The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Anthem Singer Call

Rate this topic

Barnstorm

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I tend to think the product on the ice has more of a say in that.;) 

Well that goes without saying.

11 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

It wasn't just the anti-masking stance but literally every right wing-nut Freedumb convoy stance.:lol:

Well the solitary reason he was fired was for saying he would sing at an anti-masking rally. But why do you care about the politics of an anthem singer? I mean it's not like anyone is asking you to invite him into your home to discuss controversial issues of the day. Do you not believe in diversity? Live and let live?

Edited by Gassy Jack

2 hours ago, Gassy Jack said:

Well that goes without saying.

Well the solitary reason he was fired was for saying he would sing at an anti-masking rally. But why do you care about the politics of an anthem singer? I mean it's not like anyone is asking you to invite him into your home to discuss controversial issues of the day. Do you not believe in diversity? Live and let live?

1) I don't.

2) I follow the ways of Kwai Chang Caine:

On 7/28/2023 at 4:11 PM, Gassy Jack said:

I too did not appreciate his anti-masking stance. But he was our best anthem singer ever IMO and I'd love to have him back. No one ever fired up the crowd like that guy!

The last thing that guy ever did was fire up a crowd.   His whole act was beyond cringe

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

15 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

1) I don't.

2) I follow the ways of Kwai Chang Caine:

You wish! :lol:   Kwai Chang Caine would never condone saying "right wing-nut Freedumb convoy stance". When you can snatch the pebble from my hand it will be time for you to leave.

2 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

The last thing that guy ever did was fire up a crowd.   His whole act was beyond cringe

Well that's simply untrue. Clearly, every game he sang at, Donnelly had the crowd singing along and cheering wildly. Are you creating a false narrative for political reasons brother?

(@NewbieCanuckFan .. Kwai Chang Caine would have never 'liked' that post)

Edited by Gassy Jack
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

22 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

Well that's simply untrue. Clearly, every game he sang at, Donnelly had the crowd singing along and cheering wildly. Are you creating a false narrative for political reasons brother?

Anyone can hold a mic out to a crowd thats singing along anyway.  Id hardly call that firing up a crowd.  

Btw I dont need to create a political narrative.  Everyone already knows who is and isnt on the right side of history.

Firing a crowd up is what jim cornelison does.  Donnelly was cringe beyond belief.

46 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

Thing is, the crowd's fired up despite the anthem singer, not generally because of them. Don't give him too much credit...people are there to have fun and a singing pika and dog races also really fire the crowd up. I mean, when the team comes out for warm ups they get quite a reception as well. He was more recipient of that ovation/attention than creator of it. 

Donelly did his job but he was not the star of the show (like he seemingly thought)...the team on the ice was/is. If he didn't want his views/stance to be considered when he was on his own time perhaps he should've just promoted himself as himself...not as "the Canucks anthem singer". By tying them into his extra-curricular activities, he got everything he deserved. Smug, arrogant...that's how he comes across.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

You wish! :lol:   Kwai Chang Caine would never condone saying "right wing-nut Freedumb convoy stance". When you can snatch the pebble from my hand it will be time for you to leave.

And yet he took the life of another in a moment of anger.  That is not the way of a Shaolin Priest.   Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, the crowd's fired up despite the anthem singer, not generally because of them. Don't give him too much credit...people are there to have fun and a singing pika and dog races also really fire the crowd up. I mean, when the team comes out for warm ups they get quite a reception as well. He was more recipient of that ovation/attention than creator of it. 

Donelly did his job but he was not the star of the show (like he seemingly thought)...the team on the ice was/is. If he didn't want his views/stance to be considered when he was on his own time perhaps he should've just promoted himself as himself...not as "the Canucks anthem singer". By tying them into his extra-curricular activities, he got everything he deserved. Smug, arrogant...that's how he comes across.

Remember the time he decided to put on skates then fell?  I keep wondering... why the heck did he feel he needed to put on skates? 

What an ego.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

I'm certain he knew the Canuck players, not he, were "the star(s) of the show". He did not "come across as smug, arrogant" to me. I always saw him as an entertainer who completely understood his role. Perhaps he  deserved to be fired, perhaps he didn't, all I know is that I for one loved the job he did as an anthem singer. You are of course entitled to believe otherwise.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

And yet he took the life of another in a moment of anger.  That is not the way of a Shaolin Priest.   Do you hear the grasshopper which is at your feet?

"To suppress a truth is to give it force beyond endurance." - Master Kan 

Gassy Jack: “Are you creating a false narrative for political reasons brother?”

EddieVedder: “I dont need to create a political narrative.  Everyone already knows who is and isnt on the right side of history.”

Oh the irony of using a political catch phrase such as the virtue-signaling “right side of history” whilst denying one’s excessive political nature lol.