The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If you are costing the team a +4 million cap hit, what do you need to start playing like it?

Rate this topic

EastCoastNucks

I dont know if the players will see this but geez, where can we call them out?

Ian Macintire doesnt, Sat Shaw doesnt....

I am talking

Myers

OEL

Millar

Pearson

Demko

anyone else you feel is strongly under-performing

and why we are overpaying others, because they are playing so much better than you: 

Petterson,

Hughes,

Kuzmenko,

and why we lost valuable players for less.

Markstrom,

Tanev,

Pearson's buddy from LA who never got on the same line,

Sedin,

Sedin,

Sedin,

Sedin,

Sedin well you get the point.Brock Boeser is the only player that knows

• Wat 8

They do the best they can, simply as that. There is no magic pill. Well there is but the NHL frowns on the use of cold medications, the go to drug used to be non drowsy Sudafeds, still used for colds. I don't think it is a prescribed off limits medication. Usually results in added jump for a longer period of time.

BUT

Someone at 26 yrs old plays much better than when 32 yrs old and having suffered numerous injuries.

Sometimes time just catches up, no, time always catches up.

That is why Rutherford said he didn't like long term contracts for older vets, but then they signed one anyway.

Calling out players is often the wrong people, sometimes it those that make decisions.

These players are not that bad, it is a bad mix though.

OEL overpaid or not is a better dman on a better team, the same with Myers but on this team they just aren't enough

What draws attention is their contracts that were given to them by stupid GM's.

What person would ever say "No I don't want a couple of million dollars"?

Benning equated amount paid to automatic quality and indoctrinated some fans into the same idealism.

16 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

If you are costing the team a +4 million cap hit, what do you need to start playing like it?

If I was a player, I'd read the message for sure. It's fun in CDC!

And what it takes playing like a 4mil+ player? Quite simply...................Motivation!

I'm no psychologist. But it's not just the money. There's other factors involved with, if you will, 'The big payday!' Is greed a part? It's definitely a factor, but not always. Security for the future? For many I would say yes. Many players have young families and to secure a big payday helps in their mental well being. On the other hand........

Maybe they like to gamble and buy nice, expensive things. Perhaps they have drug/alcohol issues.....(apologies if that hits home for anyone. I mean no disrespect. Just saying'.)

Okay. I'm off on a tangent of doom an' gloom. Back to topic.......

Yea. Motivation. That's the ticket!  

It's funny, (More like, perturbed funny, not HaHa funny!) how some players play lights out in the last year of their contracts when they're lookin' to get a payday. And when they get it, some seem to take their foot off the gas. Hmmmm......funny that is.

NHL management take on a large contract for various reason. Obviously the most obvious.............to bolster a team need with regards to position or playoff performance. And teams know what they have in drafted future stars and want to keep 'em cuz they know said future star players will factor in on their teams success So give 'em da' money!

19 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I am talking

Myers

OEL

Millar

Pearson

Demko

and why we are overpaying others, because they are playing so much better than you: 

Petterson,

Hughes,

Kuzmenko,

Markstrom,

Tanev,

Sedin,

Sedin,

Sedin,

Sedin,

I don't understand what you're trying to point out?  You want accountability from the Media?  Good luck with that.

7 hours ago, ToTellTheTruth said:

They do the best they can, simply as that. There is no magic pill. Well there is but the NHL frowns on the use of cold medications, the go to drug used to be non drowsy Sudafeds, still used for colds. I don't think it is a prescribed off limits medication. Usually results in added jump for a longer period of time.

BUT

Someone at 26 yrs old plays much better than when 32 yrs old and having suffered numerous injuries.

Sometimes time just catches up, no, time always catches up.

That is why Rutherford said he didn't like long term contracts for older vets, but then they signed one anyway.

Calling out players is often the wrong people, sometimes it those that make decisions.

These players are not that bad, it is a bad mix though.

OEL overpaid or not is a better dman on a better team, the same with Myers but on this team they just aren't enough

What draws attention is their contracts that were given to them by stupid GM's.

What person would ever say "No I don't want a couple of million dollars"?

Benning equated amount paid to automatic quality and indoctrinated some fans into the same idealism.

So why are we not shopping JT out before his contract jumps $3 mil. next fall. And can we give Myers an ankle sprain too, did you see the game last night with OEL sidelined. We could make the playoffs without the dandy-long-legs trying to stop antd

• Like 1

Just now, EastCoastNucks said:

Hey, I am just saying, we didnt take Myers as a goaltender. and all the sudden since coming here he wants to stop shots instead of going and getting the puck. we are not paying him more than Demko to be a goalie. 

this is the first guy I am calling out. Myers needs to get his game back.

On 2/22/2023 at 7:03 PM, EastCoastNucks said:

I am talking

Myers

OEL

Millar

Pearson

Demko

Petterson,

Hughes,

Kuzmenko,

Markstrom,

Tanev,

Sedin,

Sedin,

Sedin,

Sedin,

I agree that the Sedin's were way overpaid in their last contract.

1 minute ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Myers needs to go!  Stop beating around the bush!

I dont think we could move him. But he could learn to play like he did in winnepeg. Instead of trying to be a goalie he needs to go after the player/puck. He is too skinny to just keep trying to block the puck.

OEL is the opposite, instead of ducking the puck he needs to take a few hits.

On 2/23/2023 at 3:35 PM, GB5 said:

Any player who read this message board would probably be asking for a trade out of Vancouver as soon as they could get to the airport.

Hey buddy, I have good memories of Garth Butcher as a Canuck fan but he also had a horrible +/- and as good as the canucks were back then, its kinda the same situation we have right now. Top ten in scoring, top two goals against. We just need defense to be defensive, like Hughes and Bear. Funny we called him Huggy Bear and then we got Bear.

Myers and OEL just need to get back to basics and get some hunger. Did anyone else see how well Myers played when Bruce B. sat OEL on the bench? 

Players will not *always* play to their contract. They'll have down times. You tout Petey as playing "so much better", but your memory appears short, considering how truly awful he played for an extended stretch to start last year. 

Ultimately, you pay for the average - and hope there is relative consistency. Maybe you hit a home-run with a guy who's clutch every night, and maybe your player falls off a cliff like Eriksson and forgets how to play the game. The GM's job is to mitigate the latter as much as possible, but nobody is infallible.

I also think that sometimes we forget that these are human beings. They hurt - both physically and mentally. They may have depression, or lose all sense of self-confidence and their ability to play to the expectations. They have issues with their children, and their wives. They have deaths in their family like you and I. Now, with all this said, they are bound by legal contract and bound by the morality of being paid millions to perform to the best of their abilities. But maybe - just maybe - they're people too.

7 hours ago, kloubek said:

Players will not *always* play to their contract. They'll have down times. You tout Petey as playing "so much better", but your memory appears short, considering how truly awful he played for an extended stretch to start last year. 

Ultimately, you pay for the average - and hope there is relative consistency. Maybe you hit a home-run with a guy who's clutch every night, and maybe your player falls off a cliff like Eriksson and forgets how to play the game. The GM's job is to mitigate the latter as much as possible, but nobody is infallible.

I also think that sometimes we forget that these are human beings. They hurt - both physically and mentally. They may have depression, or lose all sense of self-confidence and their ability to play to the expectations. They have issues with their children, and their wives. They have deaths in their family like you and I. Now, with all this said, they are bound by legal contract and bound by the morality of being paid millions to perform to the best of their abilities. But maybe - just maybe - they're people too.

Agree with everything, except 'You tout Petey as playing "so much better",' I never said that. I think Petey plays his worth. his heart. I never said he was better than anyone else.

to me, Schenn is just as valuable as Petey for his worth, his heart.

On 2/25/2023 at 9:25 PM, ShawnAntoski said:

OEL should be the MAIN priority, to be shipped out cause good chance, he adds nothing to locker room.  Convenient injury to stay away from Tocchet and two top notch d men, in Foote & Gonchar.  

Good luck with that. Unlike some of our players who still have value, OEL is clearly in "negative value" territory. I'd say the time to move him is in 2-3 years. Why? Glad you asked.

First, that's 2-3 more years off his term. An acquiring team would find that a lot more palatable than four years.
Second, he hasn't had a good season. If he at least got back to where he was last year, he makes his contract look not QUITE as bad and hence it is easier to move.

Third, while we have been up against the cap forever, this is a rare time where we might not be too concerned about it, as we're not going to be particularly competitive anyway. Given how much we know it would cost to move OEL (likely in draft picks) I think we are better off just waiting it out for now. By the time his term is close to reaching it's end, we should have a better idea of whether it is worthwhile just to play it out, or move him for the reduced cost.

Just now, kloubek said:

Good luck with that. Unlike some of our players who still have value, OEL is clearly in "negative value" territory. I'd say the time to move him is in 2-3 years. Why? Glad you asked.

First, that's 2-3 more years off his term. An acquiring team would find that a lot more palatable than four years.
Second, he hasn't had a good season. If he at least got back to where he was last year, he makes his contract look not QUITE as bad and hence it is easier to move.

Third, while we have been up against the cap forever, this is a rare time where we might not be too concerned about it, as we're not going to be particularly competitive anyway. Given how much we know it would cost to move OEL (likely in draft picks) I think we are better off just waiting it out for now. By the time his term is close to reaching it's end, we should have a better idea of whether it is worthwhile just to play it out, or move him for the reduced cost.

I get it but a FO that is intended on getting rid of OEL, will find a deal or buy him out.  Worst case, he replaces Ferland in LTIR and the Canucks learns to weapons the Cap