The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

It's a good idea to also have some means of defending yourself handy as the folks who didn't prepare, or were not able to recover their supplies, are going to take them away from those who have if they can.

And it goes without saying that there are a LOT more folks who've not prepared or are underprepared in the mix than those who really prepared.

Have you been watching the show "The Colony"? Its about a group of ppl who start a new colony after a global epidemic and all sorts of scenarios arise. Other ppl coming to steal and rob are one of the main problems for the colonists.

I think the unprepared or under prepared folks are the ones who will be shown on TV headlines breaking into local supermarkets for food and water. Some will call them looters others will say they are desperate and scavenging for food. This might depend on your race. During Katrina many news headlines showed blacks as looters and whites as desperate scavenging for food.

I don't plan on being either one so I choose to be prepared.

I HATE it when people say "it's getting closer!!" Maybe because I am absolutely terrified of it happening :( .

You will hear lots of different things from different TV shows/scientists. I've come to find not much is really consistent in regards to what they say. All I know is that earthquakes happen ALL over the world EVERYDAY. I think since the devastating quake in Japan, we have all become a little hypersensitive because no longer were these large quakes hitting third world countries but one actually brought a first world country, and one that everyone believed would be the most prepared for a large quake, to its knees.

There's all this talk about the "big one" hitting Vancouver. But there's also talk about the "big one" hitting California. The "big one" that occurred in the 1700s had its epicenter in Oregon and Northern California. All I can say is that as long as Vancouver is not the epicenter.....we have a better chance!! As for a Tsunami...it is unlikely much would happen on the lower mainland, given we are boxed in by Vancouver Island and Washington.

I HATE it when people say "it's getting closer!!" Maybe because I am absolutely terrified of it happening :( .

You will hear lots of different things from different TV shows/scientists. I've come to find not much is really consistent in regards to what they say. All I know is that earthquakes happen ALL over the world EVERYDAY. I think since the devastating quake in Japan, we have all become a little hypersensitive because no longer were these large quakes hitting third world countries but one actually brought a first world country, and one that everyone believed would be the most prepared for a large quake, to its knees.

There's all this talk about the "big one" hitting Vancouver. But there's also talk about the "big one" hitting California. The "big one" that occurred in the 1700s had its epicenter in Oregon and Northern California. All I can say is that as long as Vancouver is not the epicenter.....we have a better chance!! As for a Tsunami...it is unlikely much would happen on the lower mainland, given we are boxed in by Vancouver Island and Washington.

the Big One is probably going to have a massive impact zone stretching from north to south. maybe even 500 kms+ north to south. it could be very powerful. I was on vancouver island when a 6.1 hit a few years ago and that was a few hundred kilometres away from the island, but it still packed a punch for a few seconds. Woke me up in the middle of the night. Seriously felt like thunder coming from below me.

OK guys, tonight at 7pm on channel 42 which is Discovery might be the show I saw. I've been watching these things on 2 channels, discovery and passionate eye and can't remember which had the evidence of the soil core history. This may be the one on tonight.

That was the show, did anyone watch? The major quakes come in groupings of 4-5 every several hundred years with the last one being the biggest, so the one that hits us could be 3X bigger than the Japan quake. The evidence is in the mud cores and is very reliable. Also, the cascadia fault and the san andreas faults are connected, so the big one that hits us could go from Vancouver island right down to LA, could be as big as 9.4.

That was the show, did anyone watch? The major quakes come in groupings of 4-5 every several hundred years with the last one being the biggest, so the one that hits us could be 3X bigger than the Japan quake. The evidence is in the mud cores and is very reliable. Also, the cascadia fault and the san andreas faults are connected, so the big one that hits us could go from Vancouver island right down to LA, could be as big as 9.4.

Are you talking to yourself? ^_^

Very interesting info. I guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm definitely going to ramp up my earthquake prep. kit. No harm in it. :)

If we have the Big One in 2012, the 2012 hype is going to be even more crazy. fml, canucks please win the cup this season!!!!!

Edited by The Brahma Bull

6.5-magnitude earthquake strikes northern Sumatra in Indonesia:

JAKARTA: A strong 6.5-magnitude earthquake hit off Indonesia's Bengkulu province on Tuesday, local geologists said, but there were no immediate reports of damage or tsunami warnings issued.

The quake struck at a depth of 10 kilometres (6 miles), 547 kilometres south-west of Bintuhan in Bengkulu at 14:36 pm (0734 GMT), according to Indonesia's geophysics agency.

sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", where the meeting of continental plates causes high seismic activity, and Sumatra is particularly prone to earthquakes.

http://timesofindia....how/9622180.cms

According to this website it was a 6.6 magnitude earthquake - http://earthquake.us.../usc0005pdr.php

Edited by Vintage Canuck.

My dad has earthquake insurance on the house, but does anyone have any idea if they'd honour it if the big one hit or will they try to sneak their way out? It has something to do with building a new house/rebuilding it.

Apparently they don't even let people buy earthquake insurance where I live now, but he had bought it a long itme ago.

Edited by The Brahma Bull

My dad has earthquake insurance on the house, but does anyone have any idea if they'd honour it if the big one hit or will they try to sneak their way out? It has something to do with building a new house/rebuilding it.

Apparently they don't even let people buy earthquake insurance where I live now, but he had bought it a long itme ago.

I was told by a prof years ago that if your house is damaged enough from an earthquake that you'll need insurance so will so many other people that the insurance company couldn't pay out. But maybe that's bs--I don't know. I don't have earthquake insurance on a 1940's house in Vancouver. Solid earth!

Edited by inane