The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

OMG Earthquake?

Madness

I was told by a prof years ago that if your house is damaged enough from an earthquake that you'll need insurance so will so many other people that the insurance company couldn't pay out. But maybe that's bs--I don't know. I don't have earthquake insurance on a 1940's house in Vancouver. Solid earth!

your prof was straight up lying, or rather passing on unfounded conjecture, national insurance companies will not be crippled into bankruptcy by a major earthquake, they are setup/legally required to have enough funds to cover their policies in case of catastrophy like a major earthquake (plus, most policies only cover up to a certain amount anyway.)

My dad has earthquake insurance on the house, but does anyone have any idea if they'd honour it if the big one hit or will they try to sneak their way out? It has something to do with building a new house/rebuilding it.

Apparently they don't even let people buy earthquake insurance where I live now, but he had bought it a long itme ago.

If an earthquake happened and everyone had earthquake insurance, how in the hell will the insurance company pay everyone back? It's a scam.

• Upvote 1

unless you are paying a HUGE premium i highly doubt u can get earth quake insurance i mean why would a company want to give you hundreds of thousands of dollars if your home is destroyed when they dont make a profit? the likely hood of an earthquake is extremely high therefore someone giving you insurance for an earth quake is not going happen. maybe if there are like disclaimers saying only certain levels of earthquakes are covered..

all u need is a earth quake kt and storage of fresh water

Edited by Vlas=d

all u need is a earth quake kt and storage of fresh water

That's the hard part though, in a bad quake you're likely going to need more than a few days worth of suppies.

Also you have to make sure that they won't be buried under a building, destroyed in a fire or flooded before you can make use of them.