The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Top 10 realistic, off-season shutdown RHD targets (poll complete)

Top 10 realistic, off-season shutdown RHD targets   

37 members have voted

1. 1. Who should we target via trade?

• Kaedan Korczak, (VGK) 
    • Will Borgen, (SEA) 
    • Andrew Peeke, (CLB)
    • Helge Grans, (LAK)
    • Callan Foote, (TBL)
    • Dante Fabbro, (NSH)
    • Ryan Mast, (BOS)
    • Conor Murphy, (CHI)
    • Henri Jokiharu, (BUF)
    • Carson Lambos*, (MIN)
    • other (add in a post)
  2. 2. Which RFA's should we target via offer sheet or re-sign?

• Will Borgen, (SEA)
    • Callan Foote, (TBL)
    • Dante Fabbro, (NSH)
    • Ethan Bear, (VAN) *re-sign
    • other (add in post)
    • none of the above
  3. 3. Which UFA's should we target?

• Jack Livingstone, (NCAA)
    • Sam Malinski, (NCAA)
    • Scott Mayfield, (NYI)
    • Luke Schenn, (VAN)
    • Damon Severson, (NJD)
    • Nikita Tryamkin*, (KHL)
    • Erik Johnson, (COL)
    • Ryan Graves*, (NJD)
    • Nick Jensen, (WSH)
    • Connor Clifton, (BOS)
    • other (add in a post)
  4. 4. Which Canucks Prospects should get a look?

• Filip Johansson, (SHL)
    • Jet Woo, (ABB)
    • Viktor Perssonn, (Liiga)
    • none - let them all develop for another year

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/26/2023 at 09:17 PM

@Kenny Powers

Couple guys missing from your list I think:

1. Hardy Häman Aktell

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/242658/hardy-haman-aktell

2. Henry Thrun

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/445218/henry-thrun

I know they are both LHD but if we are buying out OEL we will need a bargain bin LHD with upside that we can plug into the lineup and be able to survive the monster cap hit years of sunk cap.

I do like both these kids. And I think Aktell would be the more likely signing for us as a club.

If we signed both Aktell + Livingstone that would be a pretty awesome addition to our blue line depth. 

Hughes-Livingstone

Aktell-Bear

Dermott/Wolanin-Schenn

They could be not ready for the NHL let alone Livingstone to take on top pairing minutes and Aktell could struggle to adjust especially considering Bear isn't a clear cut top 4 guy himself.

Dermott will be healthier next season and if we resign Schenn it gives us a safety valve for growing pains.

I just dont see us doing. trade to acquire a VET top 4 dman or signing a UFA dman this offseason to big money / term if doing an OEL buy out.

We could be looking at something like that. Because Filip and Jurmo both will need AHL time and I think Aktell and Livinigstone are ahead in their development of both of them.

Even D units with established likes of:

Krug/Parayko/Faulk/Leddy

Have struggled. I dont even understand how the islanders Defence + Goaltending combo haven't won more games. Its making me question so much about how back ends are built and whaat actually works.

Running two 24 Year old Rookies out In our D Core might not work though but I feel like this scenario is a possibility and even though they are rookies they both have size 6 3 and 6 4 and look to be NHL level D Men to me.

-

I cant imagine them being worse than OEL-Myers though to be frank.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, R3aL said:

@Kenny Powers

Couple guys missing from your list I think:

1. Hardy Häman Aktell

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/242658/hardy-haman-aktell

2. Henry Thrun

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/445218/henry-thrun

I know they are both LHD but if we are buying out OEL we will need a bargain bin LHD with upside that we can plug into the lineup and be able to survive the monster cap hit years of sunk cap.

I do like both these kids. And I think Aktell would be the more likely signing for us as a club.

If we signed both Aktell + Livingstone that would be a pretty awesome addition to our blue line depth. 

Hughes-Livingstone

Aktell-Bear

Dermott/Wolanin-Schenn

They could be not ready for the NHL let alone Livingstone to take on top pairing minutes and Aktell could struggle to adjust especially considering Bear isn't a clear cut top 4 guy himself.

Dermott will be healthier next season and if we resign Schenn it gives us a safety valve for growing pains.

I just dont see us doing. trade to acquire a VET top 4 dman or signing a UFA dman this offseason to big money / term if doing an OEL buy out.

We could be looking at something like that. Because Filip and Jurmo both will need AHL time and I think Aktell and Livinigstone are ahead in their development of both of them.

Even D units with established likes of:

Krug/Parayko/Faulk/Leddy

Have struggled. I dont even understand how the islanders Defence + Goaltending combo haven't won more games. Its making me question so much about how back ends are built and whaat actually works.

Running two 24 Year old Rookies out In our D Core might not work though but I feel like this scenario is a possibility and even though they are rookies they both have size 6 3 and 6 4 and look to be NHL level D Men to me.

-

I cant imagine them being worse than OEL-Myers though to be frank.

Great post, thank you.

The left side behind Hughes is a whole other ball of wax. I can’t see us buying out OEL this year myself …still holding out hope he was playing injured or something, and returns to form.

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Great post, thank you.

The left side behind Hughes is a whole other ball of wax. I can’t see us buying out OEL this year myself …still holding out hope he was playing injured or something, and returns to form.

It is very possible.

Lets say OEL Foot Injury compromised his summer training.

So he came into camp not in the form / shape expected of a top 4 dman or Assistant Captain should. Compromising his already less than ideal mobility and making puck retrieval  even more difficult.

And perhaps the foot worsened as he season went on.

I dont see why there would be such a huge drop off in: Mental Mistakes / Puck Moving.

His passing hasn't been as crisp as we saw last year, his decision making and defensive positioning has been very strange and he successfully played a very small percentage of 2 on 1s.  

I am not ready to give him a pass but I am open minded to perhaps he was physically in much worse condition then we know.

• Cheers 1

Honestly I don't like the look of any of them really, we're not going to get the stud RD we want without trading a massive piece (Horvat, Miller), and we've already whiffed on one of them. If we can't get a star young RD with Horvat we won't get a decent one with anyone else in the team. Miller is the final piece to dangle, it would make our team a bit worse but he does still carry decent value for a contending team. 

Borgen would be nice but I'd hate to think what we'd have to give Seattle to get him - under-stated RD who logs big minutes for them. Peeke is the same, still young so probably fits with CBJ's retool. New Jersey should be our target, they have too many D-men there, Nemec is surely going to be playing top-4 minutes next year. Hamilton is up for a Norris so out of the question, Severson somehow logs bigger minutes than Hamilton some nights but gets a lot of hate for making Myers-like mistakes, and obviously his contract is up so I think he's the odd man out. He could easily just be the next Myers though.

2 hours ago, R3aL said:

It is very possible.

Lets say OEL Foot Injury compromised his summer training.

So he came into camp not in the form / shape expected of a top 4 dman or Assistant Captain should. Compromising his already less than ideal mobility and making puck retrieval  even more difficult.

And perhaps the foot worsened as he season went on.

I dont see why there would be such a huge drop off in: Mental Mistakes / Puck Moving.

His passing hasn't been as crisp as we saw last year, his decision making and defensive positioning has been very strange and he successfully played a very small percentage of 2 on 1s.  

I am not ready to give him a pass but I am open minded to perhaps he was physically in much worse condition then we know.

Agreed. Sat Shah mentioned several Canucks have been playing injured this season. We‘ll see if OEL was one of them.

Either way, we won’t likely ‘fix’ our defence in the off-season, but rather add 2-3 players/prospects and (hopefully) drop Myers.  The OEL buyout looks better if we can wait for another year or two. Seems more realistic we trade Myers after his bonus is paid.

Edited by Kenny Powers

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Honestly I don't like the look of any of them really, we're not going to get the stud RD we want without trading a massive piece (Horvat, Miller), and we've already whiffed on one of them. If we can't get a star young RD with Horvat we won't get a decent one with anyone else in the team. Miller is the final piece to dangle, it would make our team a bit worse but he does still carry decent value for a contending team. 

Borgen would be nice but I'd hate to think what we'd have to give Seattle to get him - under-stated RD who logs big minutes for them. Peeke is the same, still young so probably fits with CBJ's retool. New Jersey should be our target, they have too many D-men there, Nemec is surely going to be playing top-4 minutes next year. Hamilton is up for a Norris so out of the question, Severson somehow logs bigger minutes than Hamilton some nights but gets a lot of hate for making Myers-like mistakes, and obviously his contract is up so I think he's the odd man out. He could easily just be the next Myers though.

With regards to Peeke and Columbus, Cbj have a wealth on the right side. Jiricek and Cuelemans are close if not ready, Bodqvist brings more of an offensive element and they just signed Gudbranson. Maybe Peeke is the odd man out. 

5 hours ago, Boknows08 said:

With regards to Peeke and Columbus, Cbj have a wealth on the right side. Jiricek and Cuelemans are close if not ready, Bodqvist brings more of an offensive element and they just signed Gudbranson. Maybe Peeke is the odd man out. 

They could use scoring, I was hoping we'd do a trade involving Miller, Garland or Boeser for Peeke a while ago. They need D right now with Werenski out but maybe next year?

I wanted Miller for Peeke + Roslovic/Kuraly but that's a bit much. 

Boeser + 2nd or 3rd for Peeke straight up? Heck I'd even give Rathbone as the sweetener. Peeke slots straight in as our top RD with Hughes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

They could use scoring, I was hoping we'd do a trade involving Miller, Garland or Boeser for Peeke a while ago. They need D right now with Werenski out but maybe next year?

I wanted Miller for Peeke + Roslovic/Kuraly but that's a bit much. 

Boeser + 2nd or 3rd for Peeke straight up? Heck I'd even give Rathbone as the sweetener. Peeke slots straight in as our top RD with Hughes.

Likewise, was hoping for the same last season or in the summer. 

Miller for Peeke+

On 2/23/2023 at 1:29 PM, Kenny Powers said:

Agreed. Sat Shah mentioned several Canucks have been playing injured this season. We‘ll see if OEL was one of them.

Either way, we won’t likely ‘fix’ our defence in the off-season, but rather add 2-3 players/prospects and (hopefully) drop Myers.  The OEL buyout looks better if we can wait for another year or two. Seems more realistic we trade Myers after his bonus is paid.

I’m not sure if the buyout gets better or not in 1-2 years someone told me here it doesn’t but I might be remembering that wrong. 

On 2/23/2023 at 12:26 AM, Wolfgang Durst said:

quote from Chris Faber on Filip Johansson:

There’s not a lot to love about his defensive game,” Faber writes. “He’s not physical at all and goes with more of a stretch and poke type of defending instead of using leverage with the body to generate turnovers. He often gets caught pinching too much and those poorly timed pinches create concerns defensively.”

He's listed at 6.0 and 176 lbs.

I'd like to see what he's got at camp regardless of who's said what. He'll likely need AHL time but I'd still like to see. It's not as if we're swimming in RD prospects. 

Edited by Coconuts

Trade: Andrew Peeke (3 Years)

I believe Columbus has come out and said Peeke is a trade candidate. I believe he would flourish under Tocchett and solidify our top pairing alongside Hughes. I would offer…

To VAN: Peeke

To CLB: Rathbone + Hoglander + 3rd

UFA: Jack Livingstone (ELC)

I would go hard after Livingstone, a big body RHD who plays well on both ends of the ice. 

Draft: 1st NYI - Reinbacher/-

Pellikka/Simashev

Any one of these 3 would bolster the pipeline. 

UFA: Schenn (2 years)

I think he’s great for the young guys, leads by example, great locker room guy and he loves being here. 

UFA: Graves (5 years) 

Graves would solidify the left-side, a big body at 6’5” and 220 lbs who plays with an edge, something the Canucks have been missing on the back-end. 

Buyout: Poolman (4 years) 

A savings of 2 million per for the next two years but costing us an extra 1 million per for the following two years at which point the cap should see an increase, so it’d be minuscule. 

Conclusion: I believe Myers is gone next season but rather then after the bonus, management might wait until the TDL to maximize value. The savings from Myers would go to Graves but the collective salaries of Peeke, Livingstone and Schenn should allow us to keep OEL for another two seasons at which point he’s either traded (with retention) or bought out. 

Hughes - Peeke

Graves - Livingstone

OEL - Schenn

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Doogie said:

Trade: Andrew Peeke (3 Years)

I believe Columbus has come out and said Peeke is a trade candidate. I believe he would flourish under Tocchett and solidify our top pairing alongside Hughes. I would offer…

To VAN: Peeke

To CLB: Rathbone + Hoglander + 3rd

UFA: Jack Livingstone (ELC)

I would go hard after Livingstone, a big body RHD who plays well on both ends of the ice. 

Draft: 1st NYI - Reinbacher/-

Pellikka/Simashev

Any one of these 3 would bolster the pipeline. 

UFA: Schenn (2 years)

I think he’s great for the young guys, leads by example, great locker room guy and he loves being here. 

UFA: Graves (5 years) 

Graves would solidify the left-side, a big body at 6’5” and 220 lbs who plays with an edge, something the Canucks have been missing on the back-end. 

Buyout: Poolman (4 years) 

A savings of 2 million per for the next two years but costing us an extra 1 million per for the following two years at which point the cap should see an increase, so it’d be minuscule. 

Conclusion: I believe Myers is gone next season but rather then after the bonus, management might wait until the TDL to maximize value. The savings from Myers would go to Graves but the collective salaries of Peeke, Livingstone and Schenn should allow us to keep OEL for another two seasons at which point he’s either traded (with retention) or bought out. 

Hughes - Peeke

Graves - Livingstone

OEL - Schenn

Not sure if Columbus takes that deal, but love the proposal.

The top 10 are updated in the OP and below:

1. Jack Livingstone (NCAA) - UFA - (31 votes)

2. Ethan Bear (VAN) - RFA - (27 votes)

3. Luke Schenn (VAN) - UFA (20 votes)

4. Andrew Peeke (CLB) - trade - (15 votes)

5. Kaedan Korczak (VGK) - trade - (14 votes)

6. Callan Foote (TBL) - trade - (13 votes) 

7.  Ryan Graves* (NJD) - UFA - (12 votes)

8. Callan Foote (TBL) - RFA offer sheet - (11 votes)

9. Sam Malinski (NCAA) - UFA - (10 votes)

10. Nikita Tryamkin* (KHL) - UFA - (7 votes)

10.Damon Severson (NJD) - UFA - (7 votes)

• 84% of voters agree we should take a run at Livingstone.
  • 73% want us to re-sign Bear (which is apparently in the works)
  • 65% are in favour of bringing Schenn back

Top trade targets are Peeke, Korczak and Foote (who is also eligible to sign an offer sheet).

Edited by Kenny Powers

• Ted Lasso changed the title to [Discussion] Top 10 realistic, off-season shutdown RHD targets (poll complete)

Me resign Bear as 3rd pairing  rhd 2 years

Livingstone go after hard.

Bring in Johansson 

There are our three rhd next year. 

LD.  QH.  OEL. Trade Myers and Rathbone for a solid stay at home LD plus a pick in 2024 draft.