The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Red Wings trade Filip Hronek, 2023 4th-round pick to Canucks for conditional 2023 1st-round pick (NYI), 2023 2nd-round pick

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I was thinking Anaheim.  Nice to retire in California.  They are $20 million short of hitting the cap floor next year.  Maybe they would bite on a trade with some retention in place and OEL waives his NMC...

Yes, we NEED to at least ask him about the NMC.  Give us a few teams to work with, and retain $2.5M on him.  OEL @ 4.76M is a fine defenceman on most teams.  He's not a bad defenceman.  He's just way overpaid right now.

17 minutes ago, MeanSeanBean said:

I'm no where close to the point of being able to judge the job this management has done. I gave Benning 5 or 6 years before I soured. But I do feel comfortable expressing concern when events arise. To me, this trade feels concerning. I would no be shocked if we trade our first this year, and that would be completely unforgivable.

Good take. 

Let’s say we don’t win the lottery, and land at 9OA. You wouldn’t trade that for anything?

I’d prefer we keep and use it on a C or D, but have to think it’s in play if the price is right, no?

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

It's not ideal for sure.  Not saying it's the best thing to happen.  It just seems like a necessity at this point.  We aren't in the same situation when Loui was around and we could just bury him on the 4th line with a $6 million cap hit.  This team needs to start winning next year.  We are in a full retool and are looking to make the playoffs next year.  Not sure we want to have an anchor contract on the backend for 4 more years while Petey and Hughes are in their prime window...

Petey and Hughes theoretically hit their prime in 3 or 4 years (around 27 years old).  OEL's contract will be done right around that time frame.

Just now, Elias Pettersson said:

It's not ideal for sure.  Not saying it's the best thing to happen.  It just seems like a necessity at this point.  We aren't in the same situation when Loui was around and we could just bury him on the 4th line with a $6 million cap hit.  This team needs to start winning next year.  We are in a full retool and are looking to make the playoffs next year.  Not sure we want to have an anchor contract on the backend for 4 more years while Petey and Hughes are in their prime window...

Dead cap for that long is just as damaging though.

Id rather try and rebuild him here and either have him play a role or convince him to waive for another team. 

We don’t know what’s going on in his head maybe he’s ready to move on. All those avenues need to be explored first, and if after a couple more seasons he’s still weighing us down then you buy him out.

We can’t be making more short sighted decisions that cost us more later. That’s how we got into this mess. We’re not that close that we need to be so focused on next season. 

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Good take. 

Let’s say we don’t win the lottery, and land at 9OA. You wouldn’t trade that for anything?

I’d prefer we keep and use it on a C or D, but have to think it’s in play if the price is right, no?

I would say that if our pick is 9OA then it is definitely in play to acquire another RHD...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yes, we NEED to at least ask him about the NMC.  Give us a few teams to work with, and retain $2.5M on him.  OEL @ 4.76M is a fine defenceman on most teams.  He's not a bad defenceman.  He's just way overpaid right now.

Yep and he would still be an asset to that team.

All of sudden he starts playing better with the pressure off and they’ve got a top 4 D making under 5 mil they can trade.

It’s not as unrealistic as people are making it out to be. But the first step is getting him healthy and playing better.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

Dead cap for that long is just as damaging though.

Id rather try and rebuild him here and either have him play a role or convince him to waive for another team. 

We don’t know what’s going on in his head maybe he’s ready to move on. All those avenues need to be explored first, and if after a couple more seasons he’s still weighing us down then you buy him out.

We can’t be making more short sighted decisions that cost us more later. That’s how we got into this mess. We’re not that close that we need to be so focused on next season. 

If we can convince him to move on with a small retention, then that would be like Manna from heaven and Allvin should win the GM of the year award just for that alone...

I was thinking Anaheim.  Nice to retire in California.  They are $20 million short of hitting the cap floor next year.  Maybe they would bite on a trade with some retention in place and OEL waives his NMC...

If we trade him and have to part with a 1st and/or prospects then we gotta get a player back that fits us. 

Ducks don’t really have anything in that 25ish age range they might be willing to sell as a rebuilding team. They have some older guys though. 

I like Crouse because he’s on a pretty good contract, good age and brings what we need. Would instantly be our most physical forward. Plays in all situations. On pace for almost 30 goals despite more defensive starts. 

8 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Good take. 

No. The Canucks trading yet another 1st round pick for a quick fix would be near unforgivable, in my opinion. That would be a Benningly short sighted moved. No other bottom feeding team (minus the Sens) have been trading 1st and 2nd round picks like baseball cards over the course of their 're-whatever'. That being said, we have even traded more then the Sens. But they had internal cap restrictions for years and more recently they have been trending up while we have been stagnating at the bottom.

Edited by MeanSeanBean
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Yep and he would still be an asset to that team.

All of sudden he starts playing better with the pressure off and they’ve got a top 4 D making under 5 mil they can trade.

It’s not as unrealistic as people are making it out to be. But the first step is getting him healthy and playing better.

Yes, and hoping he plays ball and waives that NMC....

A buyout is just not worth it IMO. 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Good take. 

No team would ever want to take on OEL's contract right now even if offered 9OA.

ENTIRELY different situation with Loui.  (one year left & dealt after his bonus payment which meant Yotes were only on the hook for $3 million in cash for a 6 million cap hit - so they could hit the cap floor without an issue).  OEL's contract has FOUR seasons left after this one.  With a WHOPPING $10.5 million cash salary next season (goes down to EIGHT million cash the next season; and falls after that).  

4 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I would say that if our pick is 9OA then it is definitely in play to acquire another RHD...

That would mean a RHD potentially of higher calibre than Hronek... also in the right age range, and also showing an established career in the NHL already.

• Upvote 2

Just now, HKSR said:

That would mean a RHD potentially of higher calibre than Hronek... also in the right age range, and also showing an established career in the NHL already.

Probably not if we’re sending cap the other way. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Petey and Hughes theoretically hit their prime in 3 or 4 years (around 27 years old).  OEL's contract will be done right around that time frame.

Petey is looking at an 8-year extension this summer.  He wants to win, period.  That is a quote from him directly.  Hughes said "we" aren't interested in a rebuild.  So, if you want these players to hang around then you need to be competitive starting next year, not 3-4 years from now.  That's why they made the Hronek deal.

If management can find a way to be competitive AND keep OEL on the roster then I am sure that would be their first choice.  Also, if they can find a way to trade OEL with some retention then that would actually be the best case scenario.  So, we will wait and find out what they are able to do this summer...

• Upvote 1

Petey is looking at an 8-year extension this summer.  He wants to win, period.  That is a quote from him directly.  Hughes said "we" aren't interested in a rebuild.  So, if you want these players to hang around then you need to be competitive starting next year, not 3-4 years from now.  That's why they made the Hronek deal.

If management can find a way to be competitive AND keep OEL on the roster then I am sure that would be their first choice.  Also, if they can find a way to trade OEL with some retention then that would actually be the best case scenario.  So, we will wait and find out what they are able to do this summer...

I envision a top 4 LHD from UFA (Gavrikov or Graves).  Then either Bear or Schenn with Hughes, and Burroughs on the 3rd pair.

Hughes-Schenn or Bear

Gavrikov-Hronek

OEL-Burroughs

The fact OEL would only be playing 15min a night would be a huge positive already.  He'd probably excel with not having to face the other team's elite forwards night in and night out.

4 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

If we trade him and have to part with a 1st and/or prospects then we gotta get a player back that fits us. 

Ducks don’t really have anything in that 25ish age range they might be willing to sell as a rebuilding team. They have some older guys though. 

I like Crouse because he’s on a pretty good contract, good age and brings what we need. Would instantly be our most physical forward. Plays in all situations. On pace for almost 30 goals despite more defensive starts. 

If we are trading OEL back to Arizona and want Crouse back in return, say goodbye to our 2023 1st round pick.  Do we really want to trade that pick for another winger?  IF we trade that pick (if it falls to 8-9 OA), I am assuming we would trade it for more help on defence.

I wouldn't be looking at actually trying to acquire an asset back in any OEL trade.  Simply getting that cap space off the books with as little retention as possible is already a huge win...

4 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Yes, and hoping he plays ball and waives that NMC....

A buyout is just not worth it IMO. 

I don’t think every player is like Eriksson.

If he sees that he’s in the way of this teams build I think he’ll at least consider it.

They’ll have to present him with a few options and be willing to bite the bullet with retention though. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I don’t think every player is like Eriksson.

If he sees that he’s in the way of this teams build I think he’ll at least consider it.

They’ll have to present him with a few options and be willing to bite the bullet with retention though. 

You would hope so.  At least give a few options for PA/JR to work with.  I'm sure a $4.75M OEL could be moved to a number of teams.