The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] This is how we clear cap space!

Trade #1

To VAN:

4th Round Pick

To ARZ or CHI etc.:

4th Round Pick (to retain 50% on Myers)

To BUF:

Myers

Vancouver clears Myers full cap hit by giving up a 4th round pick to ARZ to retain 50% after this bonus has been paid.  They regain a 4th round pick from BUF.

Buffalo gets a solid 3rd pairing RHD after Lyubushkin and Jokiharju.  The cost is only a 4th round pick.  Cap hit on Myers is only $3M for one season.

Note:  Buffalo can be interchanged with any other team willing to do this deal.  The key here is VAN gets rid of Myers full cap hit without sacrificing anything.  The other team acquires Myers for a 4th round pick. 

Trade #2

To VAN:

3rd Round Pick

To ARZ or CHI etc:

4th Round Pick to retain 50% on Beauvillier

To ANY TEAM:

Beauvillier

Rinse and repeat Trade #1.  This time with Beauvillier at 50% ($2.075M) a team is willing to cough up a 3rd round pick.  Again, Vancouver clears the full cap hit  for Beauvillier.

Trade #3

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick

To ANY TEAM:

Garland or Boeser

3rd Round Pick (from Trade #2)

So utilizing the 3rd round pick from the trade above and either Garland or Boeser, we obtain a 2nd round pick in return.  Not perfect value, but wingers are a dime a dozen in this league.  Cap space is king. 

TLDR:

Net result...

OUT:  Myers, Beauvillier, Garland or Boeser, 4th Round Pick

IN:  2nd Round Pick

CAP OUT:  $15.1M (if Garland is traded), $16.8M (if Boeser is traded)

Honestly, we could even just stop after Trade #2 and carry on with a cap savings of $10.15M.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Trade #1

To VAN:

4th Round Pick

To ARZ or CHI etc.:

4th Round Pick (to retain 50% on Myers)

To BUF:

Myers

Vancouver clears Myers full cap hit by giving up a 4th round pick to ARZ to retain 50% after this bonus has been paid.  They regain a 4th round pick from BUF.

Buffalo gets a solid 3rd pairing RHD after Lyubushkin and Jokiharju.  The cost is only a 4th round pick.  Cap hit on Myers is only $3M for one season.

Note:  Buffalo can be interchanged with any other team willing to do this deal.  The key here is VAN gets rid of Myers full cap hit without sacrificing anything.  The other team acquires Myers for a 4th round pick. 

Trade #2

To VAN:

3rd Round Pick

To ARZ or CHI etc:

4th Round Pick to retain 50% on Beauvillier

To ANY TEAM:

Beauvillier

Rinse and repeat Trade #1.  This time with Beauvillier at 50% ($2.075M) a team is willing to cough up a 3rd round pick.  Again, Vancouver clears the full cap hit  for Beauvillier.

Trade #3

To VAN:

2nd Round Pick

To ANY TEAM:

Garland or Boeser

3rd Round Pick (from Trade #2)

So utilizing the 3rd round pick from the trade above and either Garland or Boeser, we obtain a 2nd round pick in return.  Not perfect value, but wingers are a dime a dozen in this league.  Cap space is king. 

TLDR:

Net result...

OUT:  Myers, Beauvillier, Garland or Boeser, 4th Round Pick

IN:  2nd Round Pick

CAP OUT:  $15.1M (if Garland is traded), $16.8M (if Boeser is traded)

Honestly, we could even just stop after Trade #2 and carry on with a cap savings of $10.15M.

Although I don't think we'll actually need to do too much to move Myers once his bonus is paid, I like your approach to trade #1.

Beauvillier is pretty easily moveable for a late round 1st or a early 2nd round pick IMO. He didn't blow me away with his performance since we got him, but he was generally pretty solid. We could use the cap space he's taking up, but I won't be disappointed if he's still here at camp where we can see how he would do starting the year in this system.

Boeser, again, I don't think we have to give anything up to move him for a late 1st round pick. He put up better than .75 points per game in a really off year, and got much better in the last 2 months. If he can get a full, injury free season behind him, I think we'll see a much better player.

Garland, we might need to have a little salary retained. He was signed about 1.25 million higher than he really should have been.

Generally, like your approach, getting creative in moving salary. If we could get OEL to agree to waive, this type of approach might really work. 3 way trade, we send someone a 2nd round pick to retain 3 million of his salary and another team gives us a 2nd round pick back for him.

Nobody is taking 3 mil for a 4th round pick. Maybe that works at the TDL where the cost is prorated, but not before.

Keep in mind, we gave up a 2nd round pick last year to move off of Dickinsons 2.5, and still had to take a contract back in Stillman.

Same goes for Beau's contract. The cap space is worth more than late picks.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

4 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Although I don't think we'll actually need to do too much to move Myers once his bonus is paid, I like your approach to trade #1.

Beauvillier is pretty easily moveable for a late round 1st or a early 2nd round pick IMO. He didn't blow me away with his performance since we got him, but he was generally pretty solid. We could use the cap space he's taking up, but I won't be disappointed if he's still here at camp where we can see how he would do starting the year in this system.

Boeser, again, I don't think we have to give anything up to move him for a late 1st round pick. He put up better than .75 points per game in a really off year, and got much better in the last 2 months. If he can get a full, injury free season behind him, I think we'll see a much better player.

Garland, we might need to have a little salary retained. He was signed about 1.25 million higher than he really should have been.

Generally, like your approach, getting creative in moving salary. If we could get OEL to agree to waive, this type of approach might really work. 3 way trade, we send someone a 2nd round pick to retain 3 million of his salary and another team gives us a 2nd round pick back for him.

The only issue is this tends to only work if the player is in the last year of their contract.  Otherwise it's asking a LOT for a team to retain as a 3rd party.  Would certainly cost just as much as adding a sweetener to a deal.

I don't think it will be that easy to ditch Myers unfortunately.  He has a 10 team no trade list, and having been in Buffalo and escaped I suspect he won't want to go back there. His bonus is also not due to get paid out until Sept 1st which means no one will take him on until then at the earliest.

It is Beauvillier, Garland, and Boeser that we have a chance of moving... but with a flat cap expect little in return except the cap space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Provost said:

I don't think it will be that easy to ditch Myers unfortunately.  He has a 10 team no trade list, and having been in Buffalo and escaped I suspect he won't want to go back there. His bonus is also not due to get paid out until Sept 1st which means no one will take him on until then at the earliest.

It is Beauvillier, Garland, and Boeser that we have a chance of moving... but with a flat cap expect little in return except the cap space.

100%

Myers isn't accepting a trade anywhere that isn't immediately ready to compete for a cup. The same teams who are capped out. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Nobody is taking 3 mil for a 4th round pick. Maybe that works at the TDL where the cost is prorated, but not before.

Keep in mind, we gave up a 2nd round pick last year to move off of Dickinsons 2.5, and still had to take a contract back in Stillman.

Same goes for Beau's contract. The cap space is worth more than late picks.

That's fair.  Real cash cost on Myers after the bonus is $1M ($500k to ARZ or CHI).

Looks like that would be in the neighbourhood of a 3rd round pick: 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2023-trade-deadline-countdown-which-teams-will-be-third-party-money-brokers

Still would be worthwhile if it just means our 3rd moves down to a 4th round pick to clear a full $6M in cap.

With Beauvillier, I guess it'd probably be just as easy to retain 25 to 50% on the 1 year to get something of good value in return.

Overall, the 2 trades would still save in the neighbourhood of $8M+ in cap space with minimal cost.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

100%

Myers isn't accepting a trade anywhere that isn't immediately ready to compete for a cup. The same teams who are capped out. 

10 team no trade can be read as a 22 team yes trade clause. 

I'm sure there's one of those 22 teams willing to bring in a 6'5" RHD for $3M on 1 year.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The only issue is this tends to only work if the player is in the last year of their contract.  Otherwise it's asking a LOT for a team to retain as a 3rd party.  Would certainly cost just as much as adding a sweetener to a deal.

Challenge of moving OEL is, he has to agree to going anywhere!

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

That's fair.  Real cash cost on Myers after the bonus is $1M ($500k to ARZ or CHI).

Looks like that would be in the neighbourhood of a 3rd round pick: 

https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/2023-trade-deadline-countdown-which-teams-will-be-third-party-money-brokers

Still would be worthwhile if it just means our 3rd moves down to a 4th round pick to clear a full $6M in cap.

With Beauvillier, I guess it'd probably be just as easy to retain 25 to 50% on the 1 year to get something of good value in return.

Overall, the 2 trades would still save in the neighbourhood of $8M+ in cap space with minimal cost.

The actual cost still is only part of the problem though, the cap space right now is even more valuable to teams. Think of a team like Toronto, they could care less about the actual money being paid, it means nothing if they can't fit the player under their cap. 

Both trades just make more sense at the deadline, with max retention. I don't see this team being consistent enough to make the playoffs next year, hoping next TDL we clear house on expiring guys with max retention, and load up on futures. Beau, Brock, Myers etc. 

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

I'm sure there's one of those 22 teams willing to bring in a 6'5" RHD for $3M on 1 year.

I think so too. I think you're looking at a better return than people think on that deal. 

To me, it makes more sense to retain ourselves at the deadline, than to pay somebody else futures to do it.

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Challenge of moving OEL is, he has to agree to going anywhere!

100% the biggest issue moving forward.

If I'm the coach/gm and Christmas rolls around and OEL is still shitting the bed, he's heading to Abbotsford to the remainder of the season to ride the bus. Take the 1mil in cap savings, and pretend he doesn't exist. Wait and see how long he sticks it out there.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, MattWN. said:

The actual cost still is only part of the problem though, the cap space right now is even more valuable to teams. Think of a team like Toronto, they could care less about the actual money being paid, it means nothing if they can't fit the player under their cap. 

Both trades just make more sense at the deadline, with max retention. I don't see this team being consistent enough to make the playoffs next year, hoping next TDL we clear house on expiring guys with max retention, and load up on futures. Beau, Brock, Myers etc. 

What about a team like Pittsburgh?  They've got Letang and Petry as their top 4 RHD.  Myers playing on the 3rd pair at $3M for 1 season wouldn't be a bad gamble for them.  That's of course unless they're calling it quits with Crosby.

Florida.  They've got Montour and the oft injured Ekblad.  Gudas is a UFA, so Myers could be a solid replacement for close to the same cap hit. 

Winnipeg.  After Pionk and Demelo?  Again, at $3M for 1 year, could be a good solution for the 3rd pair.  Especially if the cost is only a 4th round pick.

Just a few reasonable options.

4 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

If I'm the coach/gm and Christmas rolls around and OEL is still shitting the bed, he's heading to Abbotsford to the remainder of the season to ride the bus. Take the 1mil in cap savings, and pretend he doesn't exist. Wait and see how long he sticks it out there.

OEL's NMC says hi.  He's in the press box or on the ice.  He's not heading to Abby.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

What about a team like Pittsburgh?  They've got Letang and Petry as their top 4 RHD.  Myers playing on the 3rd pair at $3M for 1 season wouldn't be a bad gamble for them.  That's of course unless they're calling it quits with Crosby.

Florida.  They've got Montour and the oft injured Ekblad.  Gudas is a UFA, so Myers could be a solid replacement for close to the same cap hit. 

Winnipeg.  After Pionk and Demelo?  Again, at $3M for 1 year, could be a good solution for the 3rd pair.  Especially if the cost is only a 4th round pick.

Just a few reasonable options.

I could see Pittsburgh being interested, but not sure how that money will make sense. They're going to have a few big holes to fill, both upfront and on the backend. Not to mention Jarry's contract is up, so they're either paying him a hefty raise of going big game hunting at free agency. 

I don't see Myers wanting to go back to winnipeg. 

Both Florida teams could use the depth on the backend, but neither seem to have to space, with bonuses being tacked on next year they'll be in tough to fill out their rosters as it is. 

7 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

No Movement Clause!

You can't send him ANYWHERE without his approval, even Abbotsford.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, HKSR said:

Not likely if he doesn't want to go.  

Go to Capfriendly and find the teams with cap space next year and actual real dollars after re-signing their own players who have $3 million to spend on a #5 D.  Take away 10 of them and you get to basically no one very fast.  Then if there happens to be a team with the cap space, budget, and need... try to swing a deal when there are a lot of other players and teams trying to shed cap as well.

• Like 1

OEL's NMC says hi.  He's in the press box or on the ice.  He's not heading to Abby.

I'd still try, make him say no.

If that doesn't work, waive him (let him see nobody else wants him either) and let him sit in the pressbox. 

I'd much rather play guys like Wolanin and Hirose then watch OEL stumble over himself. 

Plant drugs in his bag, then terminate his contract. I don't care.

Edited by MattWN.