The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

This summer is going to see unprecedented levels of spending:

- Man City want Mangala and Fernando, plus need Englishmen to replace Lescott, Milner and likely Rodwell and Sinclair

- Chelsea want Mangala, a LB, a CB to replace Luiz, Hazard to go, several strikers to come in

- United need two CBs, a LB, probably a RB, two CMs, at least one winger and another striker if Welbeck/Hernandez leave

- Liverpool want to strengthen all over, bringing in Vorm, want a new LB, CMs, another striker

- Tottenham want to improve all over, Soldado out, new strikers in, players like Sandro and Capoue to leave, Lloris leaving too

- Arsenal will spend big on RB and strikers

- Everton need to replace Lukaku, bring in Barry etc

- Villa are losing a lot of their deadwood and need to spend urgently

- The 3 promoted clubs are all going to spend moolah

- Plus everyone else in the league

It would not surprise me to see spending approaching £1bn this summer transfer period. United alone can do £200m, Chelsea and City another £150m, Liverpool and Arsenal another £200m...

Pretty sure because of FFP BS City will only have 49m to spend and a decreased (21 man) squad for CL with what I believe will hit foreign players harder meaning it could be harder to sign new players if they know that they won't be getting any CL games. It's too bad that Milner wants to leave he's the 2nd best english player on the team. Also not sure how you missed that Richards is also likely to leave this summer too. I think that there might be a few more EDS call ups to help with the quotas.

GO ATLÉTICO!!!

Since you're the only Atletico fan I know, I decided to log back in for one post to congratulate you guys on an amazing season despite the result tonight. I remember when Celtic lost the final back in Seville (not to mention last year's final). I was absolutely gutted for weeks, so I know how you feel.

Real Madrid are scum. Chin up. You'll be back.

Edited by Scottish⑦Canuck

Since you're the only Atletico fan I know, I decided to log back in for one post to congratulate you guys on an amazing season despite the result tonight. I remember when Celtic lost the final back in Seville (not to mention last year's final). I was absolutely gutted for weeks, so I know how you feel.

Real Madrid are scum. Chin up. You'll be back.

Thank you! What a tough lose, but after a couple of days the feeling changed. Now we feel happy and proud about what we did and how hard we fought.

Wow David Villa and possibly Lampard to NYCFC crazy stuff coming to the mls

Also heard that Xabi has been linked with coming over to NYCFC with David Villa.. NYCFC could be the best team in MLS without even playing a game.. Guess thats what you can do with the Yankees and City bankrolling you eh?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow David Villa and possibly Lampard to NYCFC crazy stuff coming to the mls

Sad thing is, this is a big part of why the NASL died... Washed up, aging imports. The other league killer was expansion into unproven or weak markets. I hope MLS has read the history books.

Luis Suarez completes his move to Barcelona for £75 million. I guess the bite didn't scare them off.

Going to be interesting with Neymar, Messi, and now Suarez up front.

All these guys like to carry the ball.

Yikes. High-profile striker leaves Liverpool, they falter (See: Torres, Owen) + a slew of high-profile strikers pushed out/failing during time at Barcelona during Messi era. A few reasons to believe this may not work out.

Yikes. High-profile striker leaves Liverpool, they falter (See: Torres, Owen) + a slew of high-profile strikers pushed out/failing during time at Barcelona during Messi era. A few reasons to believe this may not work out.

This. I don't understand what Luis Enrique is doing. They reasonable depth up front, even with Messi out of the rotation. They need to replace guys like Puyol and Xavi, FAST. Or else Real Madrid will wipe the floor again.

On the subject of Suarez I'm not even bothered that he left us. The tiny conspiracy theorist inside of me just thinks that the bite in the world cup was one big ploy to move clubs. Even his apology, he didn't even mention Liverpool in it and referred to the "football family" (HELLO FIFA!!). And what makes it all the more funny is that Barcelona are barred from transfers. Or well they should be, but they launched an appeal so they are allowed to trade during it. So a player banned from "all football activity" can move to a club that is also banned from transfers. FIFA is a scam and a joke.

And whilst I might sound bitter, I'm really not. I loved watching Suarez play, his love for the game, his hard work. But after two biting incidents and alleged racism I was done. Great player but the drama is too much. I watch Coronation St for my soap fix, not football. At Liverpool he had players, managers and fans who adored him. The tactics were built around him and arranged to his strengths. He probably won't get that at Barcelona. Good luck to him.

Edited by moz