The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

Gunners needed the win against Southampton, this could be the difference between a title or not. Another good effort from Cazorla and Sczezsny, it's a shame they were only playing with 10 men for the last portion of the game though.

Bad call by the ref imo. It would have been a great tackle had he only gone in with one foot, but he naively decided to go in with two, however he didn't deserve a red, definitely a yellow though.

As for Arsenal, they won`t win anything without a proper striker. It`s ridiculous how bad Giroud is, don't get me wrong he's a decent player, but for Arsenal's style of play he just doesn't fit in. I just feel like he slows down counter attacks, and watching him get mad at the refs after every time he dives thinking its a foul, that part of him really bothers me. I wouldn't mind his antics if he finished his chances but he doesn't. I was hoping Lewandowski would join Arsenal. I guess I'll just have to hope maybe Benzema will.

Lewandowski to Bayern in July, kind of a shame I wish he would transfer to the Prem instead. Much like Spain and France the German league is only a 2-3 team race each year.

I'm sure Dortmund diehards are going to have a fun time watching Lewandowski rip up the Bundesliga even more playing on arguably the best club in the entire world.

In fact the Bundesliga is more a 1 team race for the next years. With Bayerns actual squad (many of their key players are really young + so much talent) and the Bundesliga hosting more talent than ever before (which is just a "free" talentpool for Bayern), there is no way someone is going to beat them in the next years, unless they are really unlucky. They didn't win that many national titles in the last 10 years, mostly because of their own sloppiness (less than United for example), but these times are pretty much over. Of course, there is no way they will be on this level for the next 30 years, but the next 5-10 years will be most likely really boring. When Robben and Ribery will end their careers, they have so many opportunities with Reus, Meyer, Werner, Volland e.g. to keep the quality of the squad, it's ridiculous. Lahm will be hard to replace though

Interesting game between City and Chelsea yesterday. City has so much quality, but they are not really consistent. In the first 30 minutes, they should have scored, but after the 0:1 Chelsea was way on top. When you look at the chances it's incredible the game had only one goal. City vs Barca will be quite a matchup though, Barca is not really convincing either (and chances for Atletico to win the PD are really good). Could be a nice race to the title in Spain

Edited by DennisK-Meson

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In fact the Bundesliga is more a 1 team race for the next years. With Bayerns actual squad (many of their key players are really young + so much talent) and the Bundesliga hosting more talent than ever before (which is just a "free" talentpool for Bayern), there is no way someone is going to beat them in the next years, unless they are really unlucky. They didn't win that many national titles in the last 10 years, mostly because of their own sloppiness (less than United for example), but these times are pretty much over. Of course, there is no way they will be on this level for the next 30 years, but the next 5-10 years will be most likely really boring. When Robben and Ribery will end their careers, they have so many opportunities with Reus, Meyer, Werner, Volland e.g. to keep the quality of the squad, it's ridiculous. Lahm will be hard to replace though

Interesting game between City and Chelsea yesterday. City has so much quality, but they are not really consistent. In the first 30 minutes, they should have scored, but after the 0:1 Chelsea was way on top. When you look at the chances it's incredible the game had only one goal. City vs Barca will be quite a matchup though, Barca is not really convincing either (and chances for Atletico to win the PD are really good). Could be a nice race to the title in Spain

Its a shame to see really.. Unfortunately Bayern has full reigns in the Bundesliga because they just cherry pick the top players off every bundesliga team (see Lewandowski and Mario Gotze for Dortmund, Mario Mandzukic from Wolfsberg and Dante from Brussia M.) Those are 4 from the past 3 transfer windows alone.. For teams like Dortmund who are in tremendous debt, they have no choice but to accept the ridiculous transfer fees that Bayern throws out. This once competitive leagues turning into Bayern + their farm teams; and thats really sad IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets hear your champions league predictions.

Mine are: PSG, Bayern, Real Madrid, Barcelona (barely).

I think Chelsea will be unable to defend Zlatan in his current form.

Bayern should man handle United.

Dortmund aren't quite the team they were last year and I don't think they can handle Ronaldo and his teammates.

Barcelona vs Athletico will probably be the tie of the round. I'm thinking Athletico will focus on La Liga and let Barcelona win, so Athletico can be fresh and win La Liga.

• 3 weeks later...

Moyes sacked, Chelsea park the bus, and Bayern either continues their strong European dominance or Real ends their own personal streak of fizzing out during the semi-finals in recent years. In England, the red side of Merseyside also in great shape and may look to take advantage of Chelsea playing during the week and losing Cech and being down Hazard and Eto'o.

And we're inching closer to the World Cup!

the premier league is fixed this year for Liverpool to win it, Hillsborough 25th anniversary and all that....the FA believe they owe them something, scousers playing the victim perfectly again #JFT39

so chealsea lost on PURPOSE to crystal loloolol

so chealsea lost on PURPOSE to crystal loloolol

did you watch the Sunderland game on Saturday? Chelsea had 2 stone wall penalties not given, had a goal chopped off for nothing and Sunderland got a penalty that never was.....and the referee was? Mr Mike Dean....who is from where? Oh yeah, the Wirall and supports what club......da da, Liverpool!!!

Chelsea never ever get decisions against them at "the bridge" yet they were well and truly shafted on Saturday, just as City were at Klanfield the week before. How a scouser got to ref the Chelsea game on Saturday just beggars belief.

The average penalties per team in the Premier league this season is just under 3 per team, Liverpool have had 12

Edited by topbananas