The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Paryko for Miller

Provost

Two teams struggling, two teams looking to retool on the fly.  This is a little bit of rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic for both sides…. but also helps both sides.

St. Louis is full of aging veterans on long term big money contracts and is underperforming this year when they were expected to contend.  They have a bunch of RFAs and expiring contracts but only about $14 million to sign 10 players next season.

They are losing O’Reilly and can’t afford to re-sign him.  They need a centre.  Paryko has taken a nosedive and his contract is likely to age badly going forward.  It is the same term and a little less money than Miller’s and they are the same age.  Paryko also had a back injury that might hamper him  now and going forward.

I advocate for a complete rebuild which would make it dumb to take on a long term aging contract,  even if it is swapping for another one… BUT if the vision is for a retool this makes sense for both teams.

Miller

Rathbone (the sweetener for them taking on a bit more cap)

for 

Paryko

Pro’s

- top 4 RHD are rare and we need two 

- he plays a lot of all purpose minutes and could pair well with either Hughes or OEL

- his contract is front loaded so easier to move in later years than Miller 

- we badly need to remake our D

- there is a chance that he rebounds to earlier form on a new team 

Con’s

-  he isn’t the Paryko most people know, and hasn’t been for a couple years

- he has had back issues and could age badly a lot faster than Miller 

- today Miller is a better player, though Paryko is a more valuable position 

- we need to find a 2C if we move Miller

- probably better to just completely rebuild 

Edited by Provost
  • RoughGame 1

I like outside the box thinking,  but...

Why would Parayko waive his NTC and uproot his entire family to go from a bad team to a worse one?  

At this rate Miller is still contributing and likely will decline,  but still contribute. 

How long until Parayko is another OEL and becomes a complete passenger with a massive contract?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

I like outside the box thinking,  but...

Why would Parayko waive his NTC and uproot his entire family to go from a bad team to a worse one?  

At this rate Miller is still contributing and likely will decline,  but still contribute. 

How long until Parayko is another OEL and becomes a complete passenger with a massive contract?

Paryko doesn't have a NTC.  It doesn't kick in until 2028.

There is definitely a risk of him becoming terrible, I mentioned that on the risk side.  He could age faster than Miller.  The opposite of that risk is that top 4RHD are extremely rare, it isn't just a matter of ditching Myers and replacing him with a good player.  Severson isn't as good as even what Paryko is now and is likely to get a massive deal just because so many teams are looking and so few are available.

Paryko isn't the dominant #1 D that he was expected to be, but playing 23 minutes a night so he is certainly contributing now, and quite likely as a top 4 guy for the next 5 years.  After that his contract drops and cap inflation will make it less of an issue to deal with.

If there wasn't a balance of risk and reward, St. Louis doesn't make this move even remotely.  You dont get a sniff at Paryko if there wasn't possible downside.

Edited by Provost

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

I could be wrong... I read an article that said his NTC was starting in 2028.  If it is current now and just partially lifts in 2028, then you do have to get him to waive.

I believe it is a full no trade clause until 2028 then it turns to a modified where Parayko submits a 15 team no trade list. Based on his comments after he signed that contract I would be surprised if he waived unless its near the end of his career for another chance at a cup but as Fanuck stated, Van doesn't fit that path either.  

• Upvote 1

He's really not the player he once was. If it was Boeser for Parayko, maybe, but I think Miller holds a bit too much value.

I'd counter with Boeser + Rathbone for Parayko + some mid/late pick

Or...

Miller + Schenn to CBJ for Peeke + Kuraly + 2nd round pick

They snag Bedard and hit the playoffs next year easily.

53 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

He's really not the player he once was. If it was Boeser for Parayko, maybe, but I think Miller holds a bit too much value.

I'd counter with Boeser + Rathbone for Parayko + some mid/late pick

Or...

Miller + Schenn to CBJ for Peeke + Kuraly + 2nd round pick

They snag Bedard and hit the playoffs next year easily.

I am just reverse due to the cap liability.  Boeser we can get out from under pretty quickly.  Miller is pretty much as likely to be an anchor contract in the last half just like Paryko.

In reality I would do neither if I had my druthers as I think it should be all about the rebuild.  I still don’t get a sense that is the plan from management so this is a way to fill a hard to fill hole in the roster.

If the rumored Meier to St Louis trade falls apart, I hope they would consider JT and offer Colton straight up for him.
Of course, good players likely do want to go to contenders, but on the off chance that the Blues really fall off and he wants to leave, it would be great if this trade could happen. 

1 minute ago, Phil_314 said:

If the rumored Meier to St Louis trade falls apart, I hope they would consider JT and offer Colton straight up for him.
Of course, good players likely do want to go to contenders, but on the off chance that the Blues really fall off and he wants to leave, it would be great if this trade could happen. 

If Parayko becomes available I doubt we could afford to outbid the Sens

• There it is 1

59 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If Parayko becomes available I doubt we could afford to outbid the Sens

That's true, they do have a treasure trove of youth (Greig, Pinto, JBD, etc. etc.) and they're definitely on the upswing in terms of competitiveness.
Parayko next to Chabot would probably be quite the strong pairing too.