The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jordan Schroeder will make team before Cody Hodgson

Tambo

Other than size, attitude was a big knock on Schroeder going into the draft. Hodgson has 100x the "winning/leadership petigree(sic)". Schroeder has a lot of potential, but you're dreaming if you think he's the guy that Gillis imagines in that third line spot. I'll tell you right now that if Gillis had that low of an opinion of where Hodgson is going to fit in this organization, he would've been moved by now before a year with the moose lowering his value. It's possible they both make the team, it's possible neither of them do but there is no way the Canucks currently have Schroeder ahead of Hodgson on their depth chart right now.

Simply put, if Gillis traded Grabner because he only fit a top-six role and didn't work on a third line, why would he then give a third-line role to a small speedy sniper who is very much offense first over an intelligent, larger 2-way type player with a bigger skill-set?

I agree with you that we should look forward to both of these players and they both have potential at the NHL level, but your argument on this matter is way off base.

Credit to Tambo for finally cracking open this debate. I was skeptical of Schroeder making the team this year for two reasons; a)his size  b ) hodgson was so highly regarded on this forum that i thought he was a lock to make the team.Its clear that the NHL is now a league were speed and skill trump size. That is, during the regular season. Playoffs are a different story: fewer calls are made and guys like byfuglien become heroes. for a team that is looking to go all the way, Hodgson seems like a guy who is less likely to be pushed around in the post season. I'm still quite high on Hodgson and would love to see him with the canucks this year. But if it were to be Schroeder, dont get my wrong I'd still be a happy camper.

They are both great players, Schroeder has speed and speed kills. Hodgson has to work on his skating. Sedins aren't great skaters, But they still get the job done.

Hodgson will be determined and is training hard. Schroeder's speed alone and skill might put him over Cody. And I'm really surprised OP has +34.

well Schroeder could make the team before Hodgson BUT he will not play center. he plays wing in AHL and most likely plays wing in the NHL as well. schroeder will probably start the season with the canucks since burrows will most likely miss a month or so and Jordan could end up on the second line with raymond and kesler.

i highly doubt that he plays center in NHL

Any actual evidence to back up your attitude claim?

From his collegiate coach...

It’s been enjoyable coaching him because when your best players are really good people, it just makes for a better team environment,” Lucia said in return. “When you have those players that are elite and are big team guys, then your team is going to have more success. He’s just a very, very special player. He’s also a great team player too. That’s the nice thing about Jordan. It’s all about team for him. He just wants the team to win and for the team to do well.”

From The Hockey Writers...

Although most will dwell on his size, Schroeder more than makes up for this deficiency with his outstanding hockey sense and intelligence, poise, pucks skills and blazing speed. He is the ultimate team player, has excellent creativity and is not intimidated by the physical play despite his size. Actually, as noted below in scouting combine notes, he is very stocky and has a rock solid core. He is described as more of a playmaker, but the shot he exhibited at the WJC was just as lethal as his passing.

From the Scouting Combine:

Sorokin stated: "Schroeder Looked about 5’7 to me…Is that a problem? Somehow I don’t think it will be, and you gotta see the guy’s body to understand why. It’s his build -- which is stocky and very muscular. Also looks like a kid with a really good attitude, which should help him succeed at the next level."

From our assistant GM...

"He's a great kid," Henning said. "He's shifty. Great hands. Really, really skilled. And he's a great character kid. He just loves to play. When the chips are on the line, he wants to be out there."

From The Vancouver Sun...

"Schroeder's teammate at Minnesota is Patrick White, the Canucks' underwhelming 2007 first-rounder from Grand Rapids, Minn., who had 16 points in 36 games this season.

But their birth certificates and student cards are all they have in common, as Schroeder's offensive ability seems far more compatible with 2008 top pick Cody Hodgson, the centre from Toronto who was named the best player in Canadian junior hockey this season.

The Canucks believe Schroeder's character also is similar to Hodgson's.

"He has a lot of the ingredients we're looking for," Vancouver general manager Mike Gillis said. "This guy is such a dynamic player, I don't think size is going to be an issue for him. His speed and intelligence makes other people around him better."

The reports on Schroeder say he's a good two way player that is used in all situations, including the pk. He's strong on the puck, excellent along the boards and isn't afraid to block shots. I really don't recall Grabner ever being described that way.

So what have you got that these guys apparently missed....

From Gare Joyce at the '09 draft as to why the Oilers (and others) passed on Schroeder:

"When asked what his weaknesses were, he said he didn't have any. Said he couldn't really think of anything he needed to work on. Straight-faced. Asked who was going to be on his line at UMinn next season, he said that he had already told the coach who he'd play with.

He was critical of team-mates and coaches and blamed the U.S.'s failure to win at the under-20s on everyone else except himself. Those are just a few examples. I could go on but won't. If you don't get the idea, then you never will."

i agree with you on hodgson, but i really don't know if i would go as far as saying schroeder is ready. He might do well in AHL, but I cant see how a 5'9 centre can excel in the NHL. He'll get hammer. I think he'll eventually play on the wing.

Hodgson has a bit of winning pedigree too, what with winning the 2009 WJHC gold and being the tournament's highest scorer. That comparison doesn't really favour either. Being the CHL player of the year didn't hurt CoHo's image either.

Hodgson was inches from making the team in camp two years ago, so clearly he has been NHL ready in his life. Last year was a writeoff to injury, so it really shouldn't be used as any kind of basis for comparison. If he's actually back to 2008 form, and all accounts seem to suggest he is, he's got the inside shot. Schroeder will have to really impress, not only with his footspeed (which Grabner for example had in spades and toiled in the AHL for years in spite of), but also two way instincts, playmaking ability and hockey smarts. And as much as Gillis is committed to having the best guys make the team, the fact that Schroeder's entry level contract can still slide by one year whereas Hodgson's cannot will factor somewhat into his thinking. Schroeder also will be charged with beefing up a little bit, as his 19 year old, 5'9 175 lb pound body could get tossed around like a rag doll by the Prongers and Webers of the World. Some might make a Patrick Kane comparison, but Kane was being called up to a team that needed him more (the Hawks were lousy at that point, young players just starting to grow) and he was fresh off an OHL season of 145 points in 58 games.

Don't get me wrong, both are gems, certainly 2 of the top 3 young talents in the organization (with Cory Schneider), I just think Hodgson is a more mature and complete player than Schroeder at this point, and probably also more ready to be integrated into a team of mostly NHL veterans. In 2011-2012, I think both will be Vancouver Canucks.

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time), and he's shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

The more I think about it...

Sedin Sedin Sammy

Raymond Kesler Schroeder

Malhotra Hodgson Bieksa

Hansen Rypien/Perrault Tambellini

Ehrhoff Hamhuis

Edler Ballard

Salo O'Brien

Luongo

Schneider

Sounds like a perfect lineup for winning the cup...

:canucks: I dont see this as either a Hodgson or Schreoder thread...they both can play on this team next year and the team isnt worse off for it....in fact they are probably a notch higher because of it.

To me its like trying to say burrows is over Sammy or Sammy is over Burrs...it doesnt matter both of those forwards make this a better team.both play in the top 9 and make thsi team a force.

Schreoder can play with the kesler line(if burrows not ready for season)because of his speed and skill......May find tha thodgson can center tha tline because of his skill and smarts.......maybe because of no burrows...Hodgson skill/shot has him playing with the twins...

we will see

In my opinion traning camp is a giant waste of time when it comes to identifying talent to a degree. Shirokov tore it up with how many goals last years training camp? & everyone thought we FINALLY had someone to play along the Twins. but really what did he produce from that awesome camp?

Cody & Jordan are both Amazing prospect Assets to have, [clearly made Grabner exspendable] Both are going to have similar careers [top 6 forwards] & if the Canucks hold on to both 3-5 years from now you might have a pretty lethel 1-2 punch.

My personal opinion is that Jordan makes the team & Cody heads to Manitoba for some pro seasoning. you must remember Cody only played 13 Reg Games + only 9 Playoff games last season. He needs the AHL right now.

You will see both players in a Canucks Uni before the next season is out, Codys back will be just fine, the kids onl 21 for crying out loud. I just find it stupid that he's skipping on the Canucks summer prospect camp.after all he still is a prospect & hasn't made this team yet.

When Mike Gillis was talking to the media about asking Manny Malhotra if he'd consider playing wing with a young centre, what a lot of you seem to assume is that he's talking about Cody Hodgson, ...and so Cody's penciled in on the 3rd line on all your little 'potential line-up' threads and sigs. But look at the facts, people. Cody Hodgson, who I absolutely love btw, is not NHL ready right now. Sorry, but he just isn't. Unless he has a STELLAR training camp, and shows that him and his back can not only produce offensively and defensively at the NHL level, (which is what you're all asking him to do as the 3rd line Centre), but he also has to be able to show he can skate with NHL pros, as well as handle NHL defensemen laying casual beatdowns on the small of his back. If he does that throughout the preseason, then he'll make the team. But that's a big 'if' with Hodgson right now, 'cause we just don't know. 'Cause last year's camp really showed that he doesn't have NHL wheels yet, and that if his back is going to slow him down even more, he becomes completely ineffective. Not only that, he hasn't really even shown much at the AHL level yet either, so I think he's going to have to prove himself with the Moose to start out.

Which brings me to Jordan Schroeder. This kid is the epitome of what the new NHL is all about. Speed kills. He not only has the skill-set to play at the NHL level, , and he'he's got a great winning/leadership petigree from his USA WJ performances(top goal scorer all-time)s shown that the AHL was a relatively easy learning process for him. He was dangerous whenever he touched the puck as a member of the Moose, he showed he could score, and be a smart, quick and darty centre-man who could find his linemates, and all at a high speed. He came in and got 9 points in the last 11 Moose games and then got 6 in 6 in the Playoffs. He got his feet wet playing against pros, and his speed killed at times, and that's what can transfer to the NHL in a hurry). Just watch, Schroeder is going to surprise a lot of you by taking that 3rd line centre job, and lemme tell ya, Mike Gillis knows it too.

Archived