The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PGT] Dallas Stars at Vancouver Canucks | Mar. 14, 2023

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

17 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

He has really come into his own with the departure of Horvat. He seems more focussed and less erratic. I'm sure Tocchet has had a great influence on JT. Overall, I really like the idea of no captain and four alternates. That way each of the four can take a turn being spokesman and nobody feels the added pressure of having to answer every question. 

Move the C around. 

Dealing with the media every game is a bullshaz job. 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

He’s not wrong though. Canucks aren’t making the playoffs. All they’re doing is screwing the draft choice. 

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings

4 points separate 24-28.

Anaheim and Chicago would have to go on a major tear to move up in the standings.

There's pretty much no way Vancouver could get to 31 to 32.

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/standings

4 points separate 24-28.

Anaheim and Chicago would have to go on a major tear to move up in the standings.

There's pretty much no way Vancouver could get to 31 to 32.

Not with the way the Nucks are playing. 

Canucks are doomed to a middle pick. 

*sad tank noises*

• Huggy Bear 1

6 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Not with the way the Nucks are playing. 

Canucks are doomed to a middle pick. 

*sad tank noises*

But like last few drafts there have been surprising picks and we could get a player that falls and hit a home run.Any top ten in the draft after the first three are all good players just out odds have fallen.

22 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

He’s not wrong though. Canucks aren’t making the playoffs. All they’re doing is screwing the draft choice. 

Just let people enjoy hockey ffs. Insufferable tweets or posts about how wins are lessening their lottery odds aren't going to change anything. 

Insufferable wet blankets like Drance that shout "BUT MUH DRAFT ODDS" after a win make being a hockey fan more frustrating than it should be. I legitimately believe people like that are doing damage to the growth of the game.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

Just now, cripplereh said:

But like last few drafts there have been surprising picks and we could get a player that falls and hit a home run.Any top ten in the draft after the first three are all good players just out odds have fallen.

True. It’s a deep draft. But ‘deep draft’ means that any of the top 5 are typically considered top players or top picks. 

If the Nucks draft at around 12 or so, then it’s a crapshoot. 

The Nucks have an easier schedule now and they’re surging. That doesn’t help the team either. 

I love the fact that the team is gelling. I love that Tik Tocchet is bringing in systems to make the team better, but I hate the fact that the team isn’t allowing itself to draft at the best spot possible. 

I could go on, but my turret hurts. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Just let people enjoy hockey ffs. Insufferable tweets or posts about how wins are lessening their lottery odds aren't going to change anything. 

Insufferable wet blankets like Drance that shout "BUT MUH DRAFT ODDS" after a win make being a hockey fan more frustrating than it should be. I legitimately believe people like that are doing damage to the growth of the game.

Sure. Nothing wrong in enjoying hockey. 

No argument from me. I enjoy the the boys gaining confidence in their game and showing that they can play winning hockey. 

I just don’t want the organization to get the worser pick. It’s the worsest. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kilgore said:

I think waiting one more year to buy out OEL would be good.   If we honestly think we will not be contenders next April either. If you compare the numbers between a buyout this summer, and a buy out next summer. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/oliver-ekman-larsson

We can still save 7 million of cap if we wait a year than if we bought him out this summer.

I just can't see us hanging on to him longer than that if he continues to decline. But if we can bring in Hronek, and one more better D, we can regulate OEL to 5/6 position. With less minutes, I think he'll be fine for another season. Depends if we buy out Myers or not this summer.

Appreciate the cap friendly link.  If it looks like OEL's season decline was mostly due to injury BEFORE his reported injury.  The management needs to assess whether they feel he could be effective as a #3 LD then keep him for next season and consider your suggestion for buyout summer 2024.  Otherwise, after this season looks to be the smart move for sure.  Saving big next season and then having the cap go up significantly after 23-24 season to counter the stiffer cap buyout cost for 25-26 and 26-27 seasons.  Not ideal but workable.  JB's parting gift is a doozie.... Similar to Gillis's parting gift with Luongo's  cap recapture penalty.:sadno:

Edited by Hogs & Podz
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

A lot of non-believers, thinking we've seen this movie before. Winning down the stretch feels different to me this time. When was the last time the Canucks had a really good coaching staff?  AV days. 

Canucks are winning and they're learning to play as a team, aggressive and disciplined (for the most part), and they're doing this with 4 AHL Ds. This team is going to be dynamite next season. 

I love Canucks goals and seeing them celebrate after a win. I've been wishing and hoping for the #1 pick in the Draft for 10 years and I'm done. I don't like to see the Canucks lose, tired of it and I want playoffs (next year). Who knows how the lottery will go anyway. If it's meant to be, then it will be. 

5 in a row and ARI, LA, ANA next up. Goin' on a run :towel:

• Cheers 4