The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Nashville Predators at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 06, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Priceless... no not really priceless cause there is the cap. take MIK out of LTIR and suddenly Millar is not affordable. Can we make OEL and Myers go  to LTIR without getting sued for some kind of MALPRACTICE after the Pearson thing? Nope. I wish it was priceless but it has a definate cost buddy!!!

Cant Speak Nathan Fillion GIF

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

This all started with me posting a roster with reasonable values for players in slots, and with a price tag for holes that could bring in players to make us a playoff team (not a contender).  I couldn’t get it below around $97 million realistically without having a team that is just plain bad.

I am saying and have said that there isn’t a realistic path to contention without entirely blowing it up.  To escape from the bad contracts without mortgaging the future we need to just wait them out, and by that time Hughes and Petey won’t be under club control or just be wanting out.

The only plausible out I see is still trading Miller and hoping we get one of the top three centres available in this draft who can be ready in 0-3 years depending on who we got.

With that we can reallocate about $5 million of Millers money to another top 4D (the rookie would hit some bonuses and cost about $3 million).

So, team tank and hope for a Petey level centre who can provide significant production at low dollars who won’t need a raise until buying out OEL isn’t that costly or the cap has gone up enough to give us breathing room.

… hence, hardcore team tank this year.

I actually agree with you. Looking at cap and the contracts in the next few years we cannot afford Millar. Its the same reason they actually figured we couldnt keep Horvat. So since we cannot get rid of OEL, and have to wait out MYERS we can only just wait to afford the new Pettterson and Hughes contracts.

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

We added a key core piece. Hronek. Top pairing right shot D who will anchor our second pair for 5-7 years. We have created a 5-7 year window for winning with our current young core. 

Whats the difference if we get Hronek now or in th3 summer? He’s not a rental, right? He’s a long term key core piece. 

Yep. but look at the cap, look at the LTIR 

15 minutes ago, Provost said:

This all started with me posting a roster with reasonable values for players in slots, and with a price tag for holes that could bring in players to make us a playoff team (not a contender).  I couldn’t get it below around $97 million realistically without having a team that is just plain bad.

I am saying and have said that there isn’t a realistic path to contention without entirely blowing it up.  To escape from the bad contracts without mortgaging the future we need to just wait them out, and by that time Hughes and Petey won’t be under club control or just be wanting out.

The only plausible out I see is still trading Miller and hoping we get one of the top three centres available in this draft who can be ready in 0-3 years depending on who we got.

With that we can reallocate about $5 million of Millers money to another top 4D (the rookie would hit some bonuses and cost about $3 million).

So, team tank and hope for a Petey level centre who can provide significant production at low dollars who won’t need a raise until buying out OEL isn’t that costly or the cap has gone up enough to give us breathing room.

… hence, hardcore team tank this year.

Got it. So you’re in the car headed to re-tool, and you want to go to re-build. Hence, every re-tool move, and win is bothering you.

Thanks for the context.

Edited by Kenny Powers

1 minute ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Yep. but look at the cap, look at the LTIR we subrtracted Horvat at only 5 mil (sure he got 8.5 next year) but we retained. and we took Boeu at 4, Hronek at 5? gave up Schenn at 1 mil.  Can anyone at Nucks do the math? MIK comes back and off LTIR. 

We need to dump Millar, Demko and possibly a few picks for whoever gets the first round pick this draft

37 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Aren't the Mape Leafs a supposed Stanley Cup contender?  They are in 4th place in the entire league right now and just beat another cup contender tonight, New Jersey.  We kicked their a** with an AHL defence.  I am sure with my upgrades to the D we will embarrass them even further...

I was like you last year. 

I was positive we were going to make the playoffs this year. I really bought in on the "unfinished business"  slogan. 

I then saw way too many gaffes from our defence. I also saw Demko not play like his elite self and then get injured wiping out this season. 

I am hoping Hronek stabilizes the D. 

I am hoping for 1 more addition on D and the old Demko to return to form. 

Here's the main kicker though. If they don't figure out PK next year, they will miss the playoffs again. 

Special team decides games and our PK always makes us play an uphill battle. 

If we are middle of the pack to top end for PK, we will make the playoffs. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CanucksJay said:

I was like you last year. 

I was positive we were going to make the playoffs this year. I really bought in on the "unfinished business"  slogan. 

I then saw way too many gaffes from our defence. I also saw Demko not play like his elite self and then get injured wiping out this season. 

I am hoping Hronek stabilizes the D. 

I am hoping for 1 more addition on D and the old Demko to return to form. 

Here's the main kicker though. If they don't figure out PK next year, they will miss the playoffs again. 

Special team decides games and our PK always makes us play an uphill battle. 

If we are middle of the pack to top end for PK, we will make the playoffs. 

Our PK is already better under Tocchet.  The structure is also starting to come into play.  This is why we can beat a team like Toronto with an AHL defence.

There are no guarantees, but if we can add 2-3 decent defensive Dmen along with Hronek, get back bubble Demko, which it looks like we may have, and get a proper 3C, we should be able to do some damage next year.

I know some people want to blow it all up, but that is not what is going to happen.  The players don't want that and neither do the coaches or the management, so retool it is, whether we like it or not...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Our PK is already better under Tocchet.  The structure is also starting to come into play.  This is why we can beat a team like Toronto with an AHL defence.

There are no guarantees, but if we can add 2-3 decent defensive Dmen along with Hronek, get back bubble Demko, which it looks like we may have, and get a proper 3C, we should be able to do some damage next year.

I know some people want to blow it all up, but that is not what is going to happen.  The players don't want that and neither do the coaches or the management, so retool it is, whether we like it or not...

Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wish in one hand, and shit in the other… see which one fills up first.

Season 2 Wisdom GIF by New Amsterdam

2 hours ago, jyu said:

The notion of OEL buy out is crazy. Allvin should be fired for even bringing it up. 

my guess is that Allvin will be able to clear Myers with a sweetener— a cost of which will be higher than any of us would like. 

then he will trade Garland and replace him with kravtsov. 

boeser is staying. 

Did Allvin bring that up? 
Didn’t he just say that they might use that option, not any specifik player.

The rest lives it’s own life here…

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Provost said:

Just to be clear, their contracts run out after next season and they need new ones for the 2024-25 season.

We need to trim $12+ million from somewhere, and each player you take away adds to an empty roster spot you have to fill.

Kuzmenko ($5.5)- Petterson ($11)- Winger ($6)

Garland $4.95-Miller $8 - Mikheyev $4.75

Podkolzin $2.75-Centre $3- Boeser $6.65

Winger $.85 - Centre $1.25- Winger $1.0

Winger .85

Hughes $7.85 - RHD $6

OEL $7.26 - Hroken $7

LHD $1 - Bear $2.75

LHD $.85- Poolman $2.5

Demko $5

Backup $1.75

I understand your POV and I am also frustrated at the inability to move out cap, but I think you are projecting a worse case scenario.

Firstly, I don't think we will be signing another $6m winger in 2024-25, if we haven't been able to move Boeser or Garland.

I also don't think we need a $6m RHD to pair with Hughes. Hronek can pair with Hughes and OEL can play with a younger developing RD, such as Livingstone who is a legitimate chance of signing with the Canucks. This is the kind of contributing ELC player that you mention we need.

I also think Raty should be ready to step into the lineup as a 3C in 2024-25.

It seems unlikely Poolman returns from LTIR but let's assume worst case, he is back.

I don't think we should be signing Bear to a 2.75m contract.

Silovs should signing as a backup for around $1.3m.

Here is a possible lineup for 2024-25 that has a total cap hit of $85.5m (Capfriendly is projecting $87.5m in 2024-25):

Kuz (5.5) Petterson (11) Mikheyev (4.75)

Garland (4.95) Miller (8) Boeser (6.65)

Podz (2.5) Raty (0.8) Kravtsov (2.5)

Joshua (1.2) Aman (1.3) Hoglander (0.95)

McDonough (0.95)

Hughes (7.85) Hronek (7)

OEL (7.26) Livingstone (0.95)

Brisebois (0.8) Poolman (2.5)

Jurmo (0.95) Johansson (0.95)

Demko (5)

Silov (1.3)

However, instead of worst case, I predict by 2024-25 we will move on from Boeser, plus Poolman will not be back in the NHL. This would provide another $9m in cap space, which should be plenty for a journeyman 3RD at 1.5m to replace Poolman. It is likely the winger replacing Boeser will come from one of these guys developing into a legit top 6 winger: Beauvillier, Podz, Hogs, Krav. But there will be options in UFA if none of those guys progress like they should.

• Upvote 1

Canucks are 5-2-1 in their last 8, up against Anaheim next and some easy opponents in the next few games. Absolutely classic ruining the tank but we're better than our record suggests. 

Got a feeling we'll be picking 10-12th overall instead of snagging a gem like the top 3, Benson or Smith. Better pick Reinbacher and be happy with it.

35 minutes ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Canucks are 5-2-1 in their last 8, up against Anaheim next and some easy opponents in the next few games. Absolutely classic ruining the tank but we're better than our record suggests. 

Got a feeling we'll be picking 10-12th overall instead of snagging a gem like the top 3, Benson or Smith. Better pick Reinbacher and be happy with it.

Feasting on tankers and vice versa against the top half of the league.  Right now, it is all about feeling good and Bedard can remain a fan.  

The team is once again, a contender to the Purgatory Cup.

Edited by ShawnAntoski

5 hours ago, Timråfan said:

Did Allvin bring that up? 
Didn’t he just say that they might use that option, not any specifik player.

The rest lives it’s own life here…

People bring it up here. I’m just pointing out it’s ridiculous that people think it’s a possibility.