The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

9 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

Yup this is it for now

no more thinging unless someone gets shoved 

Buyout window is closed too 

I thought about it a lot and I REALLY hope they can find a way to bring back Bear, even if he joins the team 2 months into the season, he was perfectly fine with QH, and it would allow us to put Soucy on the third pair where he and Myers would bully and obliterate every living thing unfortunate enough to venture into our defensive zone 

Let’s say we move Garland with 1m retention, that gives us 1.5m for Bear, and 2.5m for someone like Pius Suter 

Kuz-Petey-Beau

mikheyev-miller-Boeser

Pearson-Suter-Joshua

Podkolzin-Blueger-Aman

Hughes-Bear

Cole-Hronek

Soucy-Myers 

YES PLEASE 

Even better, I'd LOVE to see us trade Garland ++ for Pesce and then sign Asplund and Suter (if we can squeeze both in). Sign Bear if/after we manage to move Myers post bonus. Hoglander unfortunately may need to spot in for injuries until we move Beau and/or Pearson.

Beau, Petey, Kuz

Mik, Miller, Boeser

Pearson, Suter, Asplund

Podz, Blueger, Aman/Dakota

Hoglander, PDG

Hughes, Pesce

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Bear/Myers

Irwin

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1

I'm excited by the Defense, and what that could look like one day. They say D wins championships, so, well done Allvin.  Canucks also have elite goaltending.

Hughes - Willander

Pettersson - Hronek

Kudryavtsev - Brzustewicz

Hirose - Woo

Mynio - Johansson

Jurmo - Celebrini (wild card)

(also: Rathbone, McWard, Utunen, Truscott)

And on Offense, there's Petey and Miller - two 100 point players. I also expect Kuzmenko to take a big step (imagine that after last season's excellence)

Edited by NUCKER67
  • Cheers 2

Can’t see Myers being traded unless they are bringing in Dumba at a cheaper rate. I know Dumba has slipped the past couple years and I don’t know the website people use to check the underlying numbers like WAR for the last 3 seasons. If he’s only marginally better than Myers we may as well stick with the 1 year commitment rather than sign Dumba for 4+ years.

At this point I’d be surprised if we do much else.  Will be a delicate balance as some names fall the board and other teams warm up to our players - do we retain a willingness to make trades?  

Maybe on Garland.  Not so sure about Myers. 

The D as it stands doesn’t look half bad with Myers on the 3rd pair.  He still brings great size, can play up the lineup in a pinch but primarily in a reduced role could minimize his chaos.  I’d be interested to see how he does with a no nonsense partner like Wolanin, as well.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Can’t see Myers being traded unless they are bringing in Dumba at a cheaper rate. I know Dumba has slipped the past couple years and I don’t know the website people use to check the underlying numbers like WAR for the last 3 seasons. If he’s only marginally better than Myers we may as well stick with the 1 year commitment rather than sign Dumba for 4+ years.

GTFO of here with Dumba talk. Not remotely the player type we need.

Trade for Pesce.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

At this point I’d be surprised if we do much else.  Will be a delicate balance as some names fall the board and other teams warm up to our players - do we retain a willingness to make trades?  

The D as it stands doesn’t look half bad with Myers on the 3rd pair.  He still brings great size, can play up the lineup in a pinch but primarily in a reduced role could minimize his chaos.  I’d be interested to see how he does with a no nonsense partner like Wolanin, as well.

The league is quickly running out of cap space. One of the guys I wanted, Fischer, just signed for a hair over $1m. We can still sign some at/near league min guys, that may have to take that on 1 year deals, just to stay in the league.

Hoping Suter and Asplund are on that list for us.

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

I could see the Leafs getting desperate and trading for Garland without retention. They lost a bunch of depth.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

The league is quickly running out of cap space. One of the guys I wanted, Fischer, just signed for a hair over $1m. We can still sign some at/near league min guys, that may have to take that on 1 year deals, just to stay in the league.

Hoping Suter and Asplund are on that list for us.

I was under the impression that, with Pearson healthy, we were out of space.  

Would love to learn we have space for another signing or two.  Suter on a 1 year deal to push Bleuger to 4C would be fantastic. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, ilduce39 said:

I was under the impression that, with Pearson healthy, we were out of space.  

Would love to learn we have space for another signing or two.  Suter on a 1 year deal to push Bleuger to 4C would be fantastic. 

We can sign as many guys as we want (keeping the 50 contract limit in mind) at/near league min. Just means another player gets demoted to Abby. Cap in - cap out.

• Cheers 3

9 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I think we're done to be honest, we could start the season with this lineup and probably be a fringe-playoff team carried by our stars. We have a bit of decent depth now and plugged the main holes. Not with top-end guys but decent depth guys from deep teams who had to shed their lower guys. We've done this before - moves for Poolman, Dickinson, Studnicka, Bear etc. who have been forced to play bigger minutes and never really succeeded, but I think Cole will be fine and Soucy may be alright, but may need to drop his minutes.

My concern is still LD. Hughes is going to be worked hard again. I think Cole will play RD with Hughes, leaving our 2nd LD as Soucy who was basically Seattle's bottom pairing guy last year and rarely played over 20 minutes. I think his average ice time was 16 minutes. Finally at 3LD we've got...Hirose or Rathbone, so you know their minutes will be low. We could throw Cole at 2LD, he's closer to 20 minutes a night, but then Soucy will have to play RD with Hughes. I think they might get swapped around a lot during the season. Whoever is at 2LD needs to play big shutdown minutes with Hronek and take some minutes off Hughes. Obviously both are great penalty killers so Hughes won't have to do much of that. My concern is that Tocchet might not play the 3LD very much - Rathbone or Hirose may only get 12-15 minutes a night. If that's the case, and our 2LD plays 20 minutes, Hughes is in for 25 minutes a night minimum.

A lot of how our next season plays out depends on how Soucy and Cole perform. They're improvements on OEL for sure, but are they enough to take away pressure from Hughes? I'd like to think so. Tocchet, Foote and Gonchar have a lot of options next year.

To your point, which is exactly correct, I think the most likely way we can fix it is by squeezing in Bear at 1.5m or something 

it could be done if we carry a 21 man roster 

12 forwards/7 defensemen/2 goalies 

14 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

To your point, which is exactly correct, I think the most likely way we can fix it is by squeezing in Bear at 1.5m or something 

it could be done if we carry a 21 man roster 

12 forwards/7 defensemen/2 goalies 

I'm hoping they've already talked to him/his agent... Keep supporting him through rehab etc, even without contract. Then when either injury and/or a Myers trade opens a roster spot and cap, and Bear is also ready to come back, sign him to a cheap one year.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

31 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trade for Pesce.

I agree; any big move we make needs to be a long term answer in the Top4. Pesce fits that mold; 28 yo and a potential long term fit with Hughes. IF you acquire him, it just becomes a matter of looking at the long term partner for Hronek once Myers $ is off the book next season. Judging by contracts handed to Graves, Mayfield, etc…..it will be easily doable next offseason even with extension to others.

The big question; what would it take to get Pesce here?

Edited by BC_Hawk

Just now, aGENT said:

I'm hoping they've already talked to him/his agent... Keep supporting him through rehab etc, even without contract. Then when either injury and/or a Myers trade opens a roster spot and cap, and Bear is also ready to come back, sign him to a cheap one year.

Even sign him now for 1.125m that can be buried in the AHL if need be while he rehabs. His options are kinda limited this year…other than signing a 1/2 contract after he is game ready in Jan with a contender. If I was Bear, I’d sign the cheap contract with Canucks and rehab in a familiar env while get paid.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

I agree; any big move we make needs to be a long term answer in the Top4. Pesce fits that mold; 28 yo and a potential long term fit with Hughes. IF you acquire him, it just becomes a matter of looking at the long term partner for Hronek once Myers $ is off the book next season. Judging by contracts handed to Graves, Mayfield, etc…..it will be easily doable next offseason even with extension to others.

The big question; what would it take to get Pesce here?

For a not extended (ie: cheaper to acquire) Pesce...? Garland + Rathbone + pick... Maybe plus another prospect?

4 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

Even sign him now for 1.125m that can be buried in the AHL if need be while he rehabs. His options are kinda limited this year…other than signing a 1/2 contract after he is game ready in Jan with a contender. If I was Bear, I’d sign the cheap contract with Canucks and rehab in a familiar env while get paid.

That works too... But then it's another LTIR guy I guess... 

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Trade for Pesce.

Well 1 guy is a free agent and the other guy costs at least a first round pick and a top prospect while only being signed for 1 more season and probably looking for 6.5+ million a season on a long term deal. Pesce would be amazing but I don’t see that as very realistic for us unless management is okay with getting rid of our 2024 1rst and Lekkermaki for potentially 1 season of Pesce.

Edited by flickyoursedin

Interesting graphic comparing defence personnel changes around the league:

Canucks ranked 2nd in “net value added” and first in “net surplus added.”

Basically, this means that Vancouver improved the value of the players on their defence by $4.7M, which is the second largest gain in the league.

And they improved the surplus value (or contract efficiency) of the defence by $8.06M, which was best in the NHL.

It’s going to be interesting to see how the final roster for the defence looks on the various models, but I suspect that, for the first time in many years, we might have a defence that rates fairly well in both overall player value (ie: quality of personnel) and surplus value (ie: efficiency of contracts).

Or to put it another way: instead of continually overpaying for underperformance, we might now be moving toward a having a defence that actually outperforms their salaries and stacks up pretty well against the good teams.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1