 goals. 

Schenn will be the easiest guy to move.

I don't think they'll be able to find a partner for Miller.

In all these deals, we should be looking at taking bad cap back, but it'd be nice if it was just 1 or 2 years max otherwise we're in the same situation. Teams who want to get better now and have a bad deal expiring. Guys like Erik Johnson would be perfect, 6M wasted on the Avs blueline. Miller for Johnson would do me just fine, they can throw in a pick if they want but I'd take that. They get their 2C for the next few years to play under McKinnon, Johnson doesn't get extended/retires next year and we free up 8M in cap space.

58 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Don’t you think if Schenn could fetch us a first round pick, a deal would have already been done by now?

Not at all

it is 5 weeks til the deadline

33 players injured on Jan 30-31 (4 of those are Islanders)

some teams will drop out of races

some teams might get an injury close to the deadline, but still be very much in a race

Canucks could have gotten more for Horvat if they had waited, or they could have got nothing if he got injured

It would be a shame for a team to trade their 1st then fall out of a race due to injuries in the next 5 weeks

the deadline is when gamblers come to the fore

I don’t think you get Greenway for Boesser straight much less with a bunch of adds. Wild can’t get Brock under the cap anyway without retaining half.  I also don’t think you get a 7th OA pic for Brock unless you are giving a first back as well and retain. 
Sillinger is not going anywhere. 
We do have LTIR to take a bad contract like that so I like finally weaponizing cap space to increase return.  So this idea I like and is at least feasible. 
‘I like the Demko to LA. We take their young struggling goalie and see what IC can do and get a D. We aren’t going to be good until Demko’s contract is almost done anyway and who knows if his hips will hold up past that. 

11 hours ago, lmm said:

Not at all

it is 5 weeks til the deadline

33 players injured on Jan 30-31 (4 of those are Islanders)

some teams will drop out of races

some teams might get an injury close to the deadline, but still be very much in a race

Canucks could have gotten more for Horvat if they had waited, or they could have got nothing if he got injured

It would be a shame for a team to trade their 1st then fall out of a race due to injuries in the next 5 weeks

the deadline is when gamblers come to the fore

Most of the teams adding Schenn would be a contender anyway and I doubt he’d be playing on their top 4, barring any injuries.

Anything more than a 3rd round/late 2nd for Schenn, would be considered a win.

5 hours ago, shiznak said:

Most of the teams adding Schenn would be a contender anyway and I doubt he’d be playing on their top 4, barring any injuries.

Anything more than a 3rd round/late 2nd for Schenn, would be considered a win.

]You would think that, unless its the Islanders

but that is my point

the Islanders made their move , then suffered 4 injuries in the following 2 days

I am not sure about the severity of those injuries, and Lou is trying to sign Horvat long term

Other teams might decide to wait, and see if they are felling strong, or depleted nearer the deadline

a team looking at Schenn, might suffer 4 significant injures and decide to back off for this year or they might feel as the deadline approaches that they are still in it for a Cup, at which time they decide to go for it

a 32 pick for a guy that can play up if need be is not such a high price to pay

a 20-24 pick on a team that has recently fallen on hard times would be a lot