The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] RT calls out ownership for no practice facility

Rate this topic

grandmaster

Training facilities cost a lot of money and take up a lot of land.

A NHL sized hockey rink is 17000 sq ft and training facilities usually have two. Add in a gym, parking, kitchen, medical, lounging, offices, etc... 

They tend to get big. 

To put this into perspective the Hurricanes training facility, is 115,000 sq ft(2.64 acres). The Blackhawks spent 65M on their training facility(being built) and it will be 135,000 sq ft(3.01 acres). These are just the buildings.

Now remember we live in Vancouver. Land like that is gonna be hella pricey as will the building costs and very hard to find. Unless they plan to build it way outside the downtown core. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 4

4 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

Did we really need a new thread for this?  This was taken out of the sportsnet q&a article, which Arrogant Worm already posted.

This part doesn't really throw the organization under the bus.

I can't be disappointed players were not here in mid-August because they probably had a facility or something where they were. We're working on that as an organization. We want players to stay and train under our umbrella, under our roof. The best teams do that.

Yes we do because of how it has impacted the team throughout the years and continues to still plague us. 

We are the few that do not have a dedicated practice facility and is one of the more likely reasons why we are continuing to have slow starts. The last 2 seasons have just gotten worse. 

You can get all these players to buy in and be in better shape all you want but game shape is different. 

If this organization wants to become successful, things like this matter.

We look like a joke of a franchise right now.

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

This is absolutely disgusting. We’ve had so many issues with slow starts killing our last couple seasons and now this? 

I’m so angry right now!

Angry Bruce Banner GIF by Xbox

This practice facility should have been dealt with decades ago, there’s a few ownership groups to blame for this and it needs to be a priority yesterday. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

Yes we do because of how it has impacted the team throughout the years and continues to still plague us. 

We are the few that do not have a dedicated practice facility and is one of the more likely reasons why we are continuing to have slow starts. The last 2 seasons have just gotten worse. 

You can get all these players to buy in and be in better shape all you want but game shape is different. 

If this organization wants to become successful, things like this matter.

We look like a joke of a franchise right now.

We don't need a new thread for this, you could have put this under the real article is what I'm getting at.

• There it is 1

Just now, Viper007 said:

We don't need a new thread for this, you could have put this under the real article is what I'm getting at.

This was an article that came out today to which I copied and pasted from.

It really is an important issue and doesn’t need to be buried. 

30 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Suburbs? With our traffic? Are you nuts?

Listen to AM730 there's at least 3-6 crashes in Surrey every day.

Usually at busy intersections.

I get the appeal of cheaper, possibly easier to find zoning real estate.

But what's the point of a practice facility if players are spending 90 minutes each way, to/from the facility, just to get there.

It’s closer to 10 every day. That’s what happens when driving instructors take bribes.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

This was an article that came out today to which I copied and pasted from.

It really is an important issue and doesn’t need to be buried. 

The article you posted conveniently keeps out this line.  

I can't be disappointed players were not here in mid-August because they probably had a facility or something where they were. We're working on that as an organization. We want players to stay and train under our umbrella, under our roof. The best teams do that.

This is them trying to put a narrative out there .... You fell for it.

RT isn't throwing ownership under the bus.

• There it is 4

Just now, Viper007 said:

The article you posted conveniently keeps out this line.  

This is them trying to put a narrative out there .... You fell for it.

RT isn't throwing ownership under the bus.

What are you trying to say? I didn’t fall for anything. It’s right there. 

He can’t blame players not being here because there are no practice facilities and then softened it with they are “working on that”.

Did you not hear all the conversations about being game ready and better shape for the start of the next season? This was at the end of last year and RT was really pushing that.

Fast forward to Aug 30th and we still have nothing set up. This is a huge issue that never got addressed. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

What are you trying to say? I didn’t fall for anything. It’s right there. 

He can’t blame players not being here because there are no practice facilities and then softened it with they are “working on that”.

Did you not hear all the conversations about being game ready and better shape for the start of the next season? This was at the end of last year and RT was really pushing that.

Fast forward to Aug 30th and we still have nothing set up. This is a huge issue that never got addressed. 

The quote we're working on that as an organization to me means that the Canucks organization is working on getting a practice facility or doing something about it.  Not throwing ownership under the bus like you are trying to suggest with your topic header.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Viper007 said:

The quote we're working on that as an organization to me means that the Canucks organization is working on getting a practice facility or doing something about it.  Not throwing ownership under the bus like you are trying to suggest with your topic header.

The title of the article said he called out ownership and in reading what was said, I agree. How about I change the title to calling out ownership. Would that make you feel better?

Edit - that’s actually what I did in the first place!

Edited by grandmaster

8 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

The title of the article said he called out ownership and in reading what was said, I agree. How about I change the title to calling out ownership. Would that make you feel better?

Edit - that’s actually what I did in the first place!

I think you need to read the actually Q&A.  I never took RT's answer as calling out ownership.  Is he disappointed that the canucks don't have a practice facility like other organizations do?  Ya, for sure.  But he's not calling them out, and instead is saying that they're working on it so that they get one.

Here is the actual question and answer.  Instead of parts taken away to fit that author's narrative.  I suggest you read the source article instead of just this person's article which was skewed, IMO.

Sportsnet: You said at the end of last season that you wanted players to return to Vancouver by mid-August and start skating together. That didn’t really happen. Obviously, it works against you that the Canucks do not have a practice facility, but are you disappointed there weren’t more guys in town?

Tocchet: It's a great question because it's give and take, right? We don't have a practice facility (and) Rogers Arena was under construction. There's a lot of things that we just don't have, so I can't really blame the players. But saying that, I think there's, like, seven guys in skating now. And next week, I think we're going to have 25 guys. I want to give kudos to the players because I know the leadership really banded together to get guys to come back. And next week, after Labour Day, I think we're going to have at least 20 to 25 guys skating. And that's a big win for me.

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The issue is not Aquilini or him being cheap.  He is a billionaire.  Also, his father has been dealing with the city since the 1970's.  I think it has more to do with the fact that there isn't any land available around Rogers Arena that can be rezoned to be used as a practice facility.  The city would rather build more condos downtown than have a huge chunk of land taken up by an ice rink and parking.  

The only way a practice facility gets built is if it's done in the suburbs.  Somewhere in Surrey would be ideal.  There is lots of land out there and it's alot cheaper and easier to rezone than in downtown Vancouver or on the Westside...

2 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

where's the land or location for the practice facility going to come from? it's not like he can walk up to an empty space and tell the city i want to build a practice facility right here... we all know the politicians here in vancouver is anti anything that doesn't give them a massive revenue.. nor would they grant the zoning requirement near rogers arena for a practice facility.. 

What about building a practice rink underneath Roger's Arena? It seems to me that having your practice rink close to the arena would be the most logical choice.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

Enough with the excuses, there is space to build one.

PNE grounds, Concord Pacific place off the top of my head. 

YVR... 

North burnaby

But we have the most useless government in Canada. They don't even know how to fight fires...  Too much bureaucracy in BC. 

I'm sure it's not about building one, it's more of owning the land, and the building when it's built.

28 minutes ago, dougieL said:

What about building a practice rink underneath Roger's Arena? It seems to me that having your practice rink close to the arena would be the most logical choice.

i dunno what you mean by underneath rogers arena.. u mean the parking lot?? or underneath that?? pretty sure that's impossible unless the space is already there and it's just about installing a rink