The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NHL Hockey Trivia Discussion Thread

Rate this topic

16 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'll start off.  Name the 3 goalies that played from 1968 to 2023, but never played together in the same year...

Have fun...   :)

Tony Esposito, Patrick Roy, Marc-Andre Fleury?

Hopeful, as this one stumped me all afternoon ;)

• Cheers 1

11 minutes ago, Harvey Specter said:

Tony Esposito, Patrick Roy, Marc-Andre Fleury?

Hopeful, as this one stumped me all afternoon ;)

BINGO!!  We have a winner!!  :)

Tony Esposito played from 1968-1969 until 1983-1984. Patrick Roy played from 1984-1985 until 2002-2003. Marc-Andre Fleury played from 2003-2004 until 2022-2023. And is still playing today. 

3 goalies spanning 55 years of continuous hockey while never playing in the same year.  And still going. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

What player went on to have more first team all-star selections, then the player he was traded for, goals scored?  And how many. 

I'm thinking Markus Naslund and Alek Stojanov...  3 to 2.

Although it gets pretty easy with goalies...  Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft, etc.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I'm thinking Markus Naslund and Alek Stojanov...  3 to 2.

Although it gets pretty easy with goalies...  Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft, etc.

Yep!  As far as I know, Naslund leads the all-time Canucks with 3, and did that in 3 consecutive years...dead puck era stuff too.   He did that ages 28,29,30... 

Edited by IBatch
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yep!  As far as I know, Naslund leads the all-time Canucks with 3, and did that in 3 consecutive years...dead puck era stuff too.   He did that ages 28,29,30... 

Yeah that's why I personally don't consider Naslund a completely dead case for the Hall of Fame.

869 points in the dead puck era.  You know if he had 1000 points to go with three 1st team all star berths he's probably in the Hall with no questions asked.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah that's why I personally don't consider Naslund a completely dead case for the Hall of Fame.

869 points in the dead puck era.  You know if he had 1000 points to go with three 1st team all star berths he's probably in the Hall with no questions asked.

For sure.   It's too bad he couldn't keep it up after the lockout into his mid 30's, and more so that the Sedins didn't peak early while they were doing the West Coast Express... even Clouiter could of got a final run in there if that was the case.    After 32 he was pretty much done.    Naslund was a fabulous player for us.  Know this will be unpopular,  but he gave Mark Messier a lot of credit for becoming the player he became,  makes up for some of it, especially considering Linden came back.    

• Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, IBatch said:

For sure.   It's too bad he couldn't keep it up after the lockout into his mid 30's, and more so that the Sedins didn't peak early while they were doing the West Coast Express... even Clouiter could of got a final run in there if that was the case.    After 32 he was pretty much done.    Naslund was a fabulous player for us.  Know this will be unpopular,  but he gave Mark Messier a lot of credit for becoming the player he became,  makes up for some of it, especially considering Linden came back.    

I mean...I don't want to call Markus Naslund a liar but maybe he's just being diplomatic.  What could he have really learned from that version of Messier.  And Naslund wasn't exactly the captain of playoff style teams so maybe he learned bad stuff from Messier.  I could see Naslund improving his wrist shot if Messier spent some time with him.  In the end they were both respected in that regard.

I think Naslund had a couple respectable seasons left in him when he retired.  He still had at least a year on his contract.  He just didn't have the fire to continue and I don't think I would have ever called him a particularly fiery player.

Could Cloutier have held it together well enough to get to the final if the Sedins had been the Sedins during the WCE days?  Hmmmm...  Maybe.  The guy seemed to fall apart to the demands of the situation though.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Cheers 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

You gotta put the greatest puck distributor ever in the middle. McD can fly down the wings.

Solid lineup though hard to make one better than that.

Gretzky played on the wing with Mario Lemieux.  McDavid would be my centre because he would be carrying the puck up the ice, leaving Gretzky free to roam around through the neutral zone.  Once everyone is converging on McDavid he would pass the puck to Gretzky and Gretzky would carry it into the offensive zone, looking for an open Pastrnak or a trailing Orr.

The wild card though would be Bobby Orr.  He could also carry the puck up the ice and through the neutral zone.  This would leave Gretzky virtually unmarked the whole time as the opposition would have to focus on McDavid and Orr.  Gretzky unmarked would be more dangerous than a Grizzly bear in your backyard who hasn't eaten in 6 months...

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gretzky played on the wing with Mario Lemieux.  McDavid would be my centre because he would be carrying the puck up the ice, leaving Gretzky free to roam around through the neutral zone.  Once everyone is converging on McDavid he would pass the puck to Gretzky and Gretzky would carry it into the offensive zone, looking for an open Pastrnak or a trailing Orr.

The wild card though would be Bobby Orr.  He could also carry the puck up the ice and through the neutral zone.  This would leave Gretzky virtually unmarked the whole time as the opposition would have to focus on McDavid and Orr.  Gretzky unmarked would be more dangerous than a Grizzly bear in your backyard who hasn't eaten in 6 months...

It would be like Gretzky had Sauron's ring.

• There it is 1

18 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Wayne Gretzky    Connor McDavid    David Pastrnak

Nicklas Lidstrom     Bobby Orr

Even without a goalie, that line likely wins lol.

Wayne Gretzky  Mario (Mathews)

Coffey  Orr  (there is your extra super-star forward, plus some nasty..Borque was tempting though,  so was Howe) 

Lundqvist 

Just have to go with the 3 GOATs.   Coffey and Orr would be too fun to watch together, same with Borque and Orr. 

Edit: Crap see I need a current player.   So take out Mario (ugh) and insert Mathews (double ugh). 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, IBatch said:

Even without a goalie, that line likely wins lol.

Wayne Gretzky  Mario (Mathews)

Coffey  Orr  (there is your extra super-star forward, plus some nasty..Borque was tempting though,  so was Howe) 

Lundqvist 

Just have to go with the 3 GOATs.   Coffey and Orr would be too fun to watch together, same with Borque and Orr. 

Edit: Crap see I need a current player.   So take out Mario (ugh) and insert Mathews (double ugh). 

So:

Gretzky    Matthews

Coffey    Orr

Lundqvist 

Meh, I think my team still wins, even without the goalie.  :)

Edit:  Your team is not approved. You need a player that has only played for one team. So you would need to take out either Gretzky or Coffey. Bourque doesn’t fit the requirement either. I guess you could go with McDavid like I did.  Oh wait, you could go with Mario. 

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Cheers 1

On 9/4/2023 at 10:53 AM, Elias Pettersson said:

Wayne Gretzky    Connor McDavid    David Pastrnak

Nicklas Lidstrom     Bobby Orr

Could also do something like

Gretzky - Lemieux - Forsberg 

Orr - Fox

Edit: you could also go with a fun physically dominant lineup and do

Howe - Lemieux - Lindros

Salming - Trouba 

Edited by Diamonds