The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks vs Calgary Flames, 7PM PST (10PM EST) Saturday April 8, 2023, Rogers Arena ... Tame the Flame Game

Rate this topic

Rocket-68

Will The Canucks Make the Playoffs Next Year?  

140 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

The best for our club would be for OEL to play meaningful minutes with Hronek. The worst for us would be OEL in the press box because he’s just not even a bottom pairing guy anymore. 
The first scenario has a lot of “if” questions. Buying out OEL eliminates any risk. We know exactly our cap and what to expect from the guy we bring in to play with Hronek. 
Are we in a position to take a big risk on OEL returning to something close to form? 

Good question...  

We have a very low maintenance off-season coming up.  None of our big players are up for a contract if you exclude all the guys who's contract wouldn't kick in until 2024-25 (Petey, Hronek).  

We are sitting with 2 guys on LTIR (Poolman, Pearson), 7 d-men, 14 forwards, and 1 goalie at 85.9 million going into next season.  There's been rumblings about the salary cap going up by about 3 million, but if we do the lowest possiblity, it would be 83.5 million.  

We could take the lazy/easy way out and put Poolman and Pearson on LTIR, and have (5.75 - 2.4) 3.3 million of LTIR space next year.  My hope is that we clear out 3 million and completely get out of LTIR for next year though.  

How do we do that?  

1. Brock Boeser (even with retention) 

2. Myers trade 

3. Beauvillier trade 

4. Garland trade 

5. Poolman LTIR dump 

6. We sit in LTIR next year 

7. OEL buyout 

That's how I would rank the options available to us and what I would prefer.  OEL buyout wouldn't even enter my lexicon until we wait and see how he bounces back next year.  

OEL buyout is a negative expectation move.  We stand to gain a lot by him having a bounce back year, and every year that goes by, his buyout becomes more and more friendly.  

Summer of 2025 is the time to seriously think about an OEL buyout.  

7 minutes ago, wildwood12 said:

Bill Guerin chose Cap Hell, over having Ryan Suter and Parise.

He said they are uncoachable and Suter tried to be the defacto GM.
Making decisions. And you can’t have that.

Fair enough, that does sound terrible to have around the team.  I stand corrected on those two. 

56 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

6-5 loss would be nice 

At this point I’ll take any loss. 

On the other hand, I think a Vancouver win over the flames reducing their playoff odds would bring me a whole lot of joy. 

Most of all, I sure hope this is the last year in a long long time we find ourselves in this crappy situation to close the season. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, *Buzzsaw* said:

What we need is a competitive loss... lots of points and goals by Pettersson.

Combine that with a win by Washington and we avoid passing them in the Snail Derby and dropping further away from a chance at the top 5.

We can't now pick top 5, even if we lose every game from now on we will still be stuck at 8. The Flyers are going to lose to the Isles later and we cannot get past them to 7. The damage was done when we went on our winning streak for no good reason.

I'm expecting a chippy playoff style game with Calgary coming at us hard and setting an aggressive tone.  I think this game will turn into choas with the likes of Lucic and Kadri playing their "game".

What a better way to end the home season then a good ol' Smythe Division line brawl for Fan Appreciation Night.

Edited by TheQuietQuitter
  • Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Taphouse Canuck said:

We can't now pick top 5, even if we lose every game from now on we will still be stuck at 8. The Flyers are going to lose to the Isles later and we cannot get past them to 7. The damage was done when we went on our winning streak for no good reason.

There was no damage. We couldn’t get into the bottom 5 teams even without a goalie in net. 

• Haha 1