The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] This is how we clear cap space!

11 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

No, but he can certainly look at the cap space teams have, and turn that 10 team list into 20. If he nixes the 10 teams with the most cap space, and the rest of the teams are capped out, it's going to limit our options even further. I think there will be more strategic planning done by Myers agent than just listing the 10 teams he doesn't want to play for. 

He has a partial NTC and not an NMC.  

They can use the threat of waivers.  It's what Tampa did with McDonough.  He refused to waive to go to CBJ so Tampa gave his agent time to find a new deal but the alternative would have been to put him on waivers and have CBJ pick him up.  

Edited by mll

20 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I guess we have to consider the value of Myers at $3M AAV, and $500k real dollars to the team that receives him.  in September there will be teams who lost out on the few available UFA’s who need a budget 2RD.That team will also get the benefit of flipping him at the deadline for an asset. Sounds like a good move for a bubble team that is somewhat price conscious.

Not making any predictions, but it does seem plausible.

Anaheim did that with Klingberg where they signed him to a 7M deal on the hope to then flip him for a premium at the TDL - they only got a 4th round pick + retained 50%.  Ended up being an expensive bet.  Myers is 1M in salary though.

Other than Klingberg they could also be losing Shattenkirk and Beaulieu to UFA - so they could be a team on the lookout for a veteran D.  They've been so bad that they might have trouble attracting anyone notable in free agency.  They are also a bit of a budget team + aren't expected to make the playoffs just yet.  

1 hour ago, MattWN. said:

Possible to see that be the case. Not sure if Myers would have OTT on his list, but they have spots to fill.

For me personally, I'd still rather hold onto Myers and recoup the assets ourselves at the deadline. 

There aren't any defensemen on the market I would want to pay free agency prices and term on right now.

Keep Myers and kick the can down the road until next year. I also want to see what this team currently has.

If they shit the bed again, there is no point in adding more pieces to this core. 

Yeah, I don’t mind that approach. He may improve drastically in his contract year, and drive up his value at the TDL.  Possible we free up cap space with a winger trade first

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neutral said:

Florida with 9m in cap space would be willing to tie 6m of that up to fill 1 bottom pair D spot...I think not unless there is retention or a deal happens at tdl

Waddya mean?  It'd be a $3m Myers and a 750k to $1m LHD.  So 3.75 to 4m on a 3rd pair.

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Only sure way to clear cap is buying out OEL. We control that scenario. All other ideas are ifs and hopes. 

I wouldn't touch an OEL buyout yet. If this management group is able to do the things they think they can, and turn this team into a contender.. we're going to need every single dollar to be contributing. Having that 4 mil dead cap in years 3-4 I believe is a non starter for me. Just wait until he gets injured again, or make him sit in the pressbox for the year. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I wouldn't touch an OEL buyout yet. If this management group is able to do the things they think they can, and turn this team into a contender.. we're going to need every single dollar to be contributing. Having that 4 mil dead cap in years 3-4 I believe is a non starter for me. Just wait until he gets injured again, or make him sit in the pressbox for the year. 

We must sign Petey this summer to a long term deal, especially if we’re keeping OEL. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

We must sign Petey this summer to a long term deal, especially if we’re keeping OEL. 

Cap will rise, even if its only by a couple mil. Myers contract ends. 

I'm not worried about fitting Petey's contract.

The worry will be icing a good team around him the bloated contracts we're sitting on.

Boeser/Garland/Beau, I'd say two of them need to go.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

Cap will rise, even if its only by a couple mil. Myers contract ends. 

I'm not worried about fitting Petey's contract.

The worry will be icing a good team around him the bloated contracts we're sitting on.

Boeser/Garland/Beau, I'd say two of them need to go.

Not worried about fitting Petey in cap wise. But am concerned with keeping OEL and the message that sends to Petey about our commitment to winning.us fans know had bad OEL is. The players know how bad OEL is too and that he’s dragging the team down. Keeping OEL might affect Petey’s decision to sign with us long term. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Not worried about fitting Petey in cap wise. But am concerned with keeping OEL and the message that sends to Petey about our commitment to winning.us fans know had bad OEL is. The players know how bad OEL is too and that he’s dragging the team down. Keeping OEL might affect Petey’s decision to sign with us long term. 

I think the nearly 5 million in dead cap for 25-26 and 26-27 are more of an issue. 

Every year we wait, the buyout gets easier to swallow.

It's not like we're going to realistically be contending next year, and probably not the following. 

2 minutes ago, MattWN. said:

I think the nearly 5 million in dead cap for 25-26 and 26-27 are more of an issue. 

Every year we wait, the buyout gets easier to swallow.

It's not like we're going to realistically be contending next year, and probably not the following. 

You can’t say that to Alf. 
In Melmac we are a 105 pt team next year being run by genius management group. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 4/27/2023 at 10:40 PM, MattWN. said:

100% the biggest issue moving forward.

If I'm the coach/gm and Christmas rolls around and OEL is still shitting the bed, he's heading to Abbotsford to the remainder of the season to ride the bus. Take the 1mil in cap savings, and pretend he doesn't exist. Wait and see how long he sticks it out there.

Full NMC so Abbotsford isn't an option for OEL. 

On 4/28/2023 at 6:46 AM, mll said:

That's an indication for the TDL and not the full season.  Timing matters.

At the TDL it's use the cap space or lose it for nothing.  At the start of the season teams are still in roster construction mode.  

The cap hit is the more relevant factor as it's about building a competitive team while remaining cap compliant.  Without cap space a team can't make the changes they need to build the roster they want and teams with cap space know it.

At the start of the season every team got 82.5M for their regular roster.  If a 6M cap hit is on the roster for the full season he is going to use up 6M of the 82.5M.  If that player is added with only 25% of the season left he's not going to be using up 6M but only 1.5M of the 82.5M.  (In LTIR there's no banking of cap space or pro-rata and a 6M cap hit is a 6M cap hit whether at the TDL or the start of the season).

It's why teams who have avoided LTIR and started their season under the cap have quite a bit of cap space at the TDL.  Minnesota added for over 13M worth of contracts and even had room for more.  They would have never been able to add that much at the start of the season.

Here is this TDL with the pro-rated cap space ie the amount those contracts use up of the 82.5M those teams had available for the season.  

• 4th round pick to Minnesota for 55 days of O'Reilly.  74K in salary.  557K pro-rated cap hit.
  • 5th round pick to Minnesota for 49 days of Orlov.  86K in salary.  337K pro-rated cap hit.
  • 3rd round pick to Arizona for 44 days of Kane.  172K in salary.  624K pro-rated cap hit.

Myers not in the same ball-park even with retention.  Can't really use that TDL scale for him. 

Except with only 25% of the season left you only have 25% of the cap left as well so I don't follow your logic. Having read your posts I know you're a smart guy so am I missing something in your explanation? Honest question.

I am not sure if Myers is moveable. 

The Canucks need to be cap compliant by the start of the season, and waiving him would only save 500k if no team picks him up. In that case if he can't be moved then we would get stuck having to waive Boeser/Beau/Garland (whoever is remaining) or trade with a good chunk of retention. 

Edited by canucklehead44