The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Eddie Lack Talk

Donky

sounds like the canucks severely overestimated his ability and his recovery timeline

- Gillis pretty much assured everyone Lack would be a lock on the back up spot but now they said they are not sure what they would do.

-rumour on team 1040 last week was that Canucks kicked on tires on Tim Thomas, but he said he wanted a number one job.

- now if this is true - Gillis is insane for 2 reasons:

1.signing Tim Thomas to back up Luongo would be like making the guy that stole your true love, your roomate

a stupid stupid move that would destabilize Luongo and this team

2.Thomas was ousted by Boston because he was a cancer in the room - this has shades of Messier all over it - washed up, wants money and to stay in the show to BS everyone

3.If we need a back up...its a little late now, July 5th would have been a better date to do this

^I don't think they overestimated his potential. I think he's going to be a very good tender. He just needs some time to limber up his limbs. He hasn't played in any games for +++months. He's rusty. Lu can handle the job until Eddie is up to par.

The rest of your post is crap. There's no way the Nucks look at Thomas. Guys been out of action longer than Eddie. Just a stupic rumour.

I could see Eriksson getting the back up job out of camp while Eddie plays a few games with the Comets. Then by mid-late October, Eddie comes up and takes the back-up job. In that time frame, Erkisson probably won't play more than 2 or 3 games and barring Eriksson playing some lights out hockey he goes down to the AHL to polish his game a bit.

I posted this on another topic before it got locked. I think MG has screwed up royally. He has committed to Lou as being #1 and will ride Lou to the bitter end. At the same time, Mg has not a seasoned NHL experienced backup as insurance. If Lou falters or gets injured (groin)then what, go with Lack or Erikson? Pretty damn risky to put all your eggs in one basket. I believe we need a Theodore or someone like him to insure success this year.

Hey smurf, in case you weren't aware, this is a Lack thread. Try to keep your well-documented distaste for Luongo in the Luongo threads and share your opinion on Lack instead. What do you think of his technique, movements, style, etc.?

Actually, since we play San Jose in the first preseason game tonight, it's a little ironic that you're worried about a backup since they're basically having a tryout for their backup:

Sharks to have open competition for backup goalie gig

With Thomas Greiss gone (signed in Phoenix), the gig will go to either Alex Stalock (a veteran of three NHL contests) or Harri Sateri (a veteran of zero) — and, according to head coach Todd McLellan, Stalock’s edge in experience won’t matter much.

“To say that Alex has the inside edge on Harri would be unfair to both of them,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “We know where [Niemi] stands, and he looks good.

“[Niemi] can’t play 82 games, and it’s not a lockout season, so whoever wins that other job will get a chance to play and really establish themselves in the league.”

Stalock, 26, was sidelined for nearly a year after suffering a sliced nerve behind his knee in 2011. He battled back to rejoin AHL Worcester and made a brief appearance for the Sharks last season, appearing in two games.

Sateri, 23, was a Sharks draftee in 2008 that’s spent the last three seasons in Worcester, splitting time with Stalock. Prior to coming to North America he played with Tampere of Finland’s SM-liiga, appearing in a career-high 49 games during the 2009-10 campaign.

snake-eats-tail.jpg

But Lack I think will impress as he gets back to game shape. Cannata is good too but could use some AHL time. Eriksson will still need to show if he can beat Lack, but we'll see as the preseason progresses. The battle for the backup spot might even continue into the season depending on how each is playing.

snake-eats-tail.jpg

But Lack I think will impress as he gets back to game shape. Cannata is good too but could use some AHL time. Eriksson will still need to show if he can beat Lack, but we'll see as the preseason progresses. The battle for the backup spot might even continue into the season depending on how each is playing.

Here's Lack's write up from the /topic/351225-canucks-top-10-prospects-hockey-prospectus-2013">Hockey Prospectus review of our prospect pool:

8. Eddie Lack, Goaltender

2011-12 Ranking: 8th

Date of birth: 01/05/1988

Height: 6'4''

Weight: 200

Catches: Left

Statistics: 13 GP, .899 SV% (Chicago, AHL)

Acquired: Free agent

Year in Review: Lack's season did not go as planned due to a hip injury that affected his performance and made him miss most of the campaign.

The Good: Lack is a calm goalie in the net who does not tend to overreact positioning-wise, but when he needs to make a second save, he shows good effort fighting through traffic or trying to scramble up loose pucks. Lack is also an athletically-gifted player who moves well for his size. He reads the play well, and squares up pucks consistently with his giant frame.

The Bad: Lack, despite his injuries, was inconsistent in his small amount of games last season, and he sometimes displayed a lack of focus. He lacks a game-breaking element, as he will not be a player who steals games at the NHL level.

Projection: He could be a league-average goaltender.

i feel like the knocks on him from that review are a little unfair. They are saying he was inconsistant in his few games last year, but he was injured during those games. if you have watched him play some, you could see that he wasn't 100%. thats what i thought anyway.

Archived