The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

STH Letter by Jim Rutherford

Rate this topic

Crabcakes

4 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

JR names 8 guys, Petey, Hughes,Miller, Demko, Kuz, Mikhaev, Bear and Hronek.

We need to add another 8.

Four need to come from our young guys - Pod,Hog,Kravtsov,Johansson,Jurmo, D-Petey,Aman,Lek,Bloom,Hirose,Klim,Sasson,Raty,2023 1st, etc.

Then add 4 from trades and UFA signings.

If they get to 16 guys who are all playing well - then they can be on the launch pad to becoming a contender and making final moves to fill out the roster at that point.

I hope this is how JR sees it as well.

In addition to the above it is possible that Garland or Boeser or Beauvilier improve and play at or above their pay scale which would be great. Challenge offered by JR by omitting them from his letter.

12 minutes ago, Muttley said:

I have a feeling Boeser will end up sticking around. It is absolutely obvious how much he's improving under Rick Tocchet. He stays heading down this path for the 

rest of the season and they my choose to not "seriously" shop him. Garland? That's another matter..

I hope so, it's just really weird and awkward when they don't mention him but mention the RFA 3rd pair guy Ethan Bear. Boeser has been with us for years and we have him under contract. It's a lay up to mention his name. But they didn't. Which leads me to believe it's a matter of when he's traded, not if. But I am one of Boeser's bigger fans here. So I'd love for him to be here for many years.

• Cheers 1

As it sits, top 6 is:

Mikheyev Pettersson Kuzmenko

Beauvillier Miller Boeser

Garland

The only one who's salary is an issue is Boeser and he is overpaid by around $1.5M which is not a disaster.  

On D, the top salaries are:

Hughes(7.8) Myers(6.0)

OEL(7.2) Hronek(4.4)

Bear(1.8)

The value issues here are clear.  OEL and Myers.  JR said, back before he zipped it (and before moving Horvat), that they're going to try to trade some of their issues and if they can't, they'll buy them out. 

I think there's a fair chance they can move Myers after paying his bonus.  If they can't, I can stomach keeping him for another year and letting him go to free agency.  He's going to be tough to replace.  Could Bear do it? 

OEL is another thing altogether.  Trading OEL would be a serious case of larceny and there's a sucker born every minute but a buyout may be the only way out.  It's also going to be much easier to replace OEL.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I hope so, it's just really weird and awkward when they don't mention him but mention the RFA 3rd pair guy Ethan Bear. Boeser has been with us for years and we have him under contract. It's a lay up to mention his name. But they didn't. Which leads me to believe it's a matter of when he's traded, not if. But I am one of Boeser's bigger fans here. So I'd love for him to be here for many years.

I think JR is sending a message to Boeser Beauvilier and Garland that they need to play at a level equal to their paychecks if they want to join the core guys.

Get better is the message.  It is not a message of we are trading you.  It is a message of get  better and get up with the big boys who are playing at a level equal or above their paychecks.

I like Boeser too.  I think he needs this.

6 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I think JR is sending a message to Boeser Beauvilier and Garland that they need to play at a level equal to their paychecks if they want to join the core guys.

Get better is the message.  It is not a message of we are trading you.  It is a message of get  better and get up with the big boys who are playing at a level equal or above their paychecks.

I like Boeser too.  I think he needs this.

Boeser is and always has been a 60 point guy. That's the pace he is playing on this season. With minimal PP time comparatively to passed seasons. I also think he's played his best hockey away from the puck this season. Multiple times he comes up to loose pucks or puck battles and it led to us getting a goal. He has been a much improved net front presence. Petey and Miller get credit for goals and decently often I am looking at the play and guess who is in front of the net? Brock Boeser.

All of this while still processing the loss of his father, which I hate mentioning cause it's personal. But still. The dude has not been bad. He is a consistent contributor and has improved his play away from the puck. He negotiated the best contract for himself. But it's not like he's LE out there not contributing. He's a 6mil player being paid 6.7mil. Hardly the worst contract on the team.

2 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't find it weird or awkward myself

Bear was cheap and a position of need doing what they asked of him

At the least omitting BB, it is a message to everyone to provide what the team needs and is looking for (they want speed, tenacity and accountability)

We have cheaper options now and prospects and it sends the accountability message to everyone, that they have a role to play and not just playing how you decide to anymore and will motivate the younger players to take the opportunity

I am good with moving on from BB, he seems satisfied to have made the big leagues and the big money, but hasn't done anything since arriving to improve any of the weaknesses in his game (except his take home pay)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Ballisticsports. said:

I don't find it weird or awkward myself

Bear was cheap and a position of need doing what they asked of him

At the least omitting BB, it is a message to everyone to provide what the team needs and is looking for (they want speed, tenacity and accountability)

We have cheaper options now and prospects and it sends the accountability message to everyone, that they have a role to play and not just playing how you decide to anymore and will motivate the younger players to take the opportunity

I am good with moving on from BB, he seems satisfied to have made the big leagues and the big money, but hasn't done anything since arriving to improve any of the weaknesses in his game (except his take home pay)

I touch on this in the second half of the comment you quoted. I do believe he is on the way out.

At this point, we still have such a mess to clean up in terms of cap space that I'm just like "meh". Maybe they do it. Maybe they don't. I guess at least it's apparent that JR and PA do show some experience compared with what we've seen with Benning and Gillis. (and yes, I lump the 2 together, I don't care and will likely not respond if you protest this)

But yeah, either we'll eventually see some success, or we'll have to strip it all down at some point. Is this a blanket statement? Absolutely is it, but I can't find the ability to care a lot at the moment as it's all so up in the air. I don't care about details about how we get there. I just want to see the team succeed at this point.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

Boeser wants out though. "If you love something, set it free" He's gone like a steam locomotive.

2 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

Boeser wants out though. "If you love something, set it free" He's gone like a steam locomotive.

I don't actually believe that. His reactions to his teammates after goals. You can tell he really likes the team. You'd think a guy that doesn't want to be here would be a bit more distant. But he's always so happy when teammates score, he's always chatty. I think he genuinely likes being here.

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

I don't actually believe that. His reactions to his teammates after goals. You can tell he really likes the team. You'd think a guy that doesn't want to be here would be a bit more distant. But he's always so happy when teammates score, he's always chatty. I think he genuinely likes being here.

Yes, but his agent sought and got permission to shop him. He's gone baby gone. 

7 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

Yes, but his agent sought and got permission to shop him. He's gone baby gone. 

I think management gave them permission cause they wanted to move him. But I never heard Boeser and his agent sought out permission. Again, I am not saying he's staying. I am just saying I don't think he wants out.

32 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I think management gave them permission cause they wanted to move him. But I never heard Boeser and his agent sought out permission. Again, I am not saying he's staying. I am just saying I don't think he wants out.

The way I heard it, he wanted out.

• There it is 1

35 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

Boeser wants out. Why else would our management give Brock’s agent to pursue a trade? 

On 3/29/2023 at 8:18 PM, Crabcakes said:
Vancouver Canucks president of hockey operations Jim Rutherford penned a letter that went out to the club’s season ticket holders today.
In the letter, which in years’ past has been written by owner Francesco Aquilini, this is what Rutherford had to say to Canucks fans:

On behalf of Canucks Sports & Entertainment’s ownership, our hockey operations team and our players, I want to thank our Season Ticket Members and all of our fans for your continued support. We know how much this team means to you.
The passion from the Canucks fan base is simply incredible and something we will never take for granted. This season has been difficult for all of us, but especially for you, our fans. We had expectations going into this season that were not met. All of us share in your frustration. This team needs to get better, and we will get better.
I came to Vancouver 15 months ago with a plan to build this team into a legitimate contender, one that can ultimately compete for the Stanley Cup Even though this season did not go as we hoped, our vision for this team has not changed.
We are currently the 5th youngest team in the league, and we believe in our core of elite players. Elias Pettersson, Quinn Hughes, J.T. Miller and Thatcher Demko are exceptional players who continue to elevate their game. We are equally excited about the emerging new players on our roster which includes Andrei Kuzmenko, Ilya Mikheyev, Ethan Bear and the recently acquired Filip Hronek. This is a terrific base to build upon. There is still much work to do to upgrade areas of our team. This includes being active in the college and European free agent markets along with managing our cap space by using all options available to us.
A big part of the development of this group will be the work of new Head Coach Rick Tocchet and his staff. We are already seeing improvements under Rick’s leadership. He is implementing the style of hockey we want to see this group play and holding the players accountable. We have a unified vision that runs from Abbotsford in the AHL to the Canucks in the NHL. Coach Jeremy Colliton is doing exceptional work in Abbotsford and is in regular communication with Rick on the development of our players. Our hockey development staff has also been highly strengthened by the addition of Henrik and Daniel Sedin. We are lucky to have two Hall of Famers working with our players in both Abbotsford and Vancouver.
Overall, I am proud of the hockey operations team we have put in place here. We have added bright and diverse minds to our management group over the past year in Patrik Allvin, Cammi Granato, Emilie Castonguay, Derek Clancey along with Ryan Johnson and Stan Smyl. We have exceptional people working in our pro and amateur scouting departments. I’m confident in this group as we embark on upgrading our roster and selecting a top pick in this year’s NHL Draft.
We are excited for what we are building and always appreciate your support. Your passion and commitment are what drives this franchise. Together we can show the rest of the league why Vancouver is the best place to play, and more importantly, the best place to win.
-Jim Rutherford
  1. "our vision for this team has not changed".  Vision is a higher and more esoteric level that something a mucky as strategy.  Vision is an ideal and the strategy is how to achieve the vision so he's not getting pinned down on the Miller "about face" for example.
  2. Core:  Pettersson, Hughes, Miller, Demko.  Miller now?
  3. Emerging new players:  Kuzmenko, Mikheyev, Bear, Hronek.  I guess this is the list of non-core players who they are not likely to trade this summer.
  4. Development:  Tocchet implementing style of hockey and accountability.  Unified vision from Abby to Van.
  5. Rutherford is proud of operations staff.  Named:  Allvin, Granato, Castonguay, Clancy, Johnston, Smyl

I guess that JR is now writing letters so that he can control better what he says.

Thoughts?

I just want to see this roster a little tougher, we all know how the playoffs go..

4 minutes ago, iceman64 said:

He'd better play lights out for the rest of the season or we'll be cutting our losses and retaining some of his cap if he doesn't or simply getting less than he's worth.

I dont understand why you think Boeser is not worth his contract. Sure, you have been spoiled watching Kuz, Petty, Hughes. But for every Petterson club record I see Boeser is still on the list, top ten or five or whatever. Sometimes Team is more important than points. I dont care if Brock is lights out rest of the year cause I know he will be next year.

44 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Boeser wants out. Why else would our management give Brock’s agent to pursue a trade? 

Yeah this story broke when he was almost a healthy scratch on Hockey Fights Cancer Night.

https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1599283795915845632

I know he said later that he doesn't want to be traded, but so would I.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1599235670198755328

https://twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/1599253378550607872

https://twitter.com/CanuckClay/status/1599816981964017664

Whether he wants out or not I think it's safe to say he's gone this summer.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gassy Jack said:

Yeah this story broke when he was almost a healthy scratch on Hockey Fights Cancer Night.

https://twitter.com/ThomasDrance/status/1599283795915845632

I know he said later that he doesn't want to be traded, but so would I.

https://twitter.com/TheFourthPeriod/status/1599235670198755328

https://twitter.com/imacSportsnet/status/1599253378550607872

https://twitter.com/CanuckClay/status/1599816981964017664

Whether he wants out or not I think it's safe to say he's gone this summer.

When Demko started this year with crap, no one was saying trade that... Boeser was playing with similar issues, physically, mentally. He is finally back and he is killing it. Demko is back and healthy, Brock is back and healthy and finally playing more ice times, everyone should be patient and not lose a guy on the upswing. I am also complaining about cap, but Boeser is worth the hit when you compare to OEL or even Millar next year hit.