The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jim Bennings legacy without the OEL trade. Grade him out of 10.

Rate this topic

MaxVerstappen33

10 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I would probably lower it to 2,2 but I’m biased I heard. B)

Amasing that fans here have this view on Benning. Kudos for that.

This place were literally filled with Bennings henchmen attacking everyone that had a different(negative) opinion.

and you round that off it's 2/10. Then you deduct the high Canadian taxes it's closer to 1.5/10 :P 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, Timråfan said:

I would probably lower it to 2,2 but I’m biased I heard. B)

Amasing that fans here have this view on Benning. Kudos for that.

This place were literally filled with Bennings henchmen attacking everyone that had a different(negative) opinion.

There's a difference between disagreeing with his moves, and throwing a temper tantrum over how "poorly" Loui Eriksson was treated.

38 minutes ago, MaxVerstappen33 said:

It was bad but wasn't even the worst free agent signing of 2016. 

2 Kyle Okposo – RW  Islanders  Sabres  7 yrs, $42M ($6.0M AAV)
 3 Loui Eriksson – RW  Bruins  Canucks  6 yrs, $36M ($6.0M AAV)
 4 Milan Lucic – LW  Kings  Oilers  7 yrs, $42M ($6.0M AAV)
 5 David Backes – C  Blues  Bruins  5 yrs, $30M ($6.0M AAV)
 6 Andrew Ladd – LW  Blackhawks  Islanders  7 yrs, $38.5M ($5.5M AAV)

Even as late as last year Okposo got 21 goals and 45 points...numbers Loui never came close to at any point in his deal, let alone the end of it.

Lucic - 50 points his first year in Edmonton.  Loui numbers after that but he played tough at least.  People are talking about signing him this year.  Loui has been out of the NHL for a while now.

Backes...  Yuck.  But at least that deal was over a year sooner.

Ladd...  Yeah that turned out worse than Loui probably.

8 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Even as late as last year Okposo got 21 goals and 45 points...numbers Loui never came close to at any point in his deal, let alone the end of it.

Lucic - 50 points his first year in Edmonton.  Loui numbers after that but he played tough at least.  People are talking about signing him this year.  Loui has been out of the NHL for a while now.

There was also this. It was just a terrifying free agent class. Some argue he was used in defensive situations and that pushed his production down.

Troy Brouwer – RW  Blues  Flames

4 yrs, $18M ($4.5M AAV)

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Biestra said:

People are advocating signing Lucic to a million max deal, same or slightly more than what Loui would get if someone signed him no (not us though no thanks Loui, not Lucic)

Edited by canuck73_3

5 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

People are advocating signing Lucic to a million max deal, same or slightly more than what Loui would get if someone signed him no (not us though no thanks Loui, not Lucic)

Yeah Loui would get the league minimum if he signed in the NHL this summer...but so would I.  None of the 32 teams is remotely interested in either of us.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

There's a difference between disagreeing with his moves, and throwing a temper tantrum over how "poorly" Loui Eriksson was treated.

? Loui was treated? The Loui thing was very little but showed how Benning tries to save his face on others expense.

Dahlen on the other hand. That was really bad and moved him into sociopath behaviour.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

? Loui was treated? The Loui thing was very little but showed how Benning tries to save his face on others expense.

Dahlen on the other hand. That was really bad and moved him into sociopath behaviour.

Lol the fact that Dahlen got everything he wanted in San Jose and still took his ball and ran home determined that was a lie.

23 hours ago, iinatcc said:

It doesn't look much better if you sort it based on Playoffs appearances or best finish though 

I guess if you Completely ignore Rutherford’s time in Pittsburgh, like the original table does. :huh:

Looks a little different when you include him making the playoffs 5 out of 6 years with the Pens, oh and a couple of Stanley Cups.

So I’m not sure what that table is supposed to illustrate? GMs success with one organization?

• Cheers 1

23 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

But we're told he had to be convinced by Ron Delorme (:lol:) to select Petey (that's Benning's *own words*).:ph34r:

Even so he deferred to Delorme and it's worked out brilliantly, can't fault him for making the right decision even if he had to be sold on it. 

14 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Moved an expendable soft player. 

No, saved face while sacrificing a young prospect. 
That is a psychopath or sociopath in action.

I tried to explain it before but you don’t get it.

Now more than I see that he did things that were bad for the team. 
You all should have listened to me when I showed his tells. 
Save his own face while sacrificing a person without any power is a real tell who somebody is.

Edited by Timråfan

2 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Even so he deferred to Delorme and it's worked out brilliantly, can't fault him for making the right decision even if he had to be sold on it. 

He only deferred to Delorme because Brackett and Hammarströmwas on their way out. 

8 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

No, saved face while sacrificing a young prospect. 
That is a psychopath or sociopath in action.

I tried to explain it before but you don’t get it.

Now more than I see that he did things that were bad for the team. 
You all should have listened to me when I showed his tells. 
Save his own face while sacrificing a person without any power is a real tell who somebody is.

lol your overvaluing of spare parts is tedious and annoying. Dahlen is a useless asset get the fk over it already. 

24 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sold on the move isn’t exactly right. It’s more like Benning had to be told to pick Petey. The story reported includes Linden needing to step in and support the voices of the scouts for Petey over Glass. Benning seems a nice enough guy. But when it came to his belief in his own scouting ability he grossly overrated himself. So much so it was a serious flaw. He was GM and no longer had the time to scout properly. He should have accepted that fact. 

35 minutes ago, arsenalian said:

I guess if you Completely ignore Rutherford’s time in Pittsburgh, like the original table does. :huh:

Looks a little different when you include him making the playoffs 5 out of 6 years with the Pens, oh and a couple of Stanley Cups.

So I’m not sure what that table is supposed to illustrate? GMs success with one organization?

I guess regular season results is the easiest to measure because all 32 teams participate in the regular season. Plus it's easier to measure w/o context, people can make fun of Kyle Dubas of never having a team that made it past the 1st round (except this year) but it's hard to measure, in raw numbers, that since the Leafs also were elimnated by teams that ended up making it to the finals (mostly). 

• There it is 1