The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

Went to the game, had eyes on Lee the entire time. Probably possessed Vancouver's ball about 33% of the time, with most of the chances coming from his wing. Is he not captain because of the language barrier?

Lee is a great player, eh, Bob?

MVP last year, could be again this year.

Great game today. Besides the sh!t goal Cannon allowed, the 'Caps looked great against a decent Columbus side. It is early, but, things are looking up for the franchise.

Style of play has changed from "1960's-English-chase-the-diagonal-long-ball-to-the-corner" to a more modern quick passing, wide attack style. I like it when they play a 4-4-1-1 as opposed to the 4-1-4-1 because Miller can play more up front.

I wasn't too impressed with Mattocks for the second straight game. He is small to be a lone striker and he spends too much time on his ass... kind of like Ryan Kesler... too much flopping about, looking for a foul. He obviously hasn't learned from last season. He hasn't looked a threat to score yet in 2 games. Good sub to bring in Hurtado. His goal was onside, IMO. Too bad the assistant didn't agree!

Rusin looked a decent replacement for Demerit at the back. Big boots to fill, but, Brad did it admirably. Unlucky not to score in the first half with the header. Miller could have a hatty in the first half alone, too. And Reo-Coker missed a sitter from 7 yards, as well. Could have been 6-1 'Caps!

1 negative... Only 18 000 at the Dome. 'Caps should sell out every game. If they keep winning, the bandwagon will fill up pretty quickly, methinks. It would be great to see the upper bowl open like in Seattle!

Next 3 on the road. Go, 'Caps!

I don't think they should open up the upper bowl, not until there's like a Canucks type frenzy here.

Went to the game, had eyes on Lee the entire time. Probably possessed Vancouver's ball about 33% of the time, with most of the chances coming from his wing. Is he not captain because of the language barrier?

Language barrier is one thing, but I think at one point Lee said he didn't want to be the captain. Miller stepped his game up in his first game as captain and if he keeps this up, I have no problem with him being selected.

Went to the game, had eyes on Lee the entire time.  Probably possessed Vancouver's ball about 33% of the time, with most of the chances coming from his wing.  Is he not captain because of the language barrier?

I was surprised to see Miller wearing the arm band, TBH. I thought it would be Rochat or possibly Lee myself...

Whitecaps look so much better this year. The midfield can really hold onto the ball, and it's quite clear that Kobayashi and Reo-Coker are making a huge difference. Lee has been phenomenal again this year (no surprise, really), and now with more midfield and CB depth, Rochat can play strictly as a left-back where he is the most effective.

I'm also not surprised at all that Miller has the armband with Demerit out. Miller captained the Scottish National Team for years (still does?) and Y.P. Lee didn't want the armband. There's really nobody else deserving of it with the exception of Reo-Coker but he just joined the team so obviously it would be too soon. Reo-Coker captained 3 teams in the BPL (Bolton, West Ham, and Aston Villa), so if he stays for a while, I could see him eventually taking the armband.

Whitecaps look so much better this year. The midfield can really hold onto the ball, and it's quite clear that Kobayashi and Reo-Coker are making a huge difference. Lee has been phenomenal again this year (no surprise, really), and now with more midfield and CB depth, Rochat can play strictly as a left-back where he is the most effective.

I'm also not surprised at all that Miller has the armband with Demerit out. Miller captained the Scottish National Team for years (still does?) and Y.P. Lee didn't want the armband. There's really nobody else deserving of it with the exception of Reo-Coker but he just joined the team so obviously it would be too soon. Reo-Coker captained 3 teams in the BPL (Bolton, West Ham, and Aston Villa), so if he stays for a while, I could see him eventually taking the armband.

Since Lee has played in such amazing form, I can definitely see him playing more years here. He totally wants his kids to settle here in Vancouver, so why not keep playing?

Hot dog man's been great, though. Is he a DP?

Edited by Bob.Loblaw

haha me too

You can count me in on that too. Never been a soccer fan in my life. Went to 3 games last year and now I'm hooked. Way more excited about the caps than I am about the Canucks. In case anyone missed it, check out Kobayashi's goal against Columbus. Won goal of the week and Rennie said it was the nicest goal he's seen since being in MLS.

really wish sportsnet would hire a proper soccer broadcaster. Craig Macewan is just awful, Paul Dolan is a great guy and i think does a good colour job.

really sick of hearing kobaYASHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

• Upvote 2

Chivas 2 Whitecaps 1

A disappointing result but not a bad game to watch.

I thought the Caps were going to tie it up, at least. Once again a lack of finish does them in.

So far this season, 5 goals in 4 games. That's a disappointing stat to start the season. But with the speed & potential on this team, you have to expect that they are going to start to explode sooner or later. Hopefully next Saturday against San Jose.