The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

6 hours ago, R3aL said:

Yea if they sign depth guys 1 million dollar tickets for sure. Camp competition and depth is great. I like the idea of adding any of those guys to the mix not sure why Grady thinks it would be a problem.

I didn’t read it as a problem, but more a statement of fact that if you add these guys you need to move out cap by trading a current winger.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

I didn’t read it as a problem, but more a statement of fact that if you add these guys you need to move out cap by trading a current winger.

That's the near impossible part. I hope I'm wrong but I don't see a market for any of our available wingers. 

14 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Guys like Aman, Studnicka, Dries, PDG, and Joshua are not locks on this team.

If management isn’t looking to upgrade these guys then they’re not doing their job.

I would be happy with a whole new bottom 6 to be honest…

Heinen Suter Podkolzin

Comtois Blueger Joshua

Would like to see a better upgrade on 3C but on the cheap that’s a very versatile bottom 6 with more size and pk ability.

Agreed, I hope Studnicka or Dries are in this team's starting lineup. I'd like to give Podkolzin and Hoglander a decent chance at cracking the team though so wouldn't be too happy about signing another winger, but we could always use a center like Puis Suter or maybe Sundqvist, and throw Aman on the 4th line wing. Leave bottom-6 center responsibilities to Bleuger and Suter but Aman can jump in every now and then. Comtois is a big body but honestly we don't need anymore wingers.  

That 2nd line winger spot will be hotly contested by pretty much everyone but the best winger will get it, whether it's PDG for the grit or Hogz/Podz if they step up, or Garland/Beau.

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson is an RFA after this next season.  I don't trust the Habs.

Do you think they'll offer sheet Petey?

I came across this French article (below), but I don't read or speak the language, I think this might be about that?

https://hockey30.com/nouvelles/elias-pettersson-la-priorite-du-canadien-de-montreal/

Basically, EP wants to win ASAP and him staying in Vancouver depends on how the team is doing, so no contract talks till the Fall. Ya, they want him. 

2 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Pettersson is an RFA after this next season.  I don't trust the Habs.

Do you think they'll offer sheet Petey?

I came across this French article (below), but I don't read or speak the language, I think this might be about that?

https://hockey30.com/nouvelles/elias-pettersson-la-priorite-du-canadien-de-montreal/

Up to 10.5 million, an offer sheet would give the canucks 2 firsts, a second and a third; Canucks would match that offer. Anything higher, yields 4 firsts.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DeNiro said:

Guys like Aman, Studnicka, Dries, PDG, and Joshua are not locks on this team.

If management isn’t looking to upgrade these guys then they’re not doing their job.

I would be happy with a whole new bottom 6 to be honest…

Heinen Suter Podkolzin

Comtois Blueger Joshua

Would like to see a better upgrade on 3C but on the cheap that’s a very versatile bottom 6 with more size and pk ability.

No to comtois until the team canada sex Scandal gets figured out .. don't need that bullsh!t on the team

• Like 1

On 7/5/2023 at 4:36 PM, aGENT said:

Next year have to think that one of Hirose/D-Petey/Jurmo is hopefully good enough for a more permanent 3LD role...maybe Johansen or Woo for 3RD next year and eventually flip Soucy to 3LD in 3 years after a Hirose/D-Petey/Jurmo passes him.

23-24:

Hughes, Pesce

Cole, Hronek

Soucy, Myers/Bear

24-25:

Hughes, Pesce

Soucy, Hronek

Hirose/D-Petey/Jurmo, Woo/Johansen

25-26:

Hughes, Pesce

Hirose/D-Petey/Jurmo, Hronek

Soucy, Willander

That’s exactly my thought. If we could sign Pesce to a 4 year deal, it’s ideal.

11 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Do we? Can’t they just get moved down to the ahl? 

1 hour ago, R3aL said:

Do we? Can’t they just get moved down to the ahl? 

Players we might want to trade (Garland, Beau, Boeser) are probably able to be claimed off waivers (so we lose them for nothing). Also:

Any player on an AHL roster with an AAV of over $1.075 million and on a one-way contract will be counted towards the cap as well. 

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Players we might want to trade (Garland, Beau, Boeser) are probably able to be claimed off waivers (so we lose them for nothing). Also:

Any player on an AHL roster with an AAV of over $1.075 million and on a one-way contract will be counted towards the cap as well. 

We talking league min and players under that though

On 7/6/2023 at 6:55 AM, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Pesce is a massive trade piece right now because Carolina doesn't have the cap to make his extension work, and they have been on record saying that they don't want people to walk to FA (Pesce is a 2024 UFA), and would rather get pieces for him, not at the TDL as a rental. 

Ok but im not  sure that makes him a Canuck Prospect. We would have to trade to get him and what would the Canes want in return? Certainly not our bargain bin of forwards or Myers at the cap hit. They can get a better return elsewhere.

On 7/6/2023 at 7:36 AM, aGENT said:

Loving those names!

Suter is pretty darn good, underrated player. I'd be stoked with that bottom 6.

Yeah extended, probably a first, prospect etc.

I might risk not extending him pre-trade for the lower acquisition costs personally. Playing with Hughes for a season, under Gonchar and Foote, for a management team that WANTS to extend you, should be a pretty good sales pitch. We'd also need to move Garland in a seperate deal to clear cap.

I HOPE he comes to the Canucks as he's a perfect fit for what we need.

He's widely rumored to be available and apparently has submitted his 15 team list. They're moving him.

It doesnt mean we are on his 15 team list or whichever way that is worded.  There are most likely better returns for the canes elsewhere. Instead of taking on Boeser, Garland or Myers. we dont have the cap space

7 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

It doesnt mean we are on his 15 team list or whichever way that is worded.  There are most likely better returns for the canes elsewhere. Instead of taking on Boeser, Garland or Myers. we dont have the cap space

Move Garland in separate deal. Send futures for Pesce. Voila, cap space.

No, we may not be an option on his acceptable teams list. Correct.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Move Garland in separate deal. Send futures for Pesce. Voila, cap space.

No, we may not be an option on his acceptable teams list. Correct.

Love to see someone take on Garland but im pretty sure if that was available we would have done it already. not to crap on the idea of getting Pesce, i just dont see it happening. we are better to play out this season and let Myers walk to create the cap space we need. look at next seasons FA crop.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Love to see someone take on Garland but im pretty sure if that was available we would have done it already. not to crap on the idea of getting Pesce, i just dont see it happening. we are better to play out this season and let Myers walk to create the cap space we need. look at next seasons FA crop.

I think if someone was willing to do it easily and cheaply it would be done by now. Only way that changes, from either side, is time. That's why it hasn't been done yet.

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think if someone was willing to do it easily and cheaply it would be done by now. Only way that changes, from either side, is time. That's why it hasn't been done yet.

I agree. it looks to me like we are going into this season with the current roster unless Myers is moved , just hopefully not for Lebanc

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

I agree. it looks to me like we are going into this season with the current roster unless Myers is moved , just hopefully not for Lebanc

Pretty sure that ship sailed with the OEL buyout and the buyout window closing.

• Cheers 1

On 7/6/2023 at 9:17 PM, steviewonder20 said:

Well, wouldn’t we get cap space at least if they were claimed?