#61 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:14 PM

Bit of a bizarre turn of events.

Maybe he didn't want a two way contract. That's a lot of money to spend on someone if he can't play on this team after a fair assessment.

That's where the decision likely laid. I'm sure Gillis would have liked to have him back, especially if he isn't able to get another top 6 guy this summer, but who knows where the sticking point was.

At the end of the day, Shiro had the chance to prove what he could do at training camp but came in out of shape. That's a character flaw that Gillis isn't fond of. Sure, his willingness to work to get that back is a point in his favour, but he's still in a similar position to Grabner - another guy who has to play top 6 on a team with depth in those positions.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#62 MikeyD

MikeyD

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:17 PM

Ah we're so stupid...

Posted Image

#63 BenDrinkin

BenDrinkin

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,330 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:18 PM

I'm surprised he stayed here this long. He would have been way better off playing on a bad team, we are too deep.

#64 TheAce

TheAce

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,931 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 12:54 PM

Thanks AV.... another young talent wasted away.

We are only lucky that Hodgeson has thick skin and a good head on his shoulders otherwise he would have demanded a trade after AV publicly threw him under the bus calling him a faker.

#65 crazycanucklyhead

crazycanucklyhead

K-Wing Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

:picard: AV is the devil!

#66 prana16

prana16

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,225 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

That's where the decision likely laid. I'm sure Gillis would have liked to have him back, especially if he isn't able to get another top 6 guy this summer, but who knows where the sticking point was.

At the end of the day, Shiro had the chance to prove what he could do at training camp but came in out of shape.

How many talented prospects, how many draft picks, how many good assets, how many years are the media and MG going to allow AV to get away with this totally BS excuse for him to banish talent in favor of his boys.

Its really bizarre that its always the best hockey players, most highly touted prospects, most skilled that seem to keep showing up "out of shape"

Tanner glass 73 games 3 goals -5 no won fights no effective grit

Shirokov 2 games(1.5 actually) 1 goal +1 lead his team in scoring in the ahl with 22 goals

Good thing Glass is in shape.

#67 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:06 PM

i wish nothing more then to see him become a superstar and expose AV for the retard he is for never even giving him a chance..

AV is ruining all our prospects... Might as well stop drafting, whats the point?
Fire MG

#68 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

Not surprising, really. Didn't get a shot. He'd be playing in Florida or Long Island.

If he'd be playing in those cities then someone would have signed him. He's a decent pro player but clearly not an NHL regular. He packed it in and went home.

Let's try and remember the Canucks did recall him during the playoffs to be a part of it. So we didn't give up on Sergei, he gave up on the NHl dream.
Posted Image

#69 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:10 PM

He was 10 times more NHL ready than everyones fav rookie crush hodgson.

What a friggin joke. If I was a rookie on the Canucks right now i would give up. Apparently not even leading your ahl team in scoring and scoring in your first NHL game means u get a shot on the Canucks.

Bs

Young Cody must have had a 24 hour smile on when he was leading old Shiro in the Moose scoring before getting injured. Shiro had a decent season but not a PPG player. The new kid from Buffalo, Mancuri(?) has put up back to back AHL seasons at 1 PPG. Apparently that isn't good enough for some CDCer's. I don't blame Shiro for going home. I did think he would try another training camp before doing so but then his contract might not have been there. I also hardly think that he walked without a talk with MG. A 3 year deal would have been hard to ignore.

#70 mpt

mpt

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,529 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:12 PM

Shirokov wanted to play in the NHL, it was difficult for him, and instead of busting his butt, he'll take the easy way out and go play in the KHL. He wasn't good enough for the NHL, plain and simple, he has no one to blame but himself.

#71 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:14 PM

i wish nothing more then to see him become a superstar and expose AV for the retard he is for never even giving him a chance..

AV is ruining all our prospects... Might as well stop drafting, whats the point?

Idiotic comment. AV ruins prospects??? Ask Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows if they felt he ruins prospects. They were prospects under his tutelage. Seems to have turned out okay for them,

We have a veteran-laden roster that came within one game of the Stanley Cup its' hard for prospects to break in. Where did Shirokov fit???
Posted Image

#72 sam13371337

sam13371337

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,813 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 01:34 PM

Idiotic comment. AV ruins prospects??? Ask Kesler, Bieksa and Burrows if they felt he ruins prospects. They were prospects under his tutelage. Seems to have turned out okay for them,

We have a veteran-laden roster that came within one game of the Stanley Cup its' hard for prospects to break in. Where did Shirokov fit???

all those players had cracked the lineup al;ready by the time AV arrived.. .

but lets forget about reality.. Lets get into your fantasy land and pretend AV found them in the dumpster and developed him all on his own
Fire MG

#73 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:00 PM

Shirokov wanted to play in the NHL, it was difficult for him, and instead of busting his butt, he'll take the easy way out and go play in the KHL. He wasn't good enough for the NHL, plain and simple, he has no one to blame but himself.

So from watching 1.5 games, in which he got a nice goal, in your expert opinion, Shirokov was not "good enough" for the NHL?

Not busting his butt?
Lets see he led the Moose in goals and assists in the regular season.
He also lead in goal scoring in the playoffs for the Moose, and was second in overall points, the best Canuck prospect in that department.

So please explain how he has to "blame himself" for AV not calling him up and allowing him to have a decent stretch up here, especially after they had all but clinched the Western Conference?

IMO a serious blunder, allowing your top scorer on your farm team to walk.

#74 JJstokes

JJstokes

K-Wing Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:09 PM

Haven't really read anything other than a couple post causequite frankly 90% of the people that post have no idea about hockey, theyprobably have never played and have only been watching for 5 years. Bottom lineis Shirokov came here to play in the nhl, is good friends with ovechkin and hetold him to come over and do it.
Now for those of you that say training came determines your whole season get aclue!!! Just because you have a poor training came if you go down to the farmand prove yourself there and do the things they want you to do then you deservea chance. He got that chance and preformed well. He scored a goal and then wasbenched and sent back down ??? We will never know what happened but ithas been said that AV is very arrogant, this might possibly lead to not playingplayers based on not skill and performance but his arrogance.
AV never gave him a fair shot, but raymond who disappears for months on endnever gets benched. To me this is very questionable. Canucks as missing theboat big time on these prospects and i can't help be feel its AV's fault.Before AV we had marc crawford who played the twins, kesler, burrows, bieksaetc..... when they weren't proven and look what they became. something needs tochange

#75 ZackAttack-9

ZackAttack-9

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 385 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:15 PM

What a horribly disappointing day. HORRIBLE.

#76 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:18 PM

Sergei did NOT bolt. He was chased away by our precious "coach" - and I use the term advisedly. Two games in two years is just plain idiocy!

two games in one season 8 games in 2 seasons
Posted Image

#77 Vigneault's Stache

Vigneault's Stache

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:22 PM

So from watching 1.5 games, in which he got a nice goal, in your expert opinion, Shirokov was not "good enough" for the NHL?

so , all you watched of him was that 1.5 games and from that you think he belongs in the nhl?

if his opinion doesnt mean crap because he only say two games this year from him then yours is just the same

(unless your from Manitoba )
Posted Image

#78 kilgore

kilgore

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:39 PM

so , all you watched of him was that 1.5 games and from that you think he belongs in the nhl?

if his opinion doesnt mean crap because he only say two games this year from him then yours is just the same

(unless your from Manitoba )

Did I say I thought he definitely belongs in the NHL?

I was inferring that our leading point getter on our farm team deserved a better shot at the big club than he was given. He may not have stuck, but 1.5 games (in which he got a goal) for our top producer in Manitoba, is enough for AV to determine he's had his shot?

So you evidently don't believe he had the potential. I'd like to know what you base this on. AV doesn't like him? or something more substantial.

#79 Nucks-4-Life

Nucks-4-Life

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,052 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 02:48 PM

frackKKK

We are officially free agent frenzy LOSERS.

"Hands of stone" Higgins re-signed.

"More fragile than Salo" Sturm overpaid.

Shirokov walks to the KHL.

Horrible asset management by MG, absolutely horrible.

And for those of you pissed at AV's misuse of our prospects please read my thread:

http://forum.canucks...or-the-new-nhl/

#80 dorrcoq

dorrcoq

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:30 PM

Leading your team in scoring doesn't give the best chance to win?

He scored 22 goals. In the AHL. Get over it.

#81 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:49 PM

He was 10 times more NHL ready than everyones fav rookie crush hodgson.

What a friggin joke. If I was a rookie on the Canucks right now i would give up. Apparently not even leading your ahl team in scoring and scoring in your first NHL game means u get a shot on the Canucks.

Bs

ya no doubt, but idiots like Glass, Bolduc, and Desbien get to play on a nightly basis. Add to the fact Sergei scored in his first appearance this season, but AV doesn't like talent in his lineup

#82 filthycanuck

filthycanuck

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,175 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

How many talented prospects, how many draft picks, how many good assets, how many years are the media and MG going to allow AV to get away with this totally BS excuse for him to banish talent in favor of his boys.

Its really bizarre that its always the best hockey players, most highly touted prospects, most skilled that seem to keep showing up "out of shape"

Shirokov 2 games(1.5 actually) 1 goal +1 lead his team in scoring in the ahl with 22 goals

exactly, we had so many players that were bypassed in favour of plugs that AV loves, geez, Peter Schaefer made the team. Julien showed us what a real coach can do having confidence on his players, rolling 4 lines regardless of experience. Julien iced the lineup that gave his team the best chance to win, and AV puts the lineup with players that he LIKES. Big difference

#83 ElfShotTheFood

ElfShotTheFood

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,358 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

ya no doubt, but idiots like Glass, Bolduc, and Desbien get to play on a nightly basis. Add to the fact Sergei scored in his first appearance this season, but AV doesn't like talent in his lineup

Bolduc and Desbiens played 36 games between them last season. That's hardly playing on a "nightly basis."

#84 Boudrias

Boudrias

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,197 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

Did I say I thought he definitely belongs in the NHL?

I was inferring that our leading point getter on our farm team deserved a better shot at the big club than he was given. He may not have stuck, but 1.5 games (in which he got a goal) for our top producer in Manitoba, is enough for AV to determine he's had his shot?

So you evidently don't believe he had the potential. I'd like to know what you base this on. AV doesn't like him? or something more substantial.

Shiro wasn't even in the top 30 of AHL scorers. Not even close to a PPG. I don't disagree that he might have got a string of games but the Canucks seemed focussed on a CUP run which ended in them winning the Conference and League titles. Instead of developing Shiro and CoHo for depth up front they got Higgins and Lapierre. I suggest they errored on the side of size and experience which I would have done in the same situation. If the injuries during the season had happened up front rather on the d-core then I suspect he would have got that chance.

#85 Christophe

Christophe

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 01 July 2011 - 07:53 PM

Good job. Keep developing players and then giving them no chance and getting nothing for them.

CoHo look out, you're probably next.

#86 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,162 posts

Posted 02 July 2011 - 07:03 PM

So, you don't think he was out of shape in camp? What do you have to base that on over what the people who are paid to do this are telling us? Do you think they are lying?

And who are all these best hockey players, most highly touted prospects, most skilled that you say are showing up out of shape (to insinuate AV is using it as an excuse or something similar to not play prospects)? I could see you making an argument for Hodgson two years ago as he'd not properly recovered from a back injury (last year he just wasn't good enough yet) but who else are you saying wasn't, Grabner?

That's also a completely useless argument to try and compare Glass to Shirokov, regardless of what shape they were in. By your reasoning, Lee Sweatt should have been given the same contract as James Wisniewsky since they had comparable AHL seasons (14 points in 40+ games for Sweatt and 25 points in 60+ games for Wis, their first real AHL seasons) and Sweatt was on a similar ppg pace. Does that sound logical?

You can't talk about how 4th liners were given more chances than a guy meant for the top 6. He didn't stay, get over it.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#87 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

Thanks AV.... another young talent wasted away.

We are only lucky that Hodgeson has thick skin and a good head on his shoulders otherwise he would have demanded a trade after AV publicly threw him under the bus calling him a faker.

The irony of this post is it actually happened.

Should have given Shirokov a fair shot, I think he would have produced more than Raymond. Sucks we lost him, hopefully he comes back eventually, gets a chance to stick and makes us look like fools.

zackass.png

#88 One one two

One one two

Got skipped

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,878 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:31 AM

The irony of this post is it actually happened.

Should have given Shirokov a fair shot, I think he would have produced more than Raymond. Sucks we lost him, hopefully he comes back eventually, gets a chance to stick and makes us look like fools.

Kind of an odd time for an 18 month long bump, isn't it? :P Guess there's not much to talk about.

I always liked Shirokov and was sad to see him leave; thought he had a chance at being a top-6 forward for us if everything went well for him.

#89 Smashian Kassian

Smashian Kassian

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,217 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

Kind of an odd time for an 18 month long bump, isn't it? :P Guess there's not much to talk about.

I always liked Shirokov and was sad to see him leave; thought he had a chance at being a top-6 forward for us if everything went well for him.

Yeah sorry about that, I was just thinking about him, and I wanted about it since there is nothing else to talk about. Hopefully the Mods don't get mad as I have bumped a few threads but with this lockout there is almost nothing to talk about hockeywise.

I was sad to see him go too, he did everything right here, came here sacrificed the money and worked on his game, he came up and played great I thought then AV benched him and sent him down for no reason.

MG's motto "The best players play" that he always talks about doesn't seem to be the case with anyone besides Ballard.

And on the topic of long lost Russian's I was watching a Kirill Koltsov highlight package and he looks really good offensively. Should try to get him to come over here. at the very least right now he could help the Wolves PP till the season gets going. :P

I miss our long lost Russians. :(

zackass.png

#90 Pears

Pears

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,346 posts

Posted 24 December 2012 - 02:42 AM

Yeah sorry about that, I was just thinking about him, and I wanted about it since there is nothing else to talk about. Hopefully the Mods don't get mad as I have bumped a few threads but with this lockout there is almost nothing to talk about hockeywise.

I was sad to see him go too, he did everything right here, came here sacrificed the money and worked on his game, he came up and played great I thought then AV benched him and sent him down for no reason.

MG's motto "The best players play" that he always talks about doesn't seem to be the case with anyone besides Ballard.

And on the topic of long lost Russian's I was watching a Kirill Koltsov highlight package and he looks really good offensively. Should try to get him to come over here. at the very least right now he could help the Wolves PP till the season gets going. :P

I miss our long lost Russians. :(

I too watched a highlight package of Koltsov a while back and thought: This guy was our prospect at one point? So then I go to his draft year which was 2002, and guess who was drafted just after him.

In my eyes drouin is overrated he can score in the qmjhl but did nothing in last two gold medal games that canada lost. Fox will be better pro than him talk to me in five yrs

Gaudreau has one NHL goal whereas all your "prized" prospects have none.

ryan kesler is going to the chicago blackhawks ...       quote me on it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.