The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML Dispersal Draft

canuck2xtreme

Hey, I am just asking, but don't the 2022-2023 contracts run until June 30th, 2023, so everybody's cap is what it was as of the last day of the regular season. UFA and RFA don't actually expire until then.....so adding big contracts must still be under the $82,500,000 cap that was this last year.

For the playoff rosters that is an entirely different thing, and is not influenced by signings

Is any one over by adding extra drafted players, because they should not be, unless I am wrong??????????????

Just saying!

My reference would be that a player that is a UFA can be traded 1 day before Free Agency  to another team so that that team gets to talk to him before free agency............

@canuck2xtreme

Edited by J.I.A.H.N

28 minutes ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Hey, I am just asking, but don't the 2022-2023 contracts run until June 30th, 2023, so everybody's cap is what it was as of the last day of the regular season. UFA and RFA don't actually expire until then.....so adding big contracts must still be under the $82,500,000 cap that was this last year.

For the playoff rosters that is an entirely different thing, and is not influenced by signings

Is any one over by adding extra drafted players, because they should not be, unless I am wrong??????????????

Just saying!

My reference would be that a player that is a UFA can be traded 1 day before Free Agency  to another team so that that team gets to talk to him before free agency............

@canuck2xtreme

Correct, contracts run until June 30th. But having to be cap compliant ended after the regular season, and the 10% rule does not kick in until July 1st.  So there is a window between the end of the regular season and July 1st where teams could be significantly over.  That usually results from cap retention ending on a certain contract, or by signing star players to contract extensions etc., and by definition, those extensions would not kick in until July 1st as well. 

A pending UFA can still be traded so the acquiring team can negotiate early, as you noted.

The team charts currently reflect cap space as of July 1st, the start of free agency, so that teams have time to prepare and plan going into free agency and next season.

Edited by canuck2xtreme
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Also, a note relevant to dispersal process!!!

Someone asked me via Discord about Taylor Hall's NMC.  As noted in the contract details popup on the Rosters page, his NMC notes indicate that the NMC expired at the end of 2021-22.  So he no longer holds a NMC.  I have edited the Dispersal Draft page to reflect this.

3 hours ago, J.I.A.H.N said:

Just saying!

@canuck2xtreme

I think the biggest thing is acquiring high priced guys at the deadline..but for less than half their season cap..then after season ends but before july 1st their caps look full priced. it makes for a period of Flux while those teams scramble to get back to a compliant cap situation.

57 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I think the biggest thing is acquiring high priced guys at the deadline..but for less than half their season cap..then after season ends but before july 1st their caps look full priced. it makes for a period of Flux while those teams scramble to get back to a compliant cap situation.

I get it now...basically he has nothing owing until july 1st again.......got it

• Thanks 1