The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Anthem Singer Call

Rate this topic

Barnstorm

1 hour ago, -DLC- said:

Thing is, the crowd's fired up despite the anthem singer, not generally because of them. Don't give him too much credit...people are there to have fun and a singing pika and dog races also really fire the crowd up. I mean, when the team comes out for warm ups they get quite a reception as well. He was more recipient of that ovation/attention than creator of it. 

Donelly did his job but he was not the star of the show (like he seemingly thought)...the team on the ice was/is. If he didn't want his views/stance to be considered when he was on his own time perhaps he should've just promoted himself as himself...not as "the Canucks anthem singer". By tying them into his extra-curricular activities, he got everything he deserved. Smug, arrogant...that's how he comes across.

An alien wearing a grass skirt while juggling torches would fire up the crowd.

1 hour ago, Citizen Erased said:

He was trying to be The Shockmaster of the NHL.

Except that wasn't an NHL game. It was a Penticton Vees game. This was him at his very next NHL game:

BztlKM2IQAAJdiw?format=jpg&name=900x900

LOL, how can anyone not love this guy!

Edited by Gassy Jack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Gassy Jack said:

LOL, how can anyone not love this guy!

Very easily.

Between having the crowd do a significant part of his job, and that goofy warble, he was far from the best the Nucks have had.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

2 hours ago, Gurn said:

Between having the crowd do a significant part of his job, and that goofy warble, he was far from the best the Nucks have had.

Yeah, Mark Donnelly made the crowd do his job for him, what a slacker! :lol::lol::lol:  Personally I loved his warble and loved him, but hey to each their own.

6 minutes ago, Gurn said:

He got hired as the anthem singer, not the  choir conductor.

All indications are that his employer loved his "choir conducting". He was famously fired for insisting on singing the anthem at an anti-masking rally. Why don't you tell me the real reason you despise him? 

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Gassy Jack said:

I'm certain he knew the Canuck players, not he, were "the star(s) of the show". He did not "come across as smug, arrogant" to me. I always saw him as an entertainer who completely understood his role. Perhaps he  deserved to be fired, perhaps he didn't, all I know is that I for one loved the job he did as an anthem singer. You are of course entitled to believe otherwise.

I enjoyed the job he did as well. Everyone I watched games with felt that way too.

It's a shame seeing the amount of hate he gets, sadly much of it politically driven. It's hard for me to think of an anthem singer I don't like. Most just aren't memorable. 

• Like 2
  • Wat 1

6 minutes ago, Gassy Jack said:

All indications are that his employer loved his "choir conducting". He was famously fired for insisting on singing the anthem at an anti-masking rally. Why don't you tell me the real reason you despise him? 

I already told you.

maybe you don't know, but I've posted many times about my stereo and record collection. I am a major music fan.

I know what I like musically.

So please don't try to infer I'm lying, thanks.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

I already told you.

maybe you don't know, but I've posted many times about my stereo and record collection. I am a major music fan.

I know what I like musically.

So please don't try to infer I'm lying, thanks.

My confusion stems from the fact that where I come from, that's no reason to "despise" a man. Tell me, how many anthem singers have you despised?

1 minute ago, Gassy Jack said:

My confusion stems from the fact that where I come from, that's no reason to "despise" a man. Tell me, how many anthem singers have you despised?

Yes, you do seem confused, please show me were I said I despised him?

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yes, you do seem confused, please show me were I said I despised him?

Gassy Jack: "Why don't you tell me the real reason you despise him?"

Gurn: "I already told you."

Gassy Jack:  "LOL, how can anyone not love this guy!"

Gurn: "Very easily."

You're giving off that vibe brah...

EDIT: You also 'liked' Dazzle’s and whirledpeas and posts here: https://forum.canucks.com/topic/395277-fired-mark-donnelly/page/27/

Edited by Gassy Jack

1 hour ago, Master Mind said:

I enjoyed the job he did as well. Everyone I watched games with felt that way too.

It's a shame seeing the amount of hate he gets, sadly much of it politically driven. It's hard for me to think of an anthem singer I don't like. Most just aren't memorable. 

Funny, everyone ive watched and played hockey with were happy he got fired.  

To this day, no one can explain why a guy born and raised in surrey sang with a scottish accent. 

If that isnt cringe, i dont know what is

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Funny, everyone ive watched and played hockey with were happy he got fired.  

To this day, no one can explain why a guy born and raised in surrey sang with a scottish accent. 

If that isnt cringe, i dont know what is

Maybe knowing where an anthem singer is from, and hating him enough to be happy he was fired...