The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Canucks interested in Carson Soucy

6 minutes ago, KirkSave said:

If they are able to move out wingers I think it would likely be AB and CG of the 3.

-Boeser and Petey are best friends and his contract has a higher cap and longer term making it more difficult to move

-Garland and Beau are more rounded players and have less term and cap on their deals

Unless the Canucks add or find a team in desperate need of wingers, I see us being unable to move any 3 to start the season. But by the deadline, we could move Beau for some assets if it's decided he isn't in the long term plan. At least we have lots of depth at wing...too much almost!

Garland is not a rounded pkayer. He is a one dimensional small and slow winger. He is a liability unless he has the puck in the offensive zone. Brock can play along the walls in all zones , with or without the puck. 

Just now, Alflives said:

Garland is not a rounded pkayer. He is a one dimensional small and slow winger. He is a liability unless he has the puck in the offensive zone. Brock can play along the walls in all zones , with or without the puck. 

I disagree on this take Alfie

Garland is not slow and he is not a defensive liability. 

He plays to his contract. 

If anyone was a defensive liability between the two, it was Brock. Look at his plus minus and the eye test confirmed it. I think he was terrible defensively.

Brock played less to his contract than Garland.

You mixed them both up. 

What I will give you is that Brock has a higher ceiling and could very well rebound in a much better season next year, surpassing Garland.

3 hours ago, Citizen Erased said:

I have no idea why people are fixated on size.

Tyler Myers is huge, but he’s a gentle giant.

People are fixated on size because the last 3 Stanley cup champions have all he had big blue lines. Not necessarily overly physical, but tall and mobile. 

It simply makes the offensive zone smaller for the other team and makes it a lot more difficult to skate up and down the ice. 

• Like 3

Just now, grandmaster said:

I disagree on this take Alfie

Garland is not slow and he is not a defensive liability. 

He plays to his contract. 

If anyone was a defensive liability between the two, it was Brock. Look at his plus minus and the eye test confirmed it. I think he was terrible defensively.

Brock played less to his contract than Garland.

You mixed them both up. 

What I will give you is that Brock has a higher ceiling and could very well rebound in a much better season next year, surpassing Garland.

Brock improved along the wall and defensively under Tocchet, I would 100% move Beauvillier of the 3 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, billabong said:

People are fixated on size because the last 3 Stanley cup champions have all he had big blue lines. Not necessarily overly physical, but tall and mobile. 

It simply makes the offensive zone smaller for the other team and makes it a lot more difficult to skate up and down the ice. 

Thanks for answering my question.

Is it possible that it’s just a coincidence the last few Stanley Cup championship teams have had that type of defence and fans see what we have on defence, so they want to copy that formula with the hope of having the same success?

Or do you think this is the beginning of a trend going forward?

5 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Saucy would be good as 3rd pair with spot duty on 2nd pair.

I don't think he should be our fulltime 2md pair LHD if we want to be a competitive team. 

Very good #5 Dman

I'd probably peg him as a 4B/5A D. He's certainly not the one going to be driving the 2nd pair with Hronek (a 2B/3A himself IMO) ;) I think Hronek is good enough to "carry" him, and Soucy is good enough to complement him there. And at something reasonable like $3-3.5 x 3-4 years, he'd also be cheap/short enough to move to and carry a 3rd pair should we acquire or develop someone that passes him.

1 hour ago, SniperSingh said:

I'd move Garland simply because he 'fits less' into our team. He for sure has value, a very good 5 on 5 player who's underutilized as he's not seen as a top 6 guy here, but could be on a team lacking a top 6 winger. We need  / want more size on the wings and so he doesn't fit.

As for Beau, to me he's more of a swiss army knife. He actually has played alot of center, and I personally would like to see us try him at 3c. Regardless, he has a very good playoff pedigree, is decent on the PK and can play on the 2nd PP, and he's 5'11 vs 5'8". HockeyDB says Garland is 5'10' but come on man! no chance! haha

Love to do a full dumperoo of Garland. But he has negative value. He’s just too limited in what he can contribute. Too slow for the PK. Not a threat on the PP. No shot to drive D back 5 on 5. And without the puck he’s terrible. Not a fan of this Benning stain. 

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

Thanks for answering my question.

Is it possible that it’s just a coincidence the last few Stanley Cup championship teams have had that type of defence and fans see what we have on defence, so they want to copy that formula with the hope of having the same success?

Or do you think this is the beginning of a trend going forward?

Well the NHL is a copy-cat league so if it worked so well for them it must work for us. 10 years ago, LA won some cups then everyone wanted gritty and mean hockey players. 

It’s not to say other make ups of D couldn’t work, it just the tall and mobile formula has worked 4 years in a row so it’s a good recipe to follow 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Garland has been a far more effective player the past 2 seasons for us and isn't gifted top PP time. You put Garland with Miller or Petey and he would put up even more points than he has playing basically a 3rd line role on this club.

Brock is slow. For a guy his size he hesitates to make or receive contact when he should be laying guys out. Garland albeit small, plays tenacious and scrappy, he gets under the skin of the opposition and draws lots of penalties. His game hold more value than Brock's at this given time and his contract is better. Hence, moving Garland would be easier than Brock.

4 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd probably peg him as a 4B/5A D. He's certainly not the one going to be driving the 2nd pair with Hronek (a 2B/3A himself IMO) ;) I think Hronek is good enough to "carry" him, and Soucy is good enough to complement him there. And at something reasonable like $3-3.5 x 3-4 years, he'd also be cheap/short enough to move to and carry a 3rd pair should we acquire or develop someone that passes him.

Maybe this is the approach we’ll take - finding lower cost, complimentary partners for Hughes & Hronek. 

Hughes - Schenn

Soucy - Hronek

In related news, I was happy to hear the Leafs and Schenn remain far apart….

• Like 1

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Maybe this is the approach we’ll take - finding lower cost, complimentary partners for Hughes & Hronek. 

Hughes - Schenn

Soucy - Hronek

The “SHAMaplan” is to pay Matthews

14  mil x 4. got to save on Schenn. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Garland is far from a liability off the puck. And he is certainly not slow. 

Garland is absolutely slow compared to nhl guys. He is certainly a liability without the puck too. And I actually like him! If he could play like a rat (which he can) all the time then he’d be worth his contract. But he’s not consistent. He’s just not a guy worth his cap. He’s easily replaced by a 2 mil player. 

• Wat 3

3 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Garland is absolutely slow compared to nhl guys. He is certainly a liability without the puck too. And I actually like him! If he could play like a rat (which he can) all the time then he’d be worth his contract. But he’s not consistent. He’s just not a guy worth his cap. He’s easily replaced by a 2 mil player. 

Find me a player that can put up 50 points playing 15 mins a game with little to no PP time. 

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Devron said:

Find me a player that can put up 50 points playing 15 mins a game with little to no PP time. 

The game is about contributing to winning. Garland just doesn’t do that. He’s small and slow and not particularly good unless he has the puck in the o zone. That’s just not worth much. All the Loui faces and paper bags will not change that fact. And I’m a huge homer! But even with that Garland is another Benning stain that needs to go for us to be better. 

• Wat 1

Just now, Alflives said:

The game is about contributing to winning. Garland just doesn’t do that. He’s small and slow and not particularly good unless he has the puck in the o zone. That’s just not worth much. All the Loui faces and paper bags will not change that fact. And I’m a huge homer! But even with that Garland is another Benning stain that needs to go for us to be better. 

Here’s what I think Alf. I think you have tunnel vision because of our past GM. I think any recent move JB did is on your sh!tlist. Which is fine it’s good to have passion. 

Garland may not be the player we need on this team but I’m sick of our own fans lowballing our players. He’s a great 2 way winger, that brings some grittiness. He doesn’t really fit on our team as a third line player. He’s better suited for a top 6 role and maybe that’s on another team. But please stop crapping on decent players just because you’d like to see him moved. I’d probably move him over Boeser myself but I’m not going to sit here and say he’s a crappy player. Cause he’s far from 

• Cheers 2

16 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Hughes - Schenn

Soucy - Hronek

I'd still prefer we spend some of that cap space on a better partner for Hughes. Whether that's a Graves/Mayfield, or a trade for a Carlo or similar etc

Hughes, Graves/Mayfield/Carlo etc

Soucy, Hronek

Prospect/UFA, Schenn

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1