The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDCGML 2011-12 Season

canuck2xtreme

Boy!!! The new guys sure made themselves feel at home right away!

They just kicked the door down, flopped down on the couch and helped themselves to the fridge.

Well, at least we know confidence won't be a major issue. No shrinking violets here.

:lol:

If you got EOTM in here, it would truly become a case where the inmates tookover and were now running the asylum!

I managed to give a shout out to all the guys and gals on CDC first, and then I went specifically EOTM, BB, Admin 2, Stealth, Deb and before I got to 'The Russian' aka HSS, RUPERTKD and CoNie of course....good ol' Patterson wasn't going to have any of that....something about 'crazy names on teh interwebs' and cut me off. ;)

LMAO!! Wow, great to see a quality new group of General Managers and quality people joining this league! I am so excited about the upcoming offseason, and season here in CDCGML!! Whatsup boyss!! Heres to a fresh start!!

My MSN is da.washington_caps@hotmail.com

Everyone should add me asap so I can get to know you guys and discuss some puck!!

Since the search for suitable candidates for the vacant GM positions has gone easier than expected I figure we might as well get this done asap.

As always, if I have overlooked anything the membership feels is important for the new hires to understand please feel free to fill in the blanks.

CDC GM League Tips, Tricks and FAQ for New GMs

Firstly, on behalf of the membership and the League, welcome to the game! We hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us and find as much value in the ‘process’ as we do. ;)

Secondly, congratulations on becoming a General Manager of an NHL team! Your boys are counting on you to make your team a winner and it’s a tough job that will require patience, dedication, and smarts. You might not be successful straight away but if you have a plan you can get there.

Thirdly, with great power comes great responsibility. GMs of a hockey team have a lot of work to do, signing players, scouting, trading, drafting, waivers, injuries, cap management and developing future stars from your minors. You can choose to be good at the job or great at it. It’s really up to you.

Before you get into the game too far there are a few important rules of thumb that will make the transition easier for you. Most of these are from the accumulated experience of your fellow GMs who had to learn things the hard way. It’s not fun, I don’t recommend it.

1) Check the OP – Most of the info you will ever need is located in the OP. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

2) Go Slowly at First – Until you get a feel for the scoring system and the relative values of the players in contrast to their salaries it is best to not do anything too radical. Make sure your moves are well calculated, as your opposition’s will be. Some GMS here are sharks and would like to be the first one to grab that player from your team.

3) Get to Know your Fellow GMs – I can’t stress this enough. A good part of the fun of the game is to learn the point of view of potential trading partners and the strategies of your rivals. That guy you might want from another team could be cheaper than you expect. Oh, and you’ll make friends.

4) Use MSN Messenger - Chat real time as it adds a whole different dynamic . This is the reason that we provide email addresses in the OP and it is an invaluable tool. CDC Private Messenger is a poor substitute and slow. You’ll miss out on the good deals. Plus, they’re smart guys and they like to talk hockey.

5) Ask Advice – Don’t try and reinvent the wheel. Don’t get caught losing a player to waivers when you send them to your minors because you didn’t read the rule or know your player’s status. It sucks. You will find that the vast majority of your fellow GMs will be more than happy to help you get as comfortable as possible and the League Executives will do our best to educate you. In the end, the better you guys become the more challenging, and hence fun, the game is for us.

6) Be Patient – It’s an 82 game season and only one team can win every year (though hopefully not the same team, I’m getting sick of that) and there are 30 teams in the league. As most GMs have jobs, personal commitments and, well, lives, it is best to keep in mind that no one is actually in this for the money. The League Executive need to do a lot of record keeping to make this game function and we do this in our spare time so cut us some slack. Oh, and you probably have players on your roster on 3 or 4 year contracts. Play the long game.

7) Use the NHL as Your Model – When, how, what do you need to do to play the game? Simple. Everything you would need to do in real life if you were a GM in the NHL. Remember that and you will get the feel of the game right away. Realism is the name of the game. The sooner you can learn to think of yourself as Mike Gillis and run your organization on the same schedule as the Canucks then the sooner you’ll get in the rhythm.

8) Don’t Anger Your Players – If you put Crosby on your 4th line or put Luongo as your back-up they are going to ask for a trade or even sit out. Treat them with the respect they deserve.

9) Stay Active – Check the thread frequently even if you don’t post but do post every once and awhile so we know you are around. Stay on top of your roster with regards to demotions and injuries and make sure you give yourself the best chance to succeed.

Where Are We Now

Well, we are in the offseason and the FA period. Remember #7? Your job right now is to look at your roster and figure out your organizational direction. Are you a contender? Pretender? Retooling? Total rebuild? Once you have that figured that out you can address your needs, so get your plan together asap.

Naturally, the FA season started July 1st and you are welcome to submit offers to any 3 of the agents(myself, canuck2xtreme and lethunder) and the instructions for this are in the OP . Try us all out, we all have our different styles, advantages and disadvantages. We, specifically I, are a little behind at the moment but will quickly get caught up. Currently, we are still trying to fill out our empty GM positions so we there will be a little lag in getting players signed but this will allow the new GMs to get in some offers before we go too far and they lose out completely.

Training camp is around the corner so you will need to decide if that young player is going to stick in the NHL or not, if you should sign that recent draft pick to a contract or if you can wait for them to develop, and how much of your organizational budget you should allocate to different departments.

Get on it and be proactive. You snooze, you lose.

Thread Etiquette

Be polite, be professional, be interesting.

The thread’s primary use as is a forum to learn about transactions, player signings, and waivers from the League, to allow GMs to report news from their teams, and to build camaraderie among the group. A good way to envision the thread is part media outlet, part official message service and part clubhouse.

The game thread exists for all 30 members as their main tool for finding information about the goings on of the League and to inform other GMs of news, rumours, and reports from their own teams. Have fun with it. Some GMs write articles, others news wire reports and even others make videos.

Remember that everything you put in the thread is public. Don’t put players with NTCs on the block or they will see it so you better get their permission first. The thread really is your public face so you can be a Brian Burke or you can be a Ken Holland. It’s your choice but keep in mind that the other GMs are both your adversaries and your peers. Don’t make enemies if you can help it because that other GM might have the final piece to your puzzle. Rivalries are good and encouraged though as long as you show the due respect. For example, I think very highly of lethunder as person, respect his abilities and consider him a friend however, as GM of the Isles, I hate the Buffalo Sabres with every fibre of my being.

It is important to keep thread chatter down to a reasonable level so that other GMs don’t need to wade through 15 pages of drivel if they go away for the weekend. In the offseason, right now, it isn’t as important but once the season gets going there is a lot happening and you’ll just annoy the others.

Ultimately, please show respect for the thread and your fellow GMs and keep it professional.

FAQs

Ok, I didn’t write this part so I will just throw it out to the new GMs to ask in the thread about anything they want clarification on and the membership will sort you out in no time.

OK, gentlemen, what did I forget?

2) Go Slowly at First – Until you get a feel for the scoring system and the relative values of the players in contrast to their salaries it is best to not do anything too radical. Make sure your moves are well calculated, as your opposition’s will be . Some GMS here are sharks and would like to be the first one to grab that player from your team.

Since the search for suitable candidates for the vacant GM positions has gone easier than expected I figure we might as well get this done asap.

As always, if I have overlooked anything the membership feels is important for the new hires to understand please feel free to fill in the blanks.

CDC GM League Tips, Tricks and FAQ for New GMs

Firstly, on behalf of the membership and the League, welcome to the game! We hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us and find as much value in the ‘process’ as we do. ;)

Secondly, congratulations on becoming a General Manger of an NHL team! Your boys are counting on you to make your team a winner and it’s a tough job that will require patience, dedication, and smarts. You might not be successful straight away but if you have a plan you can get there.

Thirdly, with great power comes great responsibility. GMs of a hockey team have a lot of work to do, signing players, scouting, trading, drafting, waivers, injuries, cap management and developing future stars from your minors. You can choose to be good at it or great at the job. It’s really up to you.

Before you get into the game too far there are a few important rules of thumb that will make the transition easier for you. Most of these are from the accumulated experience of your fellow GMs who had to learn things the hard way. It’s not fun, I don’t recommend it.

1) Check the OP – Most of the info you will ever need is located in the OP. Learn it. Know it. Live it.

2) Go Slowly at First – Until you get a feel for the scoring system and the relative values of the players in contrast to their salaries it is best to not do anything too radical. Make sure your moves are well calculated, as your opposition’s will be . Some GMS here are sharks and would like to be the first one to grab that player from your team.

3) Get to Know your Fellow GMs – I can’t stress this enough. A good part of the fun of the game is to learn the point of view of potential trading partners and the strategies of your rivals. That guy you might want from another team could be cheaper than you expect. Oh, and you’ll make friends.

4) Use MSN Messenger - Chat real time as it adds a whole different dynamic . This is the reason that we provide email addresses in the OP and it is an invaluable tool. CDC Private Messenger is a poor substitute and slow. You’ll miss out on the good deals. Plus, they’re smart guys and they like to talk hockey.

5) Ask Advice – Don’t try and reinvent the wheel. Don’t get caught losing a player to waivers when you send them to your minors because you didn’t read the rule or know your player’s status. It sucks. You will find that the vast majority of your fellow GMs will be more than happy to help you get as comfortable as possible and the League Executives will do our best to educate you. In the end, the better you guys become the more challenging, and hence fun, the game is for us.

6) Be Patient – It’s an 82 game season and only one team can win every year (though hopefully not the same team, I’m getting sick of that) and there are 30 teams in the league. As most GMs have jobs, personal commitments and, well, lives, it is best to keep in mind that no one is actually in this for the money. The League Executive need to do a lot of record keeping to make this game function and we do this in our spare time so cut us some slack. Oh, and you probably have players on your roster on 3 or 4 year contracts. Play the long game.

7) Use the NHL as Your Model – When, how, what do you need to do to play the game? Simple. Everything you would need to do in real life if you were a GM in the NHL. Remember that and you will get the feel of the game right away. Realism is the name of the game. The sooner you can learn to think of yourself as Mike Gillis and run your organization on the schedule as the Canucks then the sooner you’ll get in the rhythm.

8) Don’t Anger Your Players – If you put Crosby on your 4th line or put Luongo as your back-up they going to ask for a trade or even sit out. Treat them with the respect they deserve.

9) Stay Active – Check the thread frequently even if you don’t post but do post every once and awhile so we know you are around. Stay on top of your roster with regards to demotions and injuries and make sure you give yourself the best chance to succeed.

Where Are We Now

Well, we are in the offseason and the FA period. Remember #7? Your job right now is to look at your roster and figure out your organizational direction. Are you a contender? Pretender? Retooling? Total rebuild? Once you have that figured that out you can address your needs so get your plan together asap.

Naturally, the FA season started July 1st and you are welcome to submit offers to any 3 of the agents(myself, canuck2xtreme and lethunder) and the instructions for this are in the OP . Try us all out, we all have our different styles, advantages and disadvantages. We, specifically I, are a little behind at the moment but will quickly get caught up. Currently, we are still trying to fill out our empty GM positions so we there will be a little lag in getting players signed but this will allow the new GMs to get in some offers before we go too far and they lose out completely.

Training camp is around the corner so you will need to decide if that young player is going to stick in the NHL or not, if you should sign that recent draft pick to a contract or if you can wait for them to develop, and how much of your organization budget you should allocate to different departments.

Get on it and be proactive. You snooze, you lose.

Thread Etiquette

Be polite, be professional, be interesting.

The thread’s primary use as is a forum to learn about transactions, player signings, and waivers from the League, to allow GMs to report news from their teams, and to build camaraderie among the group. A good way to envision the thread is part media outlet, part official message service and part clubhouse.

The game thread exists for all 30 members as their main tool for finding information about the goings on of the League and to inform other GMs of news, rumours, and reports from their own teams. Have fun with it. Some GMs write articles, others news wire reports and even others make videos.

Remember that everything you put in the thread is public. Don’t put players with NTCs on the block or they will see it so you better get their permission first. The thread really is your public face so you can be a Brian Burke or you can be a Ken Holland. It’ your choice but keep in mind that the other GMs are both your adversaries and your peers. Don’t make enemies if you can help it because that other GM might have the final piece to your puzzle. Rivalries are good and encouraged though as long as you show the due respect. For example, I think very highly of lethunder as person, respect his abilities and consider him a friend however, as GM of the Isles, I hate the Buffalo Sabres with every fibre of my being.

It is important to keep thread chatter down to a reasonable level so that other GMs don’t need to wade through 15 pages of drivel if they go away for the weekend. In the offseason, right now, it isn’t as important but once the season gets going there is a lot happening and you’ll just annoy the others.

Ultimately, please show respect for the thread and your fellow GMs and keep it professional.

FAQs

Ok, I didn’t write this part so I will just throw it out to the new GMs to ask in the thread about anything they want clarification on and the membership will sort you out in no time.

OK, gentlemen, what did I forget?

Archived