The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Anthem Singer Call

Rate this topic

Barnstorm

I forgot her name but she sang both The Star Spangled Banner and O Canada for one game late last season. I believe it was the Canucks vs the Kings but I could be mistaken. It was on a night when the Canucks were promoting autism awareness. She was absolutely incredible. She sang both anthems in their entirety to perfection in a strong baritone opera voice. The best since the late great Richard Loney. The best female voice I had listened to since Susan Smith who was the longtime Calgary Flames' anthem singer. I would LOVE to have her as our full-time anthem singer. If not her, we need an anthem singer with a strong baritone opera voice plus organ music playing along. Not celebrity singers who sound like they're singing in the shower or trying to "entertain" . Marie Hui is good but not great. Her singing should be at Whitecaps games or Canadians baseball games. 

When we had one of the very best anthem singers in sports history, the bar shouldn't be lowered.

Hot take: I don't honestly care who is the anthem singer. Elizabeth and Marie do the job just fine. It would be nice to see more diversity (not just from a racial point of view) from singers rather than just one dedicated singer. I doubt they're even paid, but they all should be.

How about also investing in having someone from one of the local three First Nations give a live welcoming / territory recognition as well, instead of cycling through those same videos at the start of each game. Those videos become the opposite of what they’re intended to be because they just cause people to tune out, like when an airplane steward starts showing you how to put on a seatbelt. Keep it live and fresh. You wouldn’t put our national anthem singer on video repeat all season.

• Cheers 2

On 7/25/2023 at 8:07 AM, grumpyone said:

bring back the opera singer.... if you haven't noticed, we've stunk up the joint ever since he was fired. 

He was the best in the league singing them  Big deep voice just amazing and set the mood...Liked listening to him for almost 20 years hasn't been the sam since.. Loved listening to humming them ..Remember when he put skates on and tripped over the rug ? 

The Best  anthem singer in the league...

• Like 1

On 7/25/2023 at 3:42 PM, tas said:

the fans should pump themselves up, that's literally their only job. 

I mean with ticket prices, concession prices, parking prices, their only job is getting to the arena after a long day's work, knowing that with most games, you're getting home really late before another long day of work. 

Something that would help with the fans' energy would be a respectable product on the ice, which we haven't had consistently in almost a decade now. 

• Cheers 1

Find some no name from the Vancouver Opera. They will probably be just as fine as anyone else. I like Marie. But I keep wondering if she likes the job as a part time gig.

I'm pretty sure they get paid. Probably not much. My friend from Toronto, his Dad was an opera singer. His Dad did the Anthems once. (That's part of the reason my friend moved to Toronto in the first place, that and he had family in the GTA). He didn't get along with his Dad, but he was very proud of that moment.

• Cheers 2

19 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Too expensive, but would be cool. Buble has more interesting creative opportunities than anthem singing I imagine. 

Yes, of course. Buble is a world class singer that loves to do the ordinary things.

On 7/25/2023 at 8:07 AM, Gurn said:

Who ever they pick, I hope they just sing the anthem, not their version of it.

don't want to listen to elongated 'runs' and 'vibrato', nor do I want to listen to someone push their voice into almost cracking.

Sing it, sing it as written and timed, sing it quick; and get off the ice.

Agree here. Prefer the tempo remain unchanged, and any personal touches be kept classy and discrete. The long vibratos (e.g. Jugpreet) are cringe for me…and make it seem like the anthem is about them vs. Canada / national pride. This isn’t your audition on a reality show.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

6 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

Agree here. Prefer the tempo remain unchanged, and any personal touches be kept classy and discrete. The long vibratos (e.g. Jugpreet) are cringe for me…and make it seem like the anthem is about them vs. Canada / national pride. This isn’t your audition on a reality show.

Exactly. 100%

• Cheers 2