The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks Development Camp

58 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

All the Hughes kids were taught to skate by their mom.  And they're all phenomenal skaters.  

Nobody does edgework better than figure skaters. Something else that figure skaters know is that it is more efficient skating backwards than forward and that it is faster to gerate speed going backwards:

"Skating backwards also helps with balance and stability because it keeps the body in a straight line. Backward motion also allows for faster turns and spins because it takes less time to complete them than if you were skating forwards. Finally, by skating backwards, you can use your weight more efficiently which leads to greater speeds overall."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Simashev and Reinbacher must be unbelievable to be better than this guy.

The thing is those two aren’t better than Willander. Habs and Coyotes both took big risks on their picks. Our guy is clearly the best. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I wonder if that's an omen of some future year yet to come.

This year at camp.

Next year in Abby.

Following year taking turns on the big team.

Following year on the big team.

Following year pushing for the top four.

Dare to dream.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Ignorant people on Twitter making sexist comments about this. Ugh. :mad:

LaCombe is a respected, up and coming skating and skills coach in the hockey world. And she’s also an accomplished former player. She’s worked with NHL players, including some big names (like Bobby Ryan). Having her at this camp is a good get for the organization. She knows her stuff and she’ll help these young players.

Kudos to the Canucks for bringing her in as a guest coach.

On 7/3/2023 at 12:03 PM, VforVasili said:

Honestly that truly disgusts me. It’s insane. Like all the morons commenting on “Alvin and his Chipettes” or whatever. I for one am thrilled that we are getting access to some of the best minds in hockey by being a bit more open minded ourselves. Keep it coming. 

On 7/3/2023 at 2:29 PM, spook007 said:

Spot on Sid.

Ignorant is the key word here... 

The Canucks deserve a lot of credit, for being innovative and getting a skating coach in to help their prospects become even better skaters if possible...

Whether its a male, female or big foot Henderson is totally irrelevant.

Bo Horvat improved his skating massively after getting help from a coach. If the prospects can improve even just slightly, its a massive win for them and the organisation.

When I was 16 and playing Midget Rep in Prince George, our coach convinced our minor hockey association to bring Laura Stamm in for for a weekend session. We were all a bit skeptical at first (remember, this was late 70's) but that didn't last long.

It was hard to tell at the time, but as the season wore on, it was obvious that it helped us big time.

Edited by RUPERTKBD
  • Like 3
  • Vintage 1