The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Let's Not Panic -- Cap Situation is NOT that Dire

Rate this topic

HKSR

37 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I like Pearson as a player too but his re-signing was just a brain dead move. We needed to improve the quality of the team not sign a bunch of redundant players. Did you notice how Pearson kept getting bumped up to Bo's wing. That's because his money should have been spent on a scoring or better/gritty winger to play in the top 6.

Benning collected a lot of players that in a vacuum are good players at a decent price but he had no clue how to assemble a team. That would be like signing 7 goalies. After the first two who cares if they are good value, it's just a waste of money. We sure could have used Pearson's money on a RD last year while management signed yet more wingers.

Good player, bad contract for the Canucks in both foresight and hindsight. I couldn't believe JB was adding more cap in the Covid era just after we had offers for Pearson at the TDL.

Yeah I'm a little dramatic here. I just don't think Studnicka is a good depth piece at all. I'm not sure what you saw in his play you liked. Maybe you could help me out there. I would rather go find anyone else on the waiver wire. We really do have to just stop signing guys that suck. It was a decent effort that didn't produce any positive results. I just hope we move on and he's not on the roster next year is all. The reason he's got to go is there are only so many spots on the roster. They are all important. We can't be a charity case.

As far as Bear I think he's terrible. We really need to stop with this philosophy that well they aren't really that bad if you think about it. He was, that's Carolina didn't play him. We need better players plain and simple. Especially in a top 4 role. If he was fighting for the 7th spot then sure but first line RD. That's not going to cut it.

I liked his play he's decent defensively and in the neutral zone doesn't stand out good or bad, can be a good net presence with some offensive touch too, as a depth call up guy there is literally nothing wrong with him. he had 8 points on a shit team with no set linemates and still hasn't played a full NHL season. He's earned a 1 year show me deal at the very least. 

• Cheers 1

8 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Pearson is defensively solid and plays a tough go to the net game, that is nothing like Beau. 
Beau is a small goal scorer that doesn’t score a lot of goals and provides some forecheck. RT used him in protected role after initial putting him with EP because he didn’t trust him defensively. He provides some forecheck at least. 
A hot streak after getting traded and playing up the lineup with EP pumped up his tires a bit, but like a teams play after a coaching bump, that isn’t sustainable. He looks a lot like one of these players who peaked as a rookie and has not lived up to expectations since and who’s game hasn’t grown. 
Pearson is a utility knife that can play up and down the lineup. That is not what Beau is. 

I more so meant it as they were both paid to be 2nd line guys but should really be on the 3rd line. So are looked at negatively in the market because for what they’re getting paid they’re not doing enough. If I could give Pearson or Beauvillier away for nothing just cap space I would. Garland and even Boeser to an extent the idea of losing them for nothing kinda stings.

29 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

I liked his play he's decent defensively and in the neutral zone doesn't stand out good or bad, can be a good net presence with some offensive touch too, as a depth call up guy there is literally nothing wrong with him. he had 8 points on a shit team with no set linemates and still hasn't played a full NHL season. He's earned a 1 year show me deal at the very least. 

He is at league minimum deal. This it not where our problems lay. 
He may be the victim of not being able to move other contracts, giving others from within a chance, but he isn't the problem. 

• Cheers 1

53 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Hmmm... yes and no regarding Pearson. 
I get your point about the money though. He was probably signed to a slightly higher contract, for what he was bringing, but I wouldn't say, he was redundant. 
Reason he kept being put on Horvats wing was as much a representation that we had nobody better than Pearson.
When Boeser was on Horvats wing, they needed somebody to go to the net and being able to defend as well. 
He scores around 15+ goals (not checking stats), and he was defensive sound as well. On top of that he went to the hard areas and also wasn't worried about dripping the mitts. 
Basically Dorsets light (fighting wise)...

I think the fact we sucked defensively on the PK was also partly because of Pearsons injury...

In general yes he was at the end of carreer but the need for him was more a show that we didn't have anybody to replace him. 
ATM we have Beau, Garland and Boeser making $5M or more and none of them can defend particularly well, so I think he had a place on this team. 

I can see it your way but respectfully disagree. Call it a philosophical difference which is fine. I get we didn't really have a replacement but to me that's the problem. Just because you can't satisfy the requirement you want immediately I don't agree with locking yourself into a poor option for 3 more years in desperation. Now we're sitting here with Pearson, Beau, Garland, and Boeser, all making more money than they are worth and pretty much untradeable. Pearson didn't contribute to us winning much and held us back from improving the last couple years.

For the record I love his north south game and how he single handedly gets pucks on net down the wing to relieve pressure. Doesn't change the reality of the situation. This to me would be like re-signing Beau to a $3.5 mil contract. It's good money on it's own for what he brings but it's going to block us from future moves and he's surplus to our needs. I don't want to bicker any further though. I really like Pearson I just thought re-signing him was dumb. You can't just re-sign everyone. I feel confident there were better options available, and one was simply doing nothing or better yet trading him for assets during the Canadian division year.

51 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Fair enough. I don't feel he's worth a one way deal but he's signed for this season at under $800,000. Buried in the minors as a call up where he can't waste cap and a roster spot. Yeah sure okay. I just think it's planning to fail if he's penciled into the NHL line-up. I wasn't impressed at all with what he brought.

It seems to me we get in the habit here of defending all of these moves and it's part of the very reason we suck.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2

7 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I can see it your way but respectfully disagree. Call it a philosophical difference which is fine. I get we didn't really have a replacement but to me that's the problem. Just because you can't satisfy the requirement you want immediately I don't agree with locking yourself into a poor option for 3 more years in desperation. Now we're sitting here with Pearson, Beau, Garland, and Boeser, all making more money than they are worth and pretty much untradeable. Pearson didn't contribute to us winning much and held us back from improving the last couple years.

For the record I love his north south game and how he single handedly gets pucks on net down the wing to relieve pressure. Doesn't change the reality of the situation. This to me would be like re-signing Beau to a $3.5 mil contract. It's good money on it's own for what he brings but it's going to block us from future moves and he's surplus to our needs. I don't want to bicker any further though. I really like Pearson I just thought re-signing him was dumb. You can't just re-sign everyone. I feel confident there were better options available, and one was simply doing nothing or better yet trading him for assets during the Canadian division year.

Fair enough. I don't feel he's worth a one way deal but he's signed for this season at under $800,000. Buried in the minors as a call up where he can't waste cap and a roster spot. Yeah sure okay. I just think it's planning to fail if he's penciled into the NHL line-up. I wasn't impressed at all with what he brought.

It seems to me we get in the habit here of defending all of these moves and it's part of the very reason we suck.

Cheers amigo. 
no worries... we don't have to see everything the same way

Thats the joy of a forum like this. Various points of views. :)

• Cheers 3

3 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I don't know about that one. Studnicka was a fail. Don't want to see him or Bear back. Both are a sign management is accepting a wasted season.

studnicka and bear are both liked by the coaching staff so not sure where they fall into the fail category.  

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yup, Pearson I have zero issue with, he's sound defensively can fill in on the pk and move around on any line when called upon. Not sure why some people have an issue with him. 

hes more than sound defensively.  excellent along the boards, always makes the right play, hardly ever gives the puck up.  he also scored some timely goals for the team.  hes been part of a winning culture before and he brings solid experience to the club.   seems as though people on this board only want to see 21 year old with zero experience on the club.  

isnt he only making around 3.2 mil?  that is peanuts for what he offers the team.  

Edited by EddieVedder
  • Cheers 2

IMO Bear is not what is required for a roster supposedly trying to improve. He's 1" taller than Hughes but can't ply  the same game. If however he was 3" taller and 20lbs heavier he would be a fit. But he's neither, so I don't believe he's worth a lot. You certainly can't tie him up on a multi year contract. If nothing else comes along then give him a  1 year contract. Plus of clourse he was replaced by Chatfield which says a  lot IMO

Edited by Fred65
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

studnicka and bear are both liked by the coaching staff so not sure where they fall into the fail category.  

Yeah that's true, it worries me quite a bit. I don't think either of them are very good. Like not even as good as Boeser. ;)

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

IMO Bear is not what is required for a roster supposedly trying to improve. He's 1" taller than Hughes but can't ply  the same game. If however he was 3" taller and 20lbs heavier he would be a fit. But he's neither, so I don't believe he's worth a lot. You certainly can't tie him up on a multi year contract. If nothing else comes along then give him a  1 year contract. Plus of clourse he was replaced by Chatfield which says a  lot IMO

He was not replaced by Chatfield, he asked to be moved, they opted to sit him until they moved him. Not sure why this keeps getting parroted here. 

23 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He was not replaced by Chatfield, he asked to be moved, they opted to sit him until they moved him. Not sure why this keeps getting parroted here. 

I think he asked to be moved because he knew he wasn't going to play there. It's pretty clear Carolina didn't value him above a player like Chatfield ... who played 78 games in the spot Bear was competing for. After being a healthy scratch for 7 straight games to start the year Bear was traded. They didn't even play him one game to find out what they had there. I couldn't find any information confirming what you're suggesting. Bear wasn't wanted there as far as I can tell. I thought that was common knowledge?

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/09/hurricanes-shopping-ethan-bear.html

Hurricanes Shopping Ethan Bear

SEPTEMBER 21, 2022 AT 9:01 PM CDT | BY BRIAN LA ROSE 13 COMMENTS

Earlier this summer, Carolina gave Ethan Bear permission to speak to other teams heading into restricted free agency.  At the time, it seemed like he was a candidate to be non-tendered but in the end, the Hurricanes qualified him and signed the 25-year-old to a one-year, $2.2MM deal.  However, Postmedia’s Bruce Garrioch reports that even with the new contract, Carolina is still trying to move the young defender.

ethan-bear-carolina-202x300.jpgLast season was a tough one for Bear.  After being a regular in a top-four role for Edmonton back in 2019-20, he battled some injury issues the following season and dropped down the depth chart which helped contribute to him being traded to Carolina a few days after the draft in 2021.  The hope was that he’d rebound but instead, history repeated itself.  Bear was banged up at times last season and when he was in the lineup, he struggled.  Overall, he had five goals and nine assists in 58 games with a career-low 16:05 ATOI.  While he underwent a minor procedure after the playoffs, Bear was available to play if needed but was scratched for every contest.

In a recent appearance on CHEK (video link), Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported that the Canucks are among the teams that have shown interest in Bear.  There is a definite opening on the right side of their back end but making the money work could be tricky.  They’re less than a million below their LTIR ceiling (with Micheal Ferland not playing again this season) which is considerably less space than Bear’s contract.  Tucker Poolman’s availability for the start of the year is in question but he’s expected back at some point which takes the option of adding Bear to slide into Poolman’s vacated spot off the table as well.

Meanwhile, Carolina has no such cap concerns.  With Max Pacioretty and Jake Gardiner LTIR-bound to start the season, they have the ability to find him in without an issue.  However, Dylan Coghlan is also in the fold and could push for a spot on the third pairing which could have Bear on the fringes of the lineup once again; Brett Pesce and Brent Burns are clearly locked into the right-side spots on the top two pairings already.  By qualifying him, the Hurricanes determined that there was still some value but if he sits a lot early on, that will change in a hurry.

Whether it’s Vancouver or another team, it looks like Bear is a candidate to be on the move over the coming weeks and with the situation he’ll likely be in with Carolina where he’ll be battling for a spot in the lineup, it might be a move that the Hurricanes will want to make sooner than later.

Photo courtesy of USA Today

https://thehockeynews.com/news/the-carolina-hurricanes-could-soon-move-ethan-bear

THE CAROLINA HURRICANES COULD SOON MOVE ETHAN BEAR

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Ethan Bear just wants to play hockey. A healthy scratch so far, he could be on the move shortly.

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

After a difficult 2021-22 including a bout with COVID-19, Ethan Bear has yet to play a game this season for the Carolina Hurricanes. Signed to a one-year contract worth $2.2 million in July, the 25-year-old defenseman has been a healthy scratch thus far.

On Saturday, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported Bear wants to play and the Hurricanes have been exploring trade options. Part of the problem, however, is interested clubs want them to retain a portion of his salary which the Hurricanes aren't keen to do if they're not getting a decent return.

Friedman feels the situation could be resolved soon by a club making an acceptable offer to the Hurricanes or placing Bear on waivers. It's also possible he could slot into the Carolina lineup.

Bear popped up during the pre-season last month as a trade candidate linked to the Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks. Friedman also mentioned the Canucks as a possible suitor.

Both clubs could use additional depth on their respective bluelines. The Senators have been linked for some time to the Arizona Coyotes' Jakob Chychrun. However, the high asking price for the 24-year-old rearguard could force them to consider more affordable short-term options.

It's not known if the Montreal Canadiens have an interest in Bear, but Montreal Hockey Now's Marco D'Amico cited their need for an experienced right-side defenseman. He noted that the Canadiens still hold priority on waivers for another week, giving them first crack at Bear if he's made available.

18 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

I don't give a darn about requests he signed and the team ices the best roster they can. What Bear wants to do in his personel life is irrelavent. He agreed and signed the contract it's on him to make a place for himself on the playing roster. Being sat for almost half a season does not look good for his future, who want's that sort of player

Edited by Fred65
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I don't give a farn about requests he signed and the team ices the best roster they can. What Bear wants to do in his personel life is irrelavent. Heagreed abd signed the contract it's on him to make a place for himself on the playing roster. Being sat for almost half a season does not look good for his future, who want's that sort of player

He asked to be moved in the off season and they sat him until they found a move. Ignoring this doesn’t make your claim true. At all. 

So no, he did not “lose his spot” to Chatfield based on play. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

He asked to be moved in the off season and they sat him until they found a move. Ignoring this doesn’t make your claim true. At all. 

So no, he did not “lose his spot” to Chatfield based on play. 

As you wish :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think he asked to be moved because he knew he wasn't going to play there. It's pretty clear Carolina didn't value him above a player like Chatfield ... who played 78 games in the spot Bear was competing for. After being a healthy scratch for 7 straight games to start the year Bear was traded. They didn't even play him one game to find out what they had there. I couldn't find any information confirming what you're suggesting. Bear wasn't wanted there as far as I can tell. I thought that was common knowledge?

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2022/09/hurricanes-shopping-ethan-bear.html

Hurricanes Shopping Ethan Bear

SEPTEMBER 21, 2022 AT 9:01 PM CDT | BY BRIAN LA ROSE 13 COMMENTS

Earlier this summer, Carolina gave Ethan Bear permission to speak to other teams heading into restricted free agency.  At the time, it seemed like he was a candidate to be non-tendered but in the end, the Hurricanes qualified him and signed the 25-year-old to a one-year, $2.2MM deal.  However, Postmedia’s Bruce Garrioch reports that even with the new contract, Carolina is still trying to move the young defender.

ethan-bear-carolina-202x300.jpgLast season was a tough one for Bear.  After being a regular in a top-four role for Edmonton back in 2019-20, he battled some injury issues the following season and dropped down the depth chart which helped contribute to him being traded to Carolina a few days after the draft in 2021.  The hope was that he’d rebound but instead, history repeated itself.  Bear was banged up at times last season and when he was in the lineup, he struggled.  Overall, he had five goals and nine assists in 58 games with a career-low 16:05 ATOI.  While he underwent a minor procedure after the playoffs, Bear was available to play if needed but was scratched for every contest.

In a recent appearance on CHEK (video link), Sportsnet’s Elliotte Friedman reported that the Canucks are among the teams that have shown interest in Bear.  There is a definite opening on the right side of their back end but making the money work could be tricky.  They’re less than a million below their LTIR ceiling (with Micheal Ferland not playing again this season) which is considerably less space than Bear’s contract.  Tucker Poolman’s availability for the start of the year is in question but he’s expected back at some point which takes the option of adding Bear to slide into Poolman’s vacated spot off the table as well.

Meanwhile, Carolina has no such cap concerns.  With Max Pacioretty and Jake Gardiner LTIR-bound to start the season, they have the ability to find him in without an issue.  However, Dylan Coghlan is also in the fold and could push for a spot on the third pairing which could have Bear on the fringes of the lineup once again; Brett Pesce and Brent Burns are clearly locked into the right-side spots on the top two pairings already.  By qualifying him, the Hurricanes determined that there was still some value but if he sits a lot early on, that will change in a hurry.

Whether it’s Vancouver or another team, it looks like Bear is a candidate to be on the move over the coming weeks and with the situation he’ll likely be in with Carolina where he’ll be battling for a spot in the lineup, it might be a move that the Hurricanes will want to make sooner than later.

Photo courtesy of USA Today

https://thehockeynews.com/news/the-carolina-hurricanes-could-soon-move-ethan-bear

THE CAROLINA HURRICANES COULD SOON MOVE ETHAN BEAR

Carolina Hurricanes defenseman Ethan Bear just wants to play hockey. A healthy scratch so far, he could be on the move shortly.

Charles LeClaire-USA TODAY Sports

After a difficult 2021-22 including a bout with COVID-19, Ethan Bear has yet to play a game this season for the Carolina Hurricanes. Signed to a one-year contract worth $2.2 million in July, the 25-year-old defenseman has been a healthy scratch thus far.

On Saturday, Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman reported Bear wants to play and the Hurricanes have been exploring trade options. Part of the problem, however, is interested clubs want them to retain a portion of his salary which the Hurricanes aren't keen to do if they're not getting a decent return.

Friedman feels the situation could be resolved soon by a club making an acceptable offer to the Hurricanes or placing Bear on waivers. It's also possible he could slot into the Carolina lineup.

Bear popped up during the pre-season last month as a trade candidate linked to the Ottawa Senators and Vancouver Canucks. Friedman also mentioned the Canucks as a possible suitor.

Both clubs could use additional depth on their respective bluelines. The Senators have been linked for some time to the Arizona Coyotes' Jakob Chychrun. However, the high asking price for the 24-year-old rearguard could force them to consider more affordable short-term options.

It's not known if the Montreal Canadiens have an interest in Bear, but Montreal Hockey Now's Marco D'Amico cited their need for an experienced right-side defenseman. He noted that the Canadiens still hold priority on waivers for another week, giving them first crack at Bear if he's made available.

They gave him permission to speak to teams because he asked to be moved in the offseason, that is why he didn’t play a game. He played for the previous season, so they knew what they had. 

They decided to play someone else and find someone to fill that role until he was moved. 

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

I don't give a farn about requests he signed and the team ices the best roster they can. What Bear wants to do in his personel life is irrelavent. Heagreed abd signed the contract it's on him to make a place for himself on the playing roster. Being sat for almost half a season does not look good for his future, who want's that sort of player

Yeah I can't believe some folks think this guy is anything above a #6 / #7 replacement level project player on a middling team. He's not cracking the roster on any team worth it's salt. It's almost like people are programmed to to accept inept defenceman on this team. I don't really blame them though after the last 10 years.

• Like 1
  • Wat 1

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah I can't believe some folks think this guy is anything above a #6 / #7 replacement level project player on a middling team. He's not cracking the roster on any team worth it's salt. It's almost like people are programmed to to accept inept defenceman on this team. I don't really blame them though after the last 10 years.

He’s more than replacement level, he is a 5/6 right now though. His play did taper off at the end of the season a bit but he’s not awful by any means. 

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

They gave him permission to speak to teams because he asked to be moved in the offseason, that is why he didn’t play a game. He played for the previous season, so they knew what they had. 

They decided to play someone else and find someone to fill that role until he was moved. 

Did you read the articles I quoted for you? He was also a healthy scratch in the playoffs. I think the writing is clearly on the wall here. As @Fred65 says ... as you wish.

From watching him play and all the reports it's pretty clear Carolina didn't want him. You seem to be willfully obtuse on this matter which is fine. I just hope he's not here and I have to remind you of this during the upcoming season. Does Vegas ring a bell? :lol:

The hope was that he’d rebound but instead, history repeated itself.  Bear was banged up at times last season and when he was in the lineup, he struggled.  Overall, he had five goals and nine assists in 58 games with a career-low 16:05 ATOI.  While he underwent a minor procedure after the playoffs, Bear was available to play if needed but was scratched for every contest.

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He’s more than replacement level, he is a 5/6 right now though. His play did taper off at the end of the season a bit but he’s not awful by any means. 

Here's the thing. Mmanagement ( and fans alike ) are trying to improve the team not remain static. As PA siad in a press question I don't know about a raise for Bear.Those few words speak volumes

• Cheers 2