Canucks Community

NHL Hockey Trivia Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

On 9/5/2023 at 12:20 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

So:

Gretzky    Matthews

Coffey    Orr

Lundqvist 

Meh, I think my team still wins, even without the goalie.  :)

Edit:  Your team is not approved. You need a player that has only played for one team. So you would need to take out either Gretzky or Coffey. Bourque doesn’t fit the requirement either. I guess you could go with McDavid like I did.  Oh wait, you could go with Mario. 

Lol.  I did have a bit of a harder time with this than I thought.  My first thought was what goalie am I going to take and why is it only five players?    Then screwed it up.  

Swedish players I considered, Lidstrom, Salming, Forsberg.  

70's without Orr would be really hard.   You can use Potvin, Gretzky, Borque and  Bossy in those ones. 

Yes I used Mario for only one team. 

And Yes I didn't like taking Mathews. 

The other team I considered was this:

Gretzky Mario

Lidstrom Orr

Sheshterkin 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

On 9/4/2023 at 1:38 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Lemieux Gretzky Matthews

Lidstrom Orr

I think that's the final answer, cause how do you beat that? 

Maybe McDavid subs in for Lemieux for 1 organization? Don't think so.

Maybe Kane (prime) or Pastrnak sub in for Matthews for Original 6? Maybe Pastrnak scores more or Kane has more playoff success, but Matthews is a legit 2-way player.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

Lemieux Gretzky Matthews

Lidstrom Orr

I think that's the final answer, cause how do you beat that? 

Maybe McDavid subs in for Lemieux for 1 organization? Don't think so.

Maybe Kane (prime) or Pastrnak sub in for Matthews for Original 6? Maybe Pastrnak scores more or Kane has more playoff success, but Matthews is a legit 2-way player.

My thought process was look at who the best players currently playing for Original 6 franchises are. So basically a choice of Matthews vs Marner vs Pastrnak vs Fox vs McAvoy vs Panarin (ignoring goalies).

Then there's the choice of best Swedish player in history. Probably comes down to Lidstrom vs Forsberg with some consideration to Salming and maybe Kent Nilsson.

Gretzky and Orr are locks, and Lemieux probably should be (unless you feel what McDavid is doing is more impressive). I think Lidstrom and Forsberg are both better than the current Original 6 options, so you can just decide which Original 6 option is the least downgrade and then pick the other Swede.

• Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, Diamonds said:

My thought process was look at who the best players currently playing for Original 6 franchises are. So basically a choice of Matthews vs Marner vs Pastrnak vs Fox vs McAvoy vs Panarin (ignoring goalies).

Then there's the choice of best Swedish player in history. Probably comes down to Lidstrom vs Forsberg with some consideration to Salming and maybe Kent Nilsson.

Gretzky and Orr are locks, and Lemieux probably should be (unless you feel what McDavid is doing is more impressive). I think Lidstrom and Forsberg are both better than the current Original 6 options, so you can just decide which Original 6 option is the least downgrade and then pick the other Swede.

Agreed on Original 6 - I just think that you're expecting Gretzky, Orr, etc to be in their prime, so a current player could also be in their prime which legitimately puts Patrick Kane into the discussion (he was insanely dominant with Kesler in that one Olympics) even though I still opted with Matthews.

Agreed also on Swedish - I just remember as a kid reading the Hockey News and one year they called Lidstrom the league's best Defensive Defenceman, then in the next category he also won for the league's best Offensive Defenceman. So him and Orr have got to be the best D pairing in history.

I'd rather have Lidstrom than Fox, and the downgrade in Matthews is essentially a throw-away that can still play 2-way hockey while scoring 60 goals (even before Gretzky is passing to him!).

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Putgolzin said:

Agreed on Original 6 - I just think that you're expecting Gretzky, Orr, etc to be in their prime, so a current player could also be in their prime which legitimately puts Patrick Kane into the discussion (he was insanely dominant with Kesler in that one Olympics) even though I still opted with Matthews.

Agreed also on Swedish - I just remember as a kid reading the Hockey News and one year they called Lidstrom the league's best Defensive Defenceman, then in the next category he also won for the league's best Offensive Defenceman. So him and Orr have got to be the best D pairing in history.

I'd rather have Lidstrom than Fox, and the downgrade in Matthews is essentially a throw-away that can still play 2-way hockey while scoring 60 goals (even before Gretzky is passing to him!).

I didn't consider Kane because he's not currently under contract. But otherwise I pretty much agree with everything you've said.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

Must have been from the 2000's.   Who was he going up against, Rafalski?   Or Phanuef?   Maybe   Niedermayer.  Only time Lidstrom was a PPG, was at 35, year after the lockout and rule changes,  scored 80 in 80.   There is a pretty long list of guys who scored at a higher clip over their careers.   He's 18th behind Gary Suter.    Erik Karlsson is currently 8th.     Yes he scored a lot of career points, he also played the 6th most games all-time.   Orr is so ahead of everyone else it's not even close, although Coffey did pace him in same games played.    Borque wouldn't be a bad pick either, can use him for goals and Orr for 70's.    Defensively and physically Robinson >>  offensively close.    

Lidstrom is a lock for Swedish player, unless you need a goalie.   Then Lundqvist.    But for sure you could make better pairings without rules as well.  Borque/Potvin for sure.   Robinson, Al Mac, Coffey.  Maybe Harvey all worthy of consideration.     Lidstrom couldn't win until the old guard retired.   Just had Neidermayer and Pronger left.   Not really the same.    Lidstrom did everything well, but nothing at the highest  levels, and hard hitting wasn't part of his game.    Potvin could crush you, take the puck and score.  Same with Orr and Borque (who was 230 at the latter part of his career, and thick when he started). 

Borque was better than Lidstrom.  13 first, six second all-star team berths.   For 18 of his 22 seasons considered a top 1-4 D against a lot stiffer competition.  Never lower than 7th in Norris voting, and those were some bad Boston teams, why he went to COL.    Then second in Norris his final season...Potvin,  19 consecutive playoff series forced him into retirement at 34,  Bossy followed suit, was also tough on him.   Gretzky said Potvin was the scariest player he ever played against.   Would never go down his side, was either going to get creamed or stripped of the puck and then they'd go down and score.  Nobody feared for their well-being going in against Lidstrom other than getting embarrassed maybe.   Konstantinov was scary. 

Agree THN probably likely said that more than once.   Lidstrom was just the best of what was left.  Rafalski was second in D scoring in the 2000's.   Yikes. 

Took Lidstrom 504 games, to score 90 more points than Potvin. Potvin scored 310 goals ... 46 more in 504 less games.    He was a monster.   The best player on one of the greatest teams ever. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Must have been from the 2000's.   Who was he going up against, Rafalski?   Or Phanuef?   Maybe   Niedermayer.  Only time Lidstrom was a PPG, was at 35, year after the lockout and rule changes,  scored 80 in 80.   There is a pretty long list of guys who scored at a higher clip over their careers.   He's 18th behind Gary Suter.    Erik Karlsson is currently 8th.     Yes he scored a lot of career points, he also played the 6th most games all-time.   Orr is so ahead of everyone else it's not even close, although Coffey did pace him in same games played.    Borque wouldn't be a bad pick either, can use him for goals and Orr for 70's.    Defensively and physically Robinson >>  offensively close.    

Lidstrom is a lock for Swedish player, unless you need a goalie.   Then Lundqvist.    But for sure you could make better pairings without rules as well.  Borque/Potvin for sure.   Robinson, Al Mac, Coffey.  Maybe Harvey all worthy of consideration.     Lidstrom couldn't win until the old guard retired.   Just had Neidermayer and Pronger left.   Not really the same.    Lidstrom did everything well, but nothing at the highest  levels, and hard hitting wasn't part of his game.    Potvin could crush you, take the puck and score.  Same with Orr and Borque (who was 230 at the latter part of his career, and thick when he started). 

Borque was better than Lidstrom.  13 first, six second all-star team berths.   For 18 of his 22 seasons considered a top 1-4 D against a lot stiffer competition.  Never lower than 7th in Norris voting, and those were some bad Boston teams, why he went to COL.    Then second in Norris his final season...Potvin,  19 consecutive playoff series forced him into retirement at 34,  Bossy followed suit, was also tough on him.   Gretzky said Potvin was the scariest player he ever played against.   Would never go down his side, was either going to get creamed or stripped of the puck and then they'd go down and score.  Nobody feared for their well-being going in against Lidstrom other than getting embarrassed maybe.   Konstantinov was scary. 

Agree THN probably likely said that more than once.   Lidstrom was just the best of what was left.  Rafalski was second in D scoring in the 2000's.   Yikes. 

Took Lidstrom 504 games, to score 90 more points than Potvin. Potvin scored 310 goals ... 46 more in 504 less games.    He was a monster.   The best player on one of the greatest teams ever. 

No question that Orr is a lock.

And Lidstrom the lock for Swedish player as you've said. Like Matthews from my list, he's the throw-away because I want someone steady with Orr. If I choose Borque or Coffey or Potvin I don't get to use 300 Goals on Gretzky ( and I don't really need another offense-first Dman).

I'm pretty comfortable with Matthews and Lidstrom as my throwaways when they're playing with Gretzky, Mario and Orr.

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2023 at 1:38 PM, Elias Pettersson said:

Now to make it more interesting, how about only with Canucks?

Bonino (Original 6)  -  Pettersson (Swedish born)   -   Bure (300 goals)

Hughes (One organization)   -    Snepsts (Played in the 70's)

Some nice players available at every spot, except Original 6 is a tough one. I could only find Dickinson and Rafferty besides Bonino.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Putgolzin said:

No question that Orr is a lock.

And Lidstrom the lock for Swedish player as you've said. Like Matthews from my list, he's the throw-away because I want someone steady with Orr. If I choose Borque or Coffey or Potvin I don't get to use 300 Goals on Gretzky ( and I don't really need another offense-first Dman).

I'm pretty comfortable with Matthews and Lidstrom as my throwaways when they're playing with Gretzky, Mario and Orr.

We came up with pretty much the exact same thing.   

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Putgolzin said:

Now to make it more interesting, how about only with Canucks?

Bonino (Original 6)  -  Pettersson (Swedish born)   -   Bure (300 goals)

Hughes (One organization)   -    Snepsts (Played in the 70's)

Some nice players available at every spot, except Original 6 is a tough one. I could only find Dickinson and Rafferty besides Bonino.

Bonino never played for an original 6 team. However, both Bure and Naslund played for the Rangers. Linden also played for Montreal. So I’d go:

Naslund    Pettersson    Bure 

Hughes    Snepsts 

We don’t have many stars from the 70’s, especially on defence. Snepsts was one of my favourites though. 

19 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Bonino never played for an original 6 team. However, both Bure and Naslund played for the Rangers. Linden also played for Montreal. So I’d go:

Naslund    Pettersson    Bure 

Hughes    Snepsts 

We don’t have many stars from the 70’s, especially on defence. Snepsts was one of my favourites though. 

Yes, Naslund would be a big upgrade on Bonino!

Unfortunately, the rule is it has to be someone currently playing for an Original 6. Bonino signed with the Rangers in free agency, and is one of only two actual hockey players I could find (Dickinson being the other and Brogan Rafferty being a third).

I guess Kearns was sort of a 70's Hughes, but that's before my time and I don't remember him. 

Kearns Ohlund could be good on D. Then Pettersson or Henrik could still be One Org rather than the Swedish requirement.

I think I'd prefer Hughes Snepsts though.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Your team is not approved. Must have a current player who plays for an original 6 team.  Who is #5?

Potvin.   Because he's making the best all-time team and ignoring the rules.   Ha ha sorry Sweden!

Edited by IBatch
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Potvin.   Because he's making the best all-time team and ignoring the rules.   Ha ha sorry Sweden!

Haha, I guess you could have Howe (1970's), Gretzky (300 goals) and Mario (one team).  Problem is you can't have Orr or Potvin then.  So you'd have to go with Lidstrom (Swede) and Fox (original 6).

Gretzky    Lemieux   Howe

Lidstrom   Fox

Not a bad team, but you just can't take out Orr IMO...

• Vintage 1