The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

Didn’t the kings trade a 1st in the deal for Gavrikov?

Why are we signing him all of a sudden? 

Plus we simply don’t have the cap space to be filling top 4 spots on D via UFA.  If we land someone, it’ll likely be like Marcus Pettersson via trade.

Or a bargain bin type. 

Big reason why I think we’ll bring back Bear as long as he doesn’t get greedy.  Or circle back on Schenn depending on if we can land a big freebie fish like Livingstone. 

Burrows and Wolanin are great but they need to be 7-8 or even 9 down the depth chart - they’ll still get to play. 

• Like 1
  • There it is 1

33 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like what you are suggesting. I don’t think Bear makes the cut next fall. Burroughs as. 7/8. Maybe wishful thinking with Livingstone with Hughes but wouldn’t that be nice. The one player you are missing is the young Swede, Johansson? Not sure if I have the name right. He is supposed to be a RD so putting him with Wolanin could interesting. More options this fall than we have seen in a long time.

When do you think LD Elias Pettersson may be ready? A couple of years?

35 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like what you are suggesting. I don’t think Bear makes the cut next fall. Burroughs as. 7/8. Maybe wishful thinking with Livingstone with Hughes but wouldn’t that be nice. The one player you are missing is the young Swede, Johansson? Not sure if I have the name right. He is supposed to be a RD so putting him with Wolanin could interesting. More options this fall than we have seen in a long time.

DP

Edited by BarnBurner

34 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Hronek is a far superior player to Bear. If we do keep OEL, which I doubt, the he will be carried on the second pairing by Hronek. I think we sign Livingston, which means (if Myers is still here) Bear is let go.  If Myers is moved, then we will keep Bear. 

Highes Livingston 

OEL Hronek

Dermott Myers/Bear

Burr. 

I’m having doubts Dermott is going to play much or again like Poolman 

46 minutes ago, R3aL said:

The world it makes sense to me to keep OEL and qualify BEAR

Is if we sign Jake Livingstone to an ELC.

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE/BEAR

GAVRIKOV-HRONEK

OEL-BEAR/LIVINGSTONE

1. Livingstone is going to want opportunity where he signs. I mean we give him every opportunity to play with Hughes but if he’s not ready for it in it’s entirety it would be nice to have Bear there. We do know Bear can play with Hughes. 

2. Gavrikov-Hronek will be eating meaningful and hard minutes making Hughes even more effective over the course of 60 minutes. This would take some pressure off Livingstones rookie year.

3. OELs best partner all year imo was Bear. Bears puck retrieval and mobility really helped OEL. A healthier OEL-BEAR should be a very effective 3rd pairing.

4. Bear could probably be had for a 1 year deal. As having some opportunity to continue building on his market value here in an improved system and oils set him up to cash in next UFA season. If all goes smooth. 

5. Hronek extension, we still will have an OEL buyout as an ace in our pocket next offseason. But if OEL has a good summer and a decent year we may be able to trade him with retention rather than buy him out. Bear extension would only be 1 year in my Vision of it working so he wouldn’t impact Hronek money / cap issue.

My opinion on how it could shake down. 

I like your options. You could add Johanssson the Swedish kid Allvin is so high on. Thoughts were he could move to the NHL from the SHL next year.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

… or don’t bother qualifying him.  He is a 3rd pairing D and will be asking for more money than he is worth.  We have to save money to re-sign Hroken now at a several million dollar raise soon.

Just a joke. Original comment was more about OEL...Bear was a place holder. QH and Hronek are clearly the only guarantees for next year. Every other D is a place filler until mgmt decides how to move forward. 

Could easily see Bear walking. Myers will likely be traded (if they can) and Mgmt needs to decide on which lower level D to keep.

OEL makes things tough...can he improve or can he be traded with cap/money retained? More than likely he is on the team but I think they need to put him in a position to be an offensive D-man again and partner him with a defensively responsible D partner.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, R3aL said:

The world it makes sense to me to keep OEL and qualify BEAR

Is if we sign Jake Livingstone to an ELC.

HUGHES-LIVINGSTONE/BEAR

GAVRIKOV-HRONEK

OEL-BEAR/LIVINGSTONE

1. Livingstone is going to want opportunity where he signs. I mean we give him every opportunity to play with Hughes but if he’s not ready for it in it’s entirety it would be nice to have Bear there. We do know Bear can play with Hughes. 

2. Gavrikov-Hronek will be eating meaningful and hard minutes making Hughes even more effective over the course of 60 minutes. This would take some pressure off Livingstones rookie year.

3. OELs best partner all year imo was Bear. Bears puck retrieval and mobility really helped OEL. A healthier OEL-BEAR should be a very effective 3rd pairing.

4. Bear could probably be had for a 1 year deal. As having some opportunity to continue building on his market value here in an improved system and oils set him up to cash in next UFA season. If all goes smooth. 

5. Hronek extension, we still will have an OEL buyout as an ace in our pocket next offseason. But if OEL has a good summer and a decent year we may be able to trade him with retention rather than buy him out. Bear extension would only be 1 year in my Vision of it working so he wouldn’t impact Hronek money / cap issue.

My opinion on how it could shake down. 

I know it all can’t be fixed in one season, but having either of those guys in the top four is asking to miss the playoffs.

We also need to somehow shed a crap ton of cap to make it possible to think about signing Gavrikov.  So far the brass has utterly failed to do that.

My world of how a revamped top 4 could work is.

Trade Myers once his bonus is paid, trade Bear’s rights for whatever, trade Garland or Boeser hopefully.  Use that money for Gavrikov.

Trade Miller for Parayko who is on the block due to recent struggles in St. Louis.  They replace O’Reilly with Miller.  We swap out long term cap liabilities and save some cap.

Hughes-Parayko

Gavrikov-Hronek

OEL-Schenn/Tryamkin/Poolman

We have a big hole in 2C, but can sign a bandaid guy until whoever we draft this year is ready (1-3 years).

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I like your options. You could add Johanssson the Swedish kid Allvin is so high on. Thoughts were he could move to the NHL from the SHL next year.

Potentially. Worried about his defensive play but yes it’s totally possible.

If we were signing Livingstone though I’d prefer to only have one rookie RHD in the starting 6 if we are seriously “going for it”

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

I know it all can’t be fixed in one season, but having either of those guys in the top four is asking to miss the playoffs.

We also need to somehow shed a crap ton of cap to make it possible to think about signing Gavrikov.  So far the brass has utterly failed to do that.

My world of how a revamped top 4 could work is.

Trade Myers once his bonus is paid, trade Bear’s rights for whatever, trade Garland or Boeser hopefully.  Use that money for Gavrikov.

Trade Miller for Parayko who is on the block due to recent struggles in St. Louis.  They replace O’Reilly with Miller.  We swap out long term cap liabilities and save some cap.

Hughes-Parayko

Gavrikov-Hronek

OEL-Schenn/Tryamkin/Poolman

We have a big hole in 2C, but can sign a bandaid guy until whoever we draft this year is ready (1-3 years).

Wow. There are options man, that dont involve losing Garland and Boeser. And someone has to want both Miller, Myers and why do you think OEL is worth both a Boeser and a Garland? you never mention how OEL gets off your win list.

1 minute ago, R3aL said:

I’m not so sure of that. In regards to Bear / Livingstone in the top 4. Hughes on the ice with anyone has not hurt us and if we have a super solid Gavrikov-Hronek pair and a league average or strong third pair with Demko and a much more solid structured team play system it would be a massive upgrade to what we’ve had past few years.

the numbers have been strong for Hughes-Bear but that’s more about Hughes than anything. 

I like Millers impact much more than Parayko. I’m not a Parayko fan he’s looked very slow and vulnerable as of late. 

it would be like adding another OEL in my opinion.

and if we trade Miller we have a huge 2-3C hole.

i know some people think miller ain’t a C but he’s shown he can be. He matches up insanely with Matthews and with our coaching staff working closely with him, a strong system short shifts and having a guy like mikehyev riding shotgun with him next season he’s much more valuable to our team than Parayko in my opinion 

Yeah, I’m not fully convinced we need to break the bank on a partner for Hughes.  At least not as a priority.  A Bear/Schenn bandaid there might be fine and maybe a guy like Livingstone could get a look - but that’s a huge jump.

Id be out looking for a rock solid LD who can anchor the PK more than anything.  To play with Hronek, maybe, as well.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, R3aL said:

I’m not so sure of that. In regards to Bear / Livingstone in the top 4. Hughes on the ice with anyone has not hurt us and if we have a super solid Gavrikov-Hronek pair and a league average or strong third pair with Demko and a much more solid structured team play system it would be a massive upgrade to what we’ve had past few years.

the numbers have been strong for Hughes-Bear but that’s more about Hughes than anything. 

I like Millers impact much more than Parayko. I’m not a Parayko fan he’s looked very slow and vulnerable as of late. 

it would be like adding another OEL in my opinion.

and if we trade Miller we have a huge 2-3C hole.

i know some people think miller ain’t a C but he’s shown he can be. He matches up insanely with Matthews and with our coaching staff working closely with him, a strong system short shifts and having a guy like mikehyev riding shotgun with him next season he’s much more valuable to our team than Parayko in my opinion 

i dont think it matters, but I concur. 

which is why Hughes should play with Myers till we can sell him, then play with OEL till we can sell him. Bear can play with anyone at all meantime

• Like 1