The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2023 Canucks Development Camp

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

The Canucks have accumulated depth for the first-time in a long time.  Sasson might be more NHL ready but he doesn't have a lot of upside.  The Russian is a good prospect but he needs more time. 

We got to see Raty and Sasson in the AHL playoffs. Sasson was the more impressive - granted a limited set.

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Who are the Canucks top 10 prospects? Not including Hoglander and Podkolzin my 10

Willander

Silovs

Lekkerimaki

DPetey

Raty

Zlodeyev

Hunter B

Johansson

Klimovich

Jurmo

Honorable mentions

Neilson

Bains

Forsell

Bloom

Woo

McDonough 

Willander

Hirose

Lekkerimaki

Silovs

Rathbone

Raty

McDonough

Pettersson

Woo

Klimovich

• elephant 1

2 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Who are the Canucks top 10 prospects? Not including Hoglander and Podkolzin my 10

Willander

Silovs

Lekkerimaki

DPetey

Raty

Zlodeyev

Hunter B

Johansson

Klimovich

Jurmo

Honorable mentions

Neilson

Bains

Forsell

Bloom

Woo

McDonough 

Tier 1:

Willander

Podkolzin

Hoglander

Silovs

D Petey

Tier 2:

Lekkerimaki

Hirose

Kudryavtsev

Brzustewicz

Forsell

Tier 3:

Johansson

Woo

Karlsson

Nielsen

Bains

Klimovich

McDonough

Jurmo

McWard

Bloom

Tolopilo

Tier 4:

Truscott

Mynio

Celebrini

Sasson

Gardner

Koskenvuo

Young

Gabrielsson

Plasek

Sawchenko

Zlodeyev

Unranked/No tier: Vitali Kravtsov, Ty Mueller, Jackson Kunz, Matthew Perkins, Jackson Dorrington, Jack Malone, Matthew Thiessen, Lukas Jasek, Dmitri Zhukenov, Artyum Manukyan, Victor Persson, Vilmer Alfriksson

Lots of hidden gems in every tier. Players in Tier 3 however may have the most. It would be cool to see some in that tier steal some roster spots and carve out an NHL career in the coming years.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

17 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I'm really happy he's working with our young guys. Was a big fan of his when he was here and it's great to still have him connected to the team. I like that he's working them hard and not letting them dog it. Get used to those habits...work ethic.

(Fun fact...my friend and I once were on the glass for a game and these two Swedish guys were beside us. Covered in hockey pins, it was obvious they were big fans of the game. One spoke English, the other...not a lick of it. Turned out they were fans/friends of Samuelsson's who were here from Sweden. We had a great time chatting with them/him....got our pics taken with them) 

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I'll take a shot at this. One key point is age. D-Petey, for example, turned 19 in February and has a lot of run-way left. Hirose is 24 and does not have much runway. One more year for him to adjust to the pro game (probably in Abby) and what you see is what you get. Anyway, here goes.

TIER I (A)

1. Willander. Great prospect. Absolute blue-chipper. Probably the best player at Dev Camp (certainly the best skater) despite being almost the youngest (turned 18 in Feb.)

TIER II (A-)

2. Silovs. Very impressive progress over the past two years, capped off with great performance at the IIHF world championships

3. D-Petey. Played very well in the SHL for a teenager. Good size, good skater, good physical game, strong defensively, excellent progress in the last year.

4. Lekkerimaki Disappointing start to last season with strong finish. Still needs to make up ground to justify his draft position.

TIER III (B+)

5. Raty High potential, Still young (age 20), Needs significant progress this season and could still be a good NHL 2C down the road.  .

6. Podkolzin. Looking like he might now project as a good two-way 3rd line winger That is ok, but we hoped for more. And he is not quite there yet.

7. Hoglander. Talented but needs to show more maturity in his defensive game and take fewer penalties. Good run in Abby last year. Needs a good camp..

8. Brzustewicz Great pickup in the 3rd round

9. Forsell Excellent performance for a 19-year old in the SHL last year. Steal for a 7th rounder.

10.Klimovich Excellent progress last year, impressive for a teenager in the AHL, still some rough edges but lots of potential

That is my top 10. Here are some honorable mentions. They would be in TIER IV as B prospects:

TIER IV (B)

Honorable Mentions: Tolopilo, Bloom, McWard, Hirose, Sasson, Bains, Kudryavsev,, McDonough,

Remember when McDonough and Rathbone were top 5 prospects for the Canucks. JR and PA have quietly done a great job of rebuilding the prospect pipeline despite missing draft picks. Nice to have a competent president and GM after the Benning fiasco.

Bains

Aman

Johansson

Sasson

McWard

Hirose

Tolopilo

That's 7 prospects that I would peg as mid round picks that we have added as College/Euro/Non Qualifiers in the past 2 years.  PA has been far more active in this area than most, which has gone a long way to supplement our depth in the prospect pool.  

Save for this years 2nd, and our 2026 7th, we have a full slate of draft picks for the next 3 years (also have the Devils 4th this year).  Hopefully we start acquiring some picks as opposed to sending them out.  This group seems keen on adding big mobile players, so the more the better.

I am a big fan of what Allvin is doing.

• Cheers 2

A lot of buzz around Christian Fitzgerald, I wonder if the Canucks can sign him, they have the inside lane advantage already with him being here before collage free agency opens up.  And he can play all 3 forward positions as reported by Faber.  2nd best skater behind Willander. 

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

Hughes - Hronek

Pettersson - Willander

Jurmo - Brzustewicz

Hirose - Woo

Kudryavtsev - Johansson

The D depth sure looks good (future)

Imagine a player like Jurmo after he's been cooking for a couple years 6'4 215 Lbs and skates like the wind and he's a 5.  All those bad habits coached out of him. After a while those defensive habits become second nature, becomes part of your instinct.  Someone that fast who's  a defensive nightmare and so hard to contain because of his size.  Just imagine.  

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BCNate said:

Bains

Aman

Johansson

Sasson

McWard

Hirose

Tolopilo

That's 7 prospects that I would peg as mid round picks that we have added as College/Euro/Non Qualifiers in the past 2 years.  PA has been far more active in this area than most, which has gone a long way to supplement our depth in the prospect pool.  

Save for this years 2nd, and our 2026 7th, we have a full slate of draft picks for the next 3 years (also have the Devils 4th this year).  Hopefully we start acquiring some picks as opposed to sending them out.  This group seems keen on adding big mobile players, so the more the better.

I am a big fan of what Allvin is doing.

Linus Karlsson is missing from your list too!

8 minutes ago, johngould21 said:

Linus Karlsson is missing from your list too!

We got him in a trade prior to this management group coming in.  I was trying to focus on the free assets that we have signed.  I think that these guys take away a little of the sting from trading away as many picks as we have over the past few years.

• Like 1