The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Does Luongo really meltdown in the playoffs?

rkoshack

Look, I like Luongo. I think he has some great games sometimes and he's great during the regular season. But those of you trying to rewrite history with your rose coloured goggles and deny he has choked, BADLY, on multiple occasions in key games that cost us some playoff series are just fooling yourselves.

Luongo has melted down, and melted down badly. Certain teams just get in his head. And no, "But we weren't scoring enough" doesn't magically excuse the goaltender choking. I never understood that reasoning... maybe someone could explain how "we wouldn't have won without scoring anyway, meh" somehow makes poor goaltending OK. You need consistent goaltending to win the cup, so while it's nice Luongo sometimes gets a shutout, it sort of defeats the purpose of it when he lets in 4+ goals in other games by letting in softies.

You can tell it deflates the team too. Ever notice how the team 'mysteriously' plays better in front of Schneider? It's called having confidence in your last line of defence. It shows.

If the team supported him he would have had better stats in those four games.

How about game 7? he made a couple big saves and either Hank or Daniel whiffs at the Puck with a yawning cage in the first when the game was scoreless. If they buried the first goal luongo wouldn't have let in four.

You are 100% right, there are issues with goaltending and scoring, none is to blame more then the other. We can't win if the goaltending is inconsistent or if we can't put the puck in the net.

What to do? How about trading the inconsistent playoff goalie (who can play great at times) for scoring help. Problem solved........

You are 100% right, there are issues with goaltending and scoring, none is to blame more then the other. We can't win if the goaltending is inconsistent or if we can't put the puck in the net.

What to do? How about trading the inconsistent playoff goalie (who can play great at times) for scoring help. Problem solved........

I don't get why everyone keeps repeating "we ran Luongo out of town" and that we're "ungrateful".

- The vast majority of people I see on these forums and talk to in real life say they think Luongo is the best goalie we've had since Kirk McClean. I know I appreciate the work he has done.

- We've tried to win with Luongo for 7 years now, with no luck. The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over again while failing. It's time to move on.

- Luongo is ageing and his contract is fairly hefty. The salary cap will be lowering quite a bit in a year and we have another, younger, potentially elite goalie who has been waiting his turn for years to be a starter.

So no, I don't think the fans are ungrateful and I don't think Luongo is being run out of town. It just makes sense for the team (having tried him for several years) and for him personally (he could use a change of scenery to re-ignite his career) to move on. It's best for both of them.

Let's post Kesler/Sedins stats in the Bruins series!

Hell, lets post Kesler's playoff stats for the past 3 years and not include the Nashville series and see how spectacular they are!

Let's post Burrow's playoff stats! Remember when the guy used to be invisible once playoffs started? Yeah, the only way he could get goals was EN ones against the Blues.

It's okay though, our star players not scoring, blame Luongo.

He has, but that's just part of being human. That's the problem with goaltenders, if they're hot at the right moment, their team wins the cup. If not, they're put under a glaring spotlight, often to stand alone.

People forget that the goaltender is the last line in defense....that he doesn't get to skate out and stop the play before a scoring chance happens. So it's a do or die thing and you won't stop every goal. Sometimes it all unravels and Lu's had that happen, but I don't place the blame solely on him. And I'll miss him.

The guy who said consistent? Actually, you can be consistent all season long and, come playoffs, if you have a cold streak it's game over. Consistent doesn't equal perfection and I think you're seeking perfection.

He has, but that's just part of being human. That's the problem with goaltenders, if they're hot at the right moment, their team wins the cup. If not, they're put under a glaring spotlight, often to stand alone.

People forget that the goaltender is the last line in defense....that he doesn't get to skate out and stop the play before a scoring chance happens. So it's a do or die thing and you won't stop every goal. Sometimes it all unravels and Lu's had that happen, but I don't place the blame solely on him. And I'll miss him.

The guy who said consistent? Actually, you can be consistent all season long and, come playoffs, if you have a cold streak it's game over. Consistent doesn't equal perfection and I think you're seeking perfection.

Archived