The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Anthem Singer Call

Rate this topic

Barnstorm

On 8/16/2023 at 1:35 PM, Honky Cat said:

I have nothing against Richard Loney, he did a fantastic job. In 2023 however, thats not what people want to see/ hear. It was good back then. but most of the singers back then were fairly nondescript, singing note perfect renditions.

What makes you think or believe that in 2023 that people don't want to see nor hear great singers like Richard Loney, Roger Doucet(Montreal), Paul Lorieau(Edmonton) and Susan Smith(Calgary)?? Great anthem singing includes note perfect renditions. And when those legendary singers sang along to the organ playing, it added to hockey games. 

Edited by Tiger-Hearted

14 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

What makes you think or believe that in 2023 that people don't want to see nor hear great singers like Richard Loney, Roger Doucet(Montreal), Paul Lorieau(Edmonton) and Susan Smith(Calgary)?? Great anthem singing includes note perfect renditions. And when those legendary singers sang along to the organ playing, it added to hockey games. 

How about Rene Rancourt in Boston, wild, now taken over by Todd Angilly. St Louis had had Charles Glenn. They had the fans yelling wildly before the game started and then we have Vancouver ....timid

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:04 PM, Tiger-Hearted said:

Its currently just a different era of national anthem singers. The type of singers you've listed are from a bygone era (and if you liked those singers, you must have been a big Mark Donnelly fan). It looks like variety is the order of the day.

Not singing the anthems 'note perfect' isn't a punishable crime anymore, but I agree that taking too many liberties with the melodies (butchering) is annoying. 

Thats why i like Marie Hui , great pitch, good energy, and certainly not too hard on the eyes.

• Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, Honky Cat said:

Its currently just a different era of national anthem singers. The type of singers you've listed are from a bygone era (and if you liked those singers, you must have been a big Mark Donnelly fan). It looks like variety is the order of the day.

Not singing the anthems 'note perfect' isn't a punishable crime anymore, but I agree that taking too many liberties with the melodies (butchering) is annoying. 

Thats why i like Marie Hui , great pitch, good energy, and certainly not too hard on the eyes.

Donnelly was a guy from Surrey singing with a fake Scottish accent.  Beyond cringe. He was nothing like the guys Tiger mentioned.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Donnelly was a guy from Surrey singing with a fake Scottish accent.  Beyond cringe. He was nothing like the guys Tiger mentioned.  

He was in the sense he sang in a traditional manner (opera) . Not unlike famed Rene Rancourt from Boston.

Edited by Honky Cat
  • Cheers 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:21 PM, Honky Cat said:

I'll take the bygone era any day. When hockey and hockey's atmosphere was real, genuine and less commercialized and corporate.

Edited by Tiger-Hearted
  • Cheers 1