The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

***The UFC/MMA THREAD***

Charlie.Sheen

So... honest question: why don't any of the UFC announcers or analysts ever mention age difference when evaluating fighters throughout the rounds?

I literally saw a 25 year old (Gastelum) beat up on a guy pushing 40 years old (37, hadn't fought in 2 years? Kennedy) and it wasn't even mentioned a single time that Kennedy had over a decade on Gastelum and that might have been a factor as the fight grew longer--excepting the initial fight intro. That seems to be the trend (never mention massive age differences) when explaining why some fighters fade in later rounds, and I really don't understand why.

That seems like a massive if not deciding factor in a ton of fights if it goes beyond the 1st or 2nd round...

Edited by Moonshinefe

On 12/11/2016 at 2:49 AM, Moonshinefe said:

So... honest question: why don't any of the UFC announcers or analysts ever mention age difference when evaluating fighters throughout the rounds?

I literally saw a 25 year old (Gastelum) beat up on a guy pushing 40 years old (37, hadn't fought in 2 years? Kennedy) and it wasn't even mentioned a single time that Kennedy had over a decade on Gastelum and that might have been a factor as the fight grew longer--excepting the initial fight intro. That seems to be the trend (never mention massive age differences) when explaining why some fighters fade in later rounds, and I really don't understand why.

That seems like a massive if not deciding factor in a ton of fights if it goes beyond the 1st or 2nd round...

The UFC isn't like this new NHL when it comes to age. 

Seems like the majority of guys in MMA are in their peaks at 30-35.

The youngest fighter on the UFC is 20 and coincidentally got beat by guillotine tonight. Another example from tonight's event was the Perry vs Jouban fight. Perry who was going in 9-0 (all by KO) at 25 got DECISIVELY beaten by Jouban who is 10 years his senior at 35.

Using your example the major reason why TK lost to Gastelum was as you pointed out, his very long break in between his fights more so than age.

Heck, Hendo is 46 and most would say he actually won his last fight against Bisping, who is the current champ at 185.

Speaking of which, anyone watch Fight Night tonight? Was a pretty good main card for a free event. 

Edited by RRypien37

On 12/11/2016 at 2:49 AM, Moonshinefe said:

Spoiler

On 12/18/2016 at 2:04 AM, RRypien37 said:
Spoiler

The UFC isn't like this new NHL when it comes to age. 

Seems like the majority of guys in MMA are in their peaks at 30-35.

The youngest fighter on the UFC is 20 and coincidentally got beat by guillotine tonight. Another example from tonight's event was the Perry vs Jouban fight. Perry who was going in 9-0 (all by KO) at 25 got DECISIVELY beaten by Jouban who is 10 years his senior at 35.

Using your example the major reason why TK lost to Gastelum was as you pointed out, his very long break in between his fights more so than age.

Heck, Hendo is 46 and most would say he actually won his last fight against Bisping, who is the current champ at 185.

Speaking of which, anyone watch Fight Night tonight? Was a pretty good main card for a free event. 

Gentlemen do not underestimate the power of TRT - the ultimate equalizer.

I think you mostly see guys continue later in their careers at the higher weight classes. Guys like Mighty Mouse and Dodson, their muscle twitch reflexes are probably going to decline in the mid-30s. For the heavier weight classes, reliance on that twitch reflex doesn't count for as much (not saying it isn't as important, but it isn't something they have to rely on as much as the smaller guys). There's certainly footwork and movement that can make up for declining muscle twitch reflex, and I'm not saying Johnson will all of a sudden suck at age 35, but I think that the negative biological effects of ageing to hurt the heavier fighters as much. Just guessing.

• 2 weeks later...

Any predictions for Rousey vs. Nunes?  I think new and Improved Rousey returns with hunger and laser focus ... wins by 2nd round.  

Or, if my prediction is wrong and she loses, it will be end of her career ... this woman does not take losing well.  

Edited by Neversummer

I think Rhonda will win but would way rather see Nunes win.

The fight I'm most looking forward to is Dillishaw vs. Lineker.

Too bad about Cain and Werdum, two of the more well-rounded heavyweights in their division. I get bored of the Mark Hunt/Roy Nelson type fights at heavyweight.

Edited by Down by the River

1 hour ago, Neversummer said:

Any predictions for Rousey vs. Nunes?  I think new and Improved Rousey returns with hunger and laser focus ... wins by 2nd round.  

Or, if my prediction is wrong and she loses, it will be end of her career ... this woman does not take losing well.  

Nunes demolishes Ronda as bad as she did Tate. Ronda doesn't have the mental strength/fortitude and isn't even 100% committed to fighting anymore which is HUGE.