The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rate The Last Movie You Saw

marleau_12

I saw Looper. I liked the concept and a bit of the acting but the rest, not at all. I pretty much called the plot from the get go and *Spoilers in white text ahead* the way he killed himself while he could have just shot his arm off to save the woman instead drove me crazy. Probably wouldn't watch it again, but I do want to watch Cloud Atlas a lot now after reading these reviews.

fight fire with fire

well... bruce willis was in it... and i only recall him hitting 1 person.

i could get into specifics, but i wasted enough time watching this movie - do yourself a favor and listen to that voice in your head that says "it sounds like it could be awful".

5/10 because i watched the whole thing, but the last half was only out of morbid curiosity and boredom.

Brave - 5.5/10

It starts off with some promise, but it devolves into something .. well, stupid. I didn't know what the full premise of the movie was going in, so as the movie got into it, it just gets worse and worse.

It's less of a Pixar movie, and more of a Disney one. But not a good Disney one. As the movie begins to reveal itself, it shows that it's by and large just a kids movie. Which is fine as long as you're just considering it as an animated movie for younger audiences, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. A good animated movie has to offer more beyond that. It's not without it's obvious moral to the story, but it goes about it in such a simplistic manner. And it's full of pratfalls and cheap humour.

Taking the same idea and meaning, and having it be about anything at all other than turning the queen into a bear, it would have been far better off. Yet even if I had known the premise, I wouldn't have quite expected... this.

Although it's better than Cars 2, if that means anything.

I just watched Oliver Stone's latest film Savages.

Entrepreneurs Ben (
Aaron Johnson)
, a peaceful and charitable marijuana producer, and friend Chon (Taylor Kitsch), a former Navy SEAL, run a lucrative, homegrown industry - raising some of the best weed ever developed. They also share a one-of-a-kind love with Ophelia (Bake Lively). Life is idyllic in their Southern California town... until the Mexican Baja Cartel decides to move in and demands that the trio partners with them. When the merciless head of the BC, Elena (Selma Hayek) and her enforcer, Lado (Benicio Del Toro), underestimate the unbreakable bond of the three friends, Ben and Chon - with the reluctant assistance of a dirty DEA agent (John Travolta) - wage a seemingly unwinnable war against the cartel. And so begins a series of increasingly vicious ploys and maneuvers in a high stakes, savage battle of wills.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1615065/

Roger Ebert give is 3 1/2 stars out of four:

Much of the fascination of "Savages" comes through Stone's treatment of the negotiations, which involve percentages, sliding scales over three years, an ultimate payout, and other financial details that drugs have in common with big business. It's spellbinding to watch the two sides trying to outthink each other. One of the big closing scenes involves a variation of the kind of hostage trade familiar from countless Western and gangster movies — only in Stone's hands, it turns out to be not so familiar at all.

It's hard to describe how morality sneaks in here, and how everyone is evil but some have their good sides. Try to unravel the relationship that develops between Elena and O. Notice that the snaky Lado, played by Del Toro as a pitiless predator, has certain sensibilities. Listen to the discussions between Chon and Ben about the woman who was part of their so perfect triangle. Try to track the motives of Travolta's DEA agent. No, wait. It's occurred to me that he's completely evil.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120704/REVIEWS/120709995

Highly recommended.

Brave - 5.5/10

It starts off with some promise, but it devolves into something .. well, stupid. I didn't know what the full premise of the movie was going in, so as the movie got into it, it just gets worse and worse.

It's less of a Pixar movie, and more of a Disney one. But not a good Disney one. As the movie begins to reveal itself, it shows that it's by and large just a kids movie. Which is fine as long as you're just considering it as an animated movie for younger audiences, but that's not exactly a ringing endorsement. A good animated movie has to offer more beyond that. It's not without it's obvious moral to the story, but it goes about it in such a simplistic manner. And it's full of pratfalls and cheap humour.

Taking the same idea and meaning, and having it be about anything at all other than turning the queen into a bear, it would have been far better off. Yet even if I had known the premise, I wouldn't have quite expected... this.

Although it's better than Cars 2, if that means anything.

I saw Looper. I liked the concept and a bit of the acting but the rest, not at all. I pretty much called the plot from the get go and *Spoilers in white text ahead* the way he killed himself while he could have just shot his arm off to save the woman instead drove me crazy. Probably wouldn't watch it again, but I do want to watch Cloud Atlas a lot now after reading these reviews.

Tooootally disagree. Yeah, it's "just a kids movie" but maybe that's the point. Having a female lead be such a strong (or at least intelligently defiant, individualistic, etc.) in a kids movie that will be viewed by millions of children (over and over again) is important. The film seems to be an anti-love story, which is extremely unique, and the antithesis of how Disney presents its "princess" figures.

The character's are multi-dimensional, conflicted, and their choices bring heavy consequences. IMO it was a good movie. Lacked the ridiculous emotional manipulation of Up and those other films, but it packs the same intellectual punch, I think.

totally understandable, i'd be a bit reluctant to recommend it too, as it is quite childish. and i do agree the bear aspect (while cute) was really childish and very fairy tale driven, which isn't exactly adult territory

and the music was pretty bad too.

still enjoyed it though!

speaking of animated movies... totally psyched for the paranorman dvd leak, which should happen any day now. been wanting to see that for months and months.

Archived