The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] RT calls out ownership for no practice facility

Rate this topic

grandmaster

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Well.   What about all those ordinary folks who have family members going to the Oil fields, the forrest's, mines or another country to serve for us, or wherever to do their thing without the luxury of a 100-500k paycheque a month to have the best support available?   Sorry only thing I agree about is it's a moot point.    Arizona players have a lot worse to deal with.   Can it be better?  Sure.     It's not that hard to find an ice rink in BC to rent, and make sure they can have steak and lobster flown in or whatever it is they need to do their routine.  

There's a reason why players don't want to play for Arizona. Let's not use that as an example as to why players should leave their families 2 months before the season begins. We want players to want to play for us, and being the most beautiful city isn't always going to cut it. A practice facility is a step in that direction. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Uprooting dozens of families for the sake of getting ice time for a month is a bit of an.. interesting idea? Schools are starting, most of our players have kids, they are getting their home lives in order, providing support to their significant others. If we had a practice facility in Vancouver, all of this would be a moot point; personal and professional life wouldn't have to clash entirely. 

For 8M a year I think they'll manage.

• Thanks 2
  • Wat 1

8 hours ago, grandmaster said:

What are you trying to say? I didn’t fall for anything. It’s right there. 

He can’t blame players not being here because there are no practice facilities and then softened it with they are “working on that”.

Did you not hear all the conversations about being game ready and better shape for the start of the next season? This was at the end of last year and RT was really pushing that.

Fast forward to Aug 30th and we still have nothing set up. This is a huge issue that never got addressed. 

You do realize that the organization can't force players to do anything in the office season, right?  I'd bet most teams don't have their players in town yet.

The hyperbole on this thread is significant 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Canucks_fo_life said:

I've never understood this, Rogers Arena is always open to these guys and the odd time its not they have 8 Rinks in Burnaby, none of this makes any difference really

I was thinking 8 rinks. If they booked 2 rinks exclusively for 5 weeks. 8 rinks makes much needed coin, rent out some close by hotel rooms. The young players, single players get going with coaching from the staff. Overseas players can have something to come back for. Cordon off the 2 rinks for privacy. Set up movie trailers like actors get. Video sessions in the hotel. Set up a gym and weight room at the hotel. Physical therapists and nutritionists, massage whatever. Use Rogers facilities when available. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

Well.   What about all those ordinary folks who have family members going to the Oil fields, the forrest's, mines or another country to serve for us, or wherever to do their thing without the luxury of a 100-500k paycheque a month to have the best support available?   Sorry only thing I agree about is it's a moot point.    Arizona players have a lot worse to deal with.   Can it be better?  Sure.     It's not that hard to find an ice rink in BC to rent, and make sure they can have steak and lobster flown in or whatever it is they need to do their routine.  

Spot on... I also find it hard to feel to sad for sports stars raking it, not having enough time with their families. 
what abouy Surrey? Why can't they use their facilities?

As for steak and lobster...:lol:

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, stawns said:

You do realize that the organization can't force players to do anything in the office season, right?  I'd bet most teams don't have their players in town yet.

The hyperbole on this thread is significant 

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... one thing is not having a rink but its free time for the players, and I think this was discussed in another thread, that they couldn't even remotely ask players to start early. Its in the players agreement and contracts. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • There it is 1

52 minutes ago, spook007 said:

Yeah I was thinking the same thing... one thing is not having a rink but its free time for the players, and I think this was discussed in another thread, that they couldn't even remotely ask players to start early. Its in the players agreement and contracts. 

It is absolutely part of the collective bargaining agreement.  They can't even give players summer training programs, dietary programs etc. 

The off-season is 100% off limits for coaches and management 

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was thinking 8 rinks. If they booked 2 rinks exclusively for 5 weeks. 8 rinks makes much needed coin, rent out some close by hotel rooms. The young players, single players get going with coaching from the staff. Overseas players can have something to come back for. Cordon off the 2 rinks for privacy. Set up movie trailers like actors get. Video sessions in the hotel. Set up a gym and weight room at the hotel. Physical therapists and nutritionists, massage whatever. Use Rogers facilities when available. 

Dont think any of the playera wanna hang out in burnaby. No offense to residents of burnaby

• Wat 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

The players would have to do it on their own.  Coaches and management cannot have any official role in the players off season

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Hairy Kneel said:

If I was captain and making mad cash I'd organize something ad hoc. Heck invite all local BC boys to scrimmage. Everyone chip in 10 g's and make it pro level. Not mandatory. Skate instructors, yoga benders, food masters, brew masters.

Hot bendy yoga teachers. 

• Haha 2