The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Official European Football (Soccer) Thread

ligue 1 sure is in a dire state, now that PSG has a billion dollars pumped into it weekly. i guess it's no different than Lyon's dominance a decade ago, now just on a larger scale

back when i didn't have cable, i'd sometimes watch ligue 1 games on some french channel i had, and i thought the lyon, psg, and OM games were always pretty good, especially lyon. and i loved Pauleta for PSG. since then, i've found the french league to be sorta underrated, certainly underappreciated.

at this rate, though, i can't imagine PSG losing more than 2 or 3 titles over the next decade. booooring

Edited by GLASSJAW

ligue 1 sure is in a dire state, now that PSG has a billion dollars pumped into it weekly. i guess it's no different than Lyon's dominance a decade ago, now just on a larger scale

back when i didn't have cable, i'd sometimes watch ligue 1 games on some french channel i had, and i thought the lyon, psg, and OM games were always pretty good, especially lyon. and i loved Pauleta for PSG. since then, i've found the french league to be sorta underrated, certainly underappreciated.

at this rate, though, i can't imagine PSG losing more than 2 or 3 titles over the next decade. booooring

Which is a shame because a lot of the other French teams have now placed emphasis on developing their youth systems and playing younger guys that it's not often they go out and spend a ton of money on established foreign players. It's basically a one team arms race for PSG.

Which is a shame because a lot of the other French teams have now placed emphasis on developing their youth systems and playing younger guys that it's not often they go out and spend a ton of money on established foreign players. It's basically a one team arms race for PSG.

it is. all about winning the CL from what we can see, willing the league seems like an afterthought

i think the entire back 4 for PSG is the Brazilian international back 4, with 3 Italian internationals mixed in to the core, and a handful of French bench players.

Lyon, on the other hand, is like 85% french. they still have Gourcuff, who i'm sure many of us will remember. wasn't he slated to be a world-beating midfielder a few years ago? still managed to have a decent career in France. always liked him.

and I think that Lacazette guy is going to turn into a top striker. Not as good as the other Lyon graduate, Benzema, but I totally wouldn't be surprised if he pots 25-30 goals this year and is bought out by one of the big clubs, where he'll rot on the bench for a few years

Hi Guys,

Thought I would come here for advice.

Girlfriend and I will be going to Europe end of Aug/early Sept.

I have the choice to attend one of these two matches;

France vs. Spain in Paris (Stade de France) -- Euro Cup 2016 preparatory match

Lazio vs. Cesena in Rome (Stadio Olimpico) -- Serie A week 2 action

Not quite sure which would be the better game to attend.

Euro cup one scares me as it could very well end up being B squads playing...also France is host nation so they already qualified for the tourney.

I'm a Serie A fan (Juve)...So leaning towards that game, although Cesena is a crappy team...

What are some thoughts??

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Thought I would come here for advice.

Girlfriend and I will be going to Europe end of Aug/early Sept.

I have the choice to attend one of these two matches;

France vs. Spain in Paris (Stade de France) -- Euro Cup 2016 preparatory match

Lazio vs. Cesena in Rome (Stadio Olimpico) -- Serie A week 2 action

Not quite sure which would be the better game to attend.

Euro cup one scares me as it could very well end up being B squads playing...also France is host nation so they already qualified for the tourney.

I'm a Serie A fan (Juve)...So leaning towards that game, although Cesena is a crappy team...

What are some thoughts??

Thanks

You've convinced me that you should go to the Lazio/Cesena game. :)

Well after that result in front of 109,000 against Real Madrid it appears to me with the return to fitness of Fletcher and the arrival of Van Gaal and hopefully the banishing of Fellaini, Man U will rule supreme once more in the near future.

Moyes was a disaster for Man U because he didn't appreciate the "United style" of football. He was used to working with "chasers" and didn't understand how to select and create a system for "thoroughbred sprinters". Probably next to Ralphie Milne this was SAF's worst choice of his career :)

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 1

Well after that result in front of 109,000 against Real Madrid it appears to me with the return to fitness of Fletcher and the arrival of Van Gaal and hopefully the banishing of Fellaini, Man U will rule supreme once more in the near future.

Moyes was a disaster for Man U because he didn't appreciate the "United style" of football. He was used to working with "chasers" and didn't understand how to select and create a system for "thoroughbred sprinters". Probably next to Ralphie Milne this was SAF's worst choice of his career :)

Cheers. Couldn't agree more. Fletcher has had a good pre season, and even though I expect more arrivals, Utd could easily start the season with this team. Don't expect them to win the league, but they're definitely moving in the right direction under Van Gall. Moyes was lost at the theatre of dreams...

Edited by spook007