The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Canucks Need PTO - Nick Ritchie - 6'3" - 236 LBS

Rate this topic

wildcam

17 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Some folks here miss the point. 
You offer him a PTO to elevate the competition in camp. You don’t have to sign the guy…you utilize him to raise the compete in everyone who is battling for a winger spot on this club. 

Yeah I’m sure some folks want better options for a PTO roster player. I do too. But PTO is just a try out. Think outside the box a bit here and how much this team needs to be ready to play to start the season. That means lighting a fire under a few asses right away to see what you get from it. 

PTO a vet back up G while we’re at it please. 

And maybe even another vet D like the Nick Holden or Patrick Nemeth or Slater Koekkoek or Jake Gardiner types who might still be available.

I just want to see this team truly ready come puck drop this year. 

We should offer a PTO, but to only players who can really help the Canucks. That Invisibister clone can’t help the Canucks. Maybe a couple of those defencemen you mentioned could help. I don’t think we can have too much depth there, with the way Tocchet wants them to play. I’ll also second that notion for a veteran backup goaltender. Again, that is something that could help the Canucks. 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, RWJC said:

Who or what is your proposal for a PTO?

How about lets shed some salary first? But I would agree I'd rather give a PTO for a backup goalie. But those options are pretty meh as the rest of the free agents.

Motte would be interesting. But you are looking at best what 10-15 points for the year? But at least he knows how to hustle, so the coach would love him.

Maybe we should see who's on the waiver wire near the start of the season, and try and pick up a diamond in the rough?

Edited by Ghostsof1915
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How about lets shed some salary first? But I would agree I'd rather give a PTO for a backup goalie. But those options are pretty meh as the rest of the free agents.

Motte would be interesting. But you are looking at best what 10-15 points for the year? But at least he knows how to hustle, so the coach would love him.

I’m wondering how much salary we can shed by July 1st. Myers and Beau will be free agents and I doubt they will be back. However, they do need to be replaced and hopefully cheaply. 

• Cheers 2

20 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Maybe we should see who's on the waiver wire near the start of the season, and try and pick up a diamond in the rough?

Agreed but camp isn’t about shedding salary. I know what you’re getting at and that’s a resolution for post camp. At least in offering multiple PTOs you have insight off the hop as to how someone might gel or perform with the club and can then offer a cheap 2 way deal that becomes a depth option once the spare part salaries have been cleared out.  Interesting that Tatar is still *apparently* available although I anticipate PIT will announce something soon.

here’s a list of who’s still available (but doesn’t include certain status eg. Klefbom possibly retiring):

https://www.spotrac.com/nhl/free-agents/ufa/available/

I looooove the waiver wire scramble at the start of the year. Unfortunately think we might end up a casualty of that too though this year. Fingers crossed we can clear some of our better assets who are vulnerable to it or at least replace whomever we lose with equal value. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

I’m wondering how much salary we can shed by July 1st. Myers and Beau will be free agents and I doubt they will be back. However, they do need to be replaced and hopefully cheaply. 

Or by TDL where we can stock up for a deep playoff run  :bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 hours ago, hammertime said:

I'd bring in

Gemel Smith. Great special teams PK/PP guy with wheels to keep up and ride shotty with some skilled guys, Right shot C went PPG and the AHL not an enforcer but willing to drop em. 

ZAR The guy hits n PK's decent bottom 6.

Aaron Dell we seriously need a backup.

Derek Brassard He still moves pretty well 50% in the dot great 4th line guy put up 13g last year. Money on the PP.

Alex Edler lets try to get him another contract around the league. If there isn't one out there at least he retires a Canuck. 

Cory Schneider has found his game in the AHL. Might be cool to see him up and get a few starts so Silovs can develop and Martin can regain confidence 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Citizen Erased said:

Yeah. We might have to find takers for Garland, Beau etc.

Does BB6 last the season with us?

many predicting he will finally eclipse the 30 goal mark this year. If so he might finally live up to the annual salary. His trade value will have increased if so…

methinks two of Garland, Beauvilier, Pearson and one of our Abby prospects are traded out in different deals this season for better fits and cap space. 
Pearson and Myers might be TDL depending on where we are in standings as I think we’re still going to need him on D again to ensure we have ample able bodies. Pearson will go to a contender if he’s healthy. Just my dumb predictions.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

PROJECTED CAP HIT  : $88,484,167

PROJECTED LTIR USED  : $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE  : $0 (-$4,984,167 )

PRE-SEASON LTIR CANDIDATE ESTIMATES:

CAP HIT OF LTIR CANDIDATES  : $5,750,000

CAP SPACE WITH LTIR CANDIDATES  : $765,833

why bother with PTO when they cant sign him or anyone else even if they like them. 
they got to get some cap freedom before adding fourth line one dimensional plugs. 

I have to agree with others saying we really don’t need one-dimensional size. Or I guess size with a pinch of skill.  We’d need some edge / toughness / defensive acumen to make it worthwhile.  

Guys I wouldn’t mind signing at league min / PTO’ing that others have mentioned:  

-Edler (he’s at the end of his career but we actually have room for him and could use his PK/size/strength.)  

-ZAR (good size, defensively sound and has good chemistry with Bleuger)

I’d really be fine if we don’t add anything else but those are the names that stand out to me.

Edler makes the most sense position-wise but if he likes LA he might just be done with Vancouver.  

Motte’s speed would be nice on the 4th line too, I guess!

1 hour ago, combover said:

PROJECTED CAP HIT  : $88,484,167

PROJECTED LTIR USED  : $0

PROJECTED CAP SPACE  : $0 (-$4,984,167 )

PRE-SEASON LTIR CANDIDATE ESTIMATES:

CAP HIT OF LTIR CANDIDATES  : $5,750,000

CAP SPACE WITH LTIR CANDIDATES  : $765,833

why bother with PTO when they cant sign him or anyone else even if they like them. 
they got to get some cap freedom before adding fourth line one dimensional plugs. 

If a player on a two-way contract is sent to the minor-leagues, their salary does not count towards the salary cap. Cap hits are pro-rated, though, and they'll only count toward the cap when they're in the NHL.

Somebody come up with a big body, who can play heavy, for less than $1M????

We struggle for somebody, who can play a heavy game, but if we want a player, who can fight, hit, score and be good defensively, we are NOT looking at a $1M player... 

As long as we don't move one of our top earners, these are the kind of players we need to take a punt on... at worst waive him afterwards. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, spook007 said:

We struggle for somebody, who can play a heavy game, but if we want a player, who can fight, hit, score and be good defensively, we are NOT looking at a $1M player... 

As long as we don't move one of our top earners, these are the kind of players we need to take a punt on... at worst waive him afterwards. 

And has experience at the NHL level. 
Ritchie my not be ideal but we need another someone who can step in if need be against the heavier or larger teams that can easily physically wear down smallish defensive forwards on board battles etc.

Perhaps we’ll just have to make do with what we have in the org for now. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, spook007 said:

That’s a good point, for sure, when you’re at the bargain bin.  I just think Ritchie has “soft” size if that makes sense.

ZAR - 6’1 205

Comtois 6’2 210

both would bring a little more size without sacrificing bottom-6 two way play. They might be more in-demand than Ritchie, however.  I think fixing the PK / our two way play is more important than adding a big body.

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

That’s a good point, for sure, when you’re at the bargain bin.  I just think Ritchie has “soft” size if that makes sense.

ZAR - 6’1 205

Comtois 6’2 210

both would bring a little more size without sacrificing bottom-6 two way play. They might be more in-demand than Ritchie, however.  I think fixing the PK / our two way play is more important than adding a big body.

Absolutely... 

And I think it is being addressed, but the comtois issue hasn't been settled yet, so maybe that is why, they haven't shown an interest in him.

You may be right about the soft size, which is not what is needed, but my point is just beggars can be choosers, or at least limited ^_^

• Cheers 1