The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks end of season media availability

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

On 4/17/2023 at 12:40 PM, DrJockitch said:

Essentially if we trade one of Brock, Beau or Garland we are cap compliant with what we have.
All three really need to go to make any significant changes assuming that Myers and OEL are with us next year (I would call that 99% certain).

I started a thread about this a few days ago. The Canucks do no need to trade anyone. The team is basically cap compliant now. Here is the analysis.

I made following assumptions:

1. Injured Players: I am assuming the Hronek, OEL, and Mikheyev will healthy and ready to go at the start of next season. All the available information is consistent with this.

2. LTIR players: I am assuming that Pearson and Poolman will remain on LTIR, at least to start the season. I think this is very likely.

3. RFAs. Hirose, Juulsen, and Kravtsov may or may not be on the team but they are all making under 1 million so whether they are on the team or some other low cost player is on the team does not affect the calculation in any meaningful way. But I have assumed that none of them will be on the 23 man roster to start next season. Dermott is a bigger question mark. He might play, he might go on LTIR, he might be traded or the Canucks might just let him go.  I did not put him in the 23-man roster. The biggest question mark is Bear. The Canucks want to re-sign him and negotiations are ongoing. His qualifying offer is 2.2. but his agent has apparently asked for quite a bit more. I have him in at $2.5 million. That might be low, but I don't think he would get much more in arbitration. I assumed no UFAs would be re-signed but it would make no difference to the calculation if, say, the team re-signed Burroughs.

4. Other, I assume Johanssen would make the team. But it would no difference to the calculation if Burroughs or Juulsen were there instead. Or Hoglander could be there instead of Studnika but, once again, that would not affect the calculation much even though Hoglander is an RFA.

Here is the CapFriendly output:

Could contain: File, Text

So, even at the current cap of 82.5 the Canucks would be under it if Pearson and Poolman are on LTIR. With the cap likely going up by just over 1 million the Canucks would have a bit of breathing space. 

I

Edited by JamesB
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

He just complimented Klimovich as an afterthought.  After mentioning 4-5 of the other young forwards.  A little suprised by that, consdiering how much attention he has recently been getting for his scoring.  I wonder if this managment team isn't sold on his potential to play the 2-way game he'd need to play in the NHL?

32 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Correction; He is our problem until TDL next year where he will have actual value and a return. Unless we are trading him w/o retention and/or adding sweeteners, we should just ride him out. He is a CDC wiping boy; he is not actually that bad in a 3rd pairing role. You just need to get over his salary, which is gone after the year.

Again, believe it when I see it. 
I don’t need to get over his salary, a playoff contender has to find a min of 3M in cap space to fit him in if they wanted him which again I don’t believe. 
If he wasn’t that bad why are we so desperate to get rid of him? Because he is that bad we just want to believe what we want to believe as fans.  This is the NHL, a player that makes the right play or a good play 95% of the time is a disaster. 

Edited by DrJockitch

9 minutes ago, Canucks Curse said:

I was not impressed with his answer about fixing the D, he talked a lot about OEL and fixing things internally (sheesh)... even if OEL gets back to 2022-2021 form, we need a guy like Gavrikov - although, PA - why would he tell everyone what he's doing.

Maybe because we're stuck with him...?

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I started a thread about this a few days ago. The Canucks do no need to trade anyone. The team is basically cap compliant now. Here is the analysis.

I made following assumptions:

1. Injured Players: I am assuming the Hronek, OEL, and Mikheyev will healthy and ready to go at the start of next season. All the available information is consistent with this.

2. LTIR players: I am assuming that Pearson and Poolman will remain on LTIR, at least to start the season. I think this is very likely.

3. RFAs. Hirose, Juulsen, and Kravtsov may or may not be on the team but they are all making under 1 million so whether they are on the team or some other low cost player is on the team does not affect the calculation in any meaningful way. But I have assumed that none of them will be on the 23 man roster to start next season. Dermott is a bigger question mark. He might play, he might go on LTIR, he might be traded or the Canucks might just let him go.  I did not put him in the 23-man roster. The biggest question mark is Bear. The Canucks want to re-sign him and negotiations are ongoing. His qualifying offer is 2.2. but his agent has apparently asked for quite a bit more. I have him in at $2.5 million. That might be low, but I don't think he would get much more in arbitration. I assumed no UFAs would be re-signed but it would make no difference to the calculation if, say, the team re-signed Burroughs.

4. Other, I assume Johanssen would make the team. But it would no difference to the calculation if Burroughs or Juulsen were there instead. Or Hoglander could be there instead of Studnika but, once again, that would not affect the calculation much even though Hoglander is an RFA.

Here is the CapFriendly output:

Could contain: File, Text

So $5M over the cap without assumptions. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Did Kuzmenko ever comment on a possibility of returning to Russia during the offseason?  I can't remember if he got asked that (or if he did, whether or not he answered it meaningfully through Ilya).

edit - ninja'd by @-Vintage Canuck-, who is fast on the draw on posting trades and signings, but even faster on answering questions.  :ph34r:

Russian bots are real apparently

Happy Role Playing GIF by Hyper RPG

37 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Correction; He is our problem until TDL next year where he will have actual value and a return. Unless we are trading him w/o retention and/or adding sweeteners, we should just ride him out. He is a CDC wiping boy; he is not actually that bad in a 3rd pairing role. You just need to get over his salary, which is gone after the year.

Don't worry about losing our primary "Tank Commander" because we have plenty of other's that can slot in as chief Whipping Boy, as this team has no shortage of underperforming players as evident by our 7th Post Season miss - in 8 Years !!!

• There it is 1