The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Sam Malinski

Not sure why we'd target Malinski over Livingstone. A bit older, less production and smaller. From what few videos I've seen Livingston moves well, has an NHL-ready body and frame, produces more and would be a better fit alongside Hughes. Not sure how Malinski and Hughes would line up together. Plus, BC boy for what it's worth.

Really haven't heard much buzz about Livingston, just Malinski, so I hope we're in on him too. After just acquiring Hronek as well we don't really need another puck mover on the right side but Livingston could adjust his game to play safer defence while Hughes jumps up in the rush more.

Guess we'll have to wait until the finals are over before the real buzz starts.

6 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Not sure why we'd target Malinski over Livingstone. A bit older, less production and smaller. From what few videos I've seen Livingston moves well, has an NHL-ready body and frame, produces more and would be a better fit alongside Hughes. Not sure how Malinski and Hughes would line up together. Plus, BC boy for what it's worth.

Really haven't heard much buzz about Livingston, just Malinski, so I hope we're in on him too. After just acquiring Hronek as well we don't really need another puck mover on the right side but Livingston could adjust his game to play safer defence while Hughes jumps up in the rush more.

Guess we'll have to wait until the finals are over before the real buzz starts.

Pretty sure we’re in on both, but there are up to 32 teams interested

• Cheers 1

After the Hronek trade, PA talked about speed being part of our team identity, and especially the defence transitioning the puck to our forwards. He also alluded to Hronek playing with Quinn. This left me wondering if they are really trying to balance the D pairs with shut down partners, or if they’re considering loading up with ‘modern NHL defenders.’

I’d love to have a dedicated shutdown pair with size, but am also intrigued with the idea of a highly skilled D core, that keeps the puck in the offensive zone. 

• Vintage 1

Tocchet’s comments on LVK defence indicate we’ll be targeting size on the backend

“I didn't like our first (period) at all,” Tocchet said. “It's a good test for our team because Vegas, they're one of my favorite teams with their defence. That's where we strive to (be): a big defence that moves the puck.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Think Livingstone and Hirose are signed by then?

It’s hard to say. Livingstone’s camp has done a good job keeping his intentions under wraps. It could be that he’s still weighing options, which might make for a lengthy process and a bit of a sweepstakes. Or he could know his choice already, in which case I’d assume a deal happens quickly.

Hirose I could see signing quickly if a good offer is put in front of him. If a team steps up and is willing to let him burn 2022-23, I think he’ll sign. But I’m sort of hoping he takes a 2023-24 (with the Canucks).

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Looks like some pressure from Denver with 6 unanswered shots, but times running out

Yeah, sounds like they underestimated Cornell and weren’t expecting the pace set early. Got on their heels and behind on the scoreboard. Eventually adjusted to simplify their game and play more direct, but too little too late. Also some score effects probably happening as Cornell naturally wants to defend the lead.

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Malinski / Andreev sweepstakes will have to wait til Saturday…

Yup. Just watched the last 15 minutes of their game. That Malinski guy plays a similar game to Chris Tanev. Very smart defender who skated well. He would compliment Hughes nicely. 
Livingston is bigger, but is kind of a lumbering skater. Of course we would be fortunate to get these guys, but think Malinski is the better player. Unless we get Livingston and Malinski goes elsewhere. Then Livingston is great! 

14 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Yeah, sounds like they underestimated Cornell and weren’t expecting the pace set early. Got on their heels and behind on the scoreboard. Eventually adjusted to simplify their game and play more direct, but too little too late. Also some score effects probably happening as Cornell naturally wants to defend the lead.

Elite skill in NCAA hockey is there for the freshman and maybe junior years. Those guys come out early (like in basketball) to play in the NHL. The four year guys tend to be complimentary players.  Hard working and good players but not going to be game breakers. 

• Cheers 1