The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposals] Reshaping the Roster for Next Season, Plus Getting Picks & Cap Space

8 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

You call 0.75 pts/gp vs 0.37 pts/gp a minor upgrade?

Look at the actual points.  Their rookies have almost as many goals each as Boeser and 12/16 fewer points than Boeser.  I don’t think an extra 2 goals and 14 assists is worth an extra $6m for 2+ years.  Plus scoring goals isn’t really  an issue for Buffalo. That $6m could be  put to use much better 

6 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Look at the actual points.  Their rookies have almost as many goals each as Boeser and 12/16 fewer points than Boeser.  I don’t think an extra 2 goals and 14 assists is worth an extra $6m for 2+ years.  Plus scoring goals isn’t really  an issue for Buffalo. That $6m could be  put to use much better 

Yes I can count thanks. You keep going in circles, are you dizzy yet?

Just now, BigTramFan said:

Yes I can count thanks. You keep going in circles, are you dizzy yet?

Only because you seem to be ignoring my point.  Boeser, at his contract and level of production, isn’t a need for Buffalo.  I suspect the only reason. You targeted them is because they’re one of the few teams that could take Boeser’s whole cap hit.  But that fact alone doesn’t make him a good fit for them 

Just now, qwijibo said:

Only because you seem to be ignoring my point.  Boeser, at his contract and level of production, isn’t a need for Buffalo.  I suspect the only reason. You targeted them is because they’re one of the few teams that could take Boeser’s whole cap hit.  But that fact alone doesn’t make him a good fit for them 

I did not ignore your point. I actually acknowledged your pov and agreed that you are entitled to your opinion, which happens to be different to mine.

10 hours ago, Neutral said:

If the GM could pull these moves off that would be some major surgery I would say, nicely done! Not sure if we can get those returns for all the trades but I like them, especially dumping Myers, although I wouldn't retain 50% on Myers, let Chicago do that next TDL to get the higher draft pick. Chicago has the cap room, maybe they take him for free at the draft or after SB is paid July 1?

Myers 1 yr left and signing bonus paid out July 1st..So only 1 million remaining so Myers will be easy to trade after July 1st...

Just now, wildcam said:

Myers 1 yr left and signing bonus paid out July 1st..So only 1 million remaining so Myers will be easy to trade after July 1st...

6 million X 1 yr ---5 million signing bonus paid out July 1st only = 1 million remaining for new team..Easy to move Myers this summer.

28 minutes ago, wildcam said:

Absolutely agree. And if we have enough cap space to retain 50%, then we might even get a return on him.

Whoever takes on Myers could then retain another 50% (i.e. 25% of $6m) and get whatever they paid for him back at the 2024 TDL. Surely there will be teams looking for a RHD with a $1.5m cap hit?

Fans constantly are undervaluing Boeser. He's not going for a 2nd round pick. Canucks would just keep him, he's young and very capable of bouncing back. He's still .75 point per game guy.

His contract is a little steep, but nowhere near as much as the media would like fans to believe. If the cap starts moving again this offseason, as expected, then trading options will open up.

Right now, the biggest barrier to trading him is the fact that there's about 5 teams in the league who could take his salary (or anyone over 5 million), without some pretty drastic changes to their lineup.

Of teams who would conceivably trade for him for the playoffs, Vegas is really about the only one who has the space with LTIR to do it without sending major salary back our way, but that would put them in a bigger crunch next season, assuming that Stone will be able to play next year.

The reason trades aren't happening right now is, for contenders, pretty much all of them need a 3rd team involved to absorb salary or a player, and that takes time to engineer.

• elephant 1

On 2/21/2023 at 11:02 PM, wildcam said:

To ARI.  Going rate for that much cap pre-covid for a guy who could still produce (Marleau) was a first.   Just keep him.   Team tank next year anyways - unless a team wants him at 3 million.  

On 2/21/2023 at 11:43 PM, VegasCanuck said:

Fans constantly are undervaluing Boeser. He's not going for a 2nd round pick. Canucks would just keep him, he's young and very capable of bouncing back. He's still .75 point per game guy.

His contract is a little steep, but nowhere near as much as the media would like fans to believe. If the cap starts moving again this offseason, as expected, then trading options will open up.

Right now, the biggest barrier to trading him is the fact that there's about 5 teams in the league who could take his salary (or anyone over 5 million), without some pretty drastic changes to their lineup.

Of teams who would conceivably trade for him for the playoffs, Vegas is really about the only one who has the space with LTIR to do it without sending major salary back our way, but that would put them in a bigger crunch next season, assuming that Stone will be able to play next year.

The reason trades aren't happening right now is, for contenders, pretty much all of them need a 3rd team involved to absorb salary or a player, and that takes time to engineer.

Doubt Brock is traded this year.   The only hope we have of getting value from Brock is all about him and him returning to form.    Next TDL might be a little easier.   The following one a lot easier.   I don't see a partner for him, without significant retention.     And even then not sure.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Doubt Brock is traded this year.   The only hope we have of getting value from Brock is all about him and him returning to form.    Next TDL might be a little easier.   The following one a lot easier.   I don't see a partner for him, without significant retention.     And even then not sure.  

Plus, I think the new coach (Tocchet) likes how Brock plays along the walls. 

• Cheers 1