• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:26 PM

Weber Doughty
Keith Green
Del Zotto Letang
Pietrangelo/Phaneuf

Do you mean Mike Green? No way. He's done. Not at all the same player he was when he was skipped over in 2010. Has gone completely downhill since then. And, that can't all be blamed on injuries. He just doesn't seem to have it anymore. Maybe a change of scenery to a club that emphasizes the skills of offensive-minded puck-moving defencemen would do him some good. But, he's not getting anywhere near Team Canada with the way his game has fallen off over the last couple seasons. No way.

#33 Xbox

Xbox

Formerly Lups

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,785 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:29 PM

Damn, don't know why I thought Bogosian was Canadian. Wishful thinking, I suppose.

I know that Staal seems like a long shot, but I think he's got a profile that will really interest the brain trust. Specifically, he's got size, a left-handed shot and a stay at home style. He could provide great balance to the rest of the D. He was invited to the Orientation camp pre-2010, so he's already on their radar. Hamhuis and Del Zotto could fill similar roles as well, though. If the Nucks win a Cup with Hamhuis as their top shutdown guy, he's got a great chance of making it.

And I agree that Seabrook has a great chance of making it, even if it's just as the 7th guy. The established chemistry factor is hard to overlook.

Sorry for not clarifying myself. I meant Eric Staal. The forward you had in your line-up. Marc Staal has a chance

2yo50sh.jpg

small.pngGM - STHS                                  Sig Cred to -Vintage Canuck-

#34 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Do you mean Mike Green? No way. He's done. Not at all the same player he was when he was skipped over in 2010. Has gone completely downhill since then. And, that can't all be blamed on injuries. He just doesn't seem to have it anymore. Maybe a change of scenery to a club that emphasizes the skills of offensive-minded puck-moving defencemen would do him some good. But, he's not getting anywhere near Team Canada with the way his game has fallen off over the last couple seasons. No way.

I do mean Mike Green. He's been injured, and even though you say it can't all be blamed to injury, well, until he's healthy that's the way I see it. I suppose if he ever gets healthy again for a full season, we'll be able to find as much out, but until then, I'll still be picking him for my hockey pools.
Posted Image

#35 Psycho_Path

Psycho_Path

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,734 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:11 PM

quick is american

phaneuf is too slow.

keep in mind sochi is played on olympic ice. speed will be important. yzerman said it himself on the most recent interview

Phaneuf is also physical, something that defensive core could really use. Failed on the Quick inclusion. Kinda surprised I did. Anyways, Price in for Quick and Ward as the H/M

And if Green doesn't make it, as with my list, Pietrangelo would be my next incusion.
Posted Image

#36 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:26 PM

Sorry for not clarifying myself. I meant Eric Staal. The forward you had in your line-up. Marc Staal has a chance

Gotta disagree with you there. He's been one of the league's most consistent point producers and goal scorers since the lockout. He's played for Canada at every level, so he's familiar to the brass. Has a great record of playoff success. He's comfortable playing wing or centre. And he'll only be 29 in 2014.

Basically, the argument for leaving him off comes down to the fact that he's having a bad year. Really, he had a bad two months. He had 12 points in 26 games in October and November. Since then he's had 46 points in 39 games, so I think it's safe to say his game hasn't slipped. I think he'll have a strong year next year, and book his spot on the team.

I should note that the criteria I listed in the first paragraph isn't necessarily what I think is important (though I do think Staal should make the team) but rather what Team Canada has demonstrated they think is important in the past.

#37 Guest_The Brown Burrows_*

Guest_The Brown Burrows_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:17 PM

Team Canada , going with the youngblood, left off almost all of the 2010 team (don't want to see what happened in '06).

Nash - Crosby - Staal
Hall - Toews - Stamkos
Seguin - Tavares -Skinner
Benn - Bergeron - Eberle
- Nugent-Hopkins

Keith - Seabrook
Doughty - Weber
Pietrangelo - Letang
- Hamhuis

Fleury
Price
Luongo

This should be the toughest selections yet. Lots of players (mainly forwards) that will make Yzerman's job a lot harder than it should be.

#38 Phil_314

Phil_314

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,231 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 11:34 PM

Stamkos - Crosby - Giroux
Hall - Tavares - Eberle
Toews - Getzlaf - Perry
J. Staal - M. Richards - Bergeron

Extras: Benn, E. Kane, Seguin or Couture?

Hamhuis - Weber
Keith - Seabrook
M. Staal - Doughty

Pietrangelo, Letang, who else?

Price
Fleury

I think Mike Smith or Cam Ward would factor in the equation (didn't know there were so few strong Canadian goalies in the NHL! Depending upon his performance maybe Lu gets to be the #3 and battle Smith and Ward for it, or a youngster could emerge)

John 3:16
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

Jesus LOVES YOU!
2012, meet Matthew 24:36-47!

14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.

#39 TheCammer

TheCammer

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 07:46 AM

I think both Richards and Carter will likely make the 2014 team. I think some of the young guys like Hall, Eberle and Seguin may get camp invites but might not push vets out of those spots. With that said 2 years is a long ways off.
Posted Image

#40 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 09:42 AM

Lucic-Crosby-Stamkos (Lucic is gonna destroy anyone who goes near the other two)
Tavares-Toews-Giroux (By then Tavares will be one of the top 7 players in the league)
Hall-RNH-Eberle (The youngest top line in the league will have established itself as elite by then)
Burrows-Getzlaf-Perry (Elite skill with grit and checking abilty, beat you up then beat you on the rush)

Scratches: Iginla, Couture, Seguin. (had a tough time deciding between Burrows and these 3, but I really want a Canuck or 2 on the roster)

Keith-Weber
Pietrangelo-Letang
Hamhuis-Doughty

Scratches: Seabrook, Ryan Murray

Price
Fluery
Luongo
Posted Image

#41 Nathan MacKinnon

Nathan MacKinnon

Canucks Star

• Members
  • 8,242 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

What's with people thinking Hall will make it? He's not that good

+1 this post!

Posted Image

Credit to Intoewsables :wub: :wub: :wub:

Formerly known as UMADBRO?

Luongo Supporter. Does not deserve any of this BS

#42 nd84

nd84

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:31 PM

The amount of people putting Hamhuis in their line-ups is ridiculous

I understand there can be other choices but Hamhuis' play has shown he can be a candidate. I even remember TSN making projected line-ups (based on play RIGHT NOW) and theey slotted Hamhuis in there playing with Doughty I think
Posted Image

#43 Venom52

Venom52

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,865 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:49 AM

Nash-Crosby-Stamkos
Eberle-Toews-Giroux
E.Staal-Getzlaf-Perry
Duchene-Bergeron-M.Richards
Seguin

Doughty-Keith
Weber-Seabrook
Pietrangelo-Myers
Letang

Price
Ward
Luongo

Posted Image

#44 -CANUCKS94-

-CANUCKS94-

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Nash-Crosby-Iginla
Lucic-Giroux-Stamkos
Tavares-Toews-Benn
E.Staal-J.Staal-Neal
(Eberle/Hall)

Doughty-Pietrangelo
Weber-Letang
M.Staal-Keith
(Seabrook)

Fleury
Price
Luongo
St. Louis Blues GM - Prestige Worldwide GMC

#45 Pimp C

Pimp C

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:06 PM

Stamkos-Crosby-Hall
Benn-Giroux-Toews
Eberle-Tavares-Seguin
Nugent-Hopkins-J.Staal-Perry

Lucic,Getzlaf,Nash

Doughty-Weber
Pietrangelo-Letang
Hamhuis-Myers

Del Zotto, Seabrook, Keith

Price
Fleury

Luongo

#46 velocity

velocity

Comets Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 09:59 PM

lines in no particular order, and canada has too many good Centers so they will have to play wing

seguin-Crosby-Nash
Duchene -Toews-Giroux
Staal -Stamkos-Eberle
Tavares- Getzlaf -Perry

Keith-Weber
Doughty-pietrangelo
Burns-Letang

Price
Ward
Fleury

#47 ABurrows14

ABurrows14

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 10:09 AM

Some people have selected "dream teams" and hey its fun why not, and you could argue that the bigger ice needs that...will be interesting to see which way Yzerman and team go, fast pure speed and skill or a mix of skill and grit.

I think you need the latter, as you need guys who will check, grind down the opposition etc, hockey is a team sport and you can't have 4 1st lines, it won't work, taking guys out of their elements expecting them to turn into 2 way players....So my suggestions below on building a 'team'.

Forwards
Stamkos Crosby Neal
- don't think there is any contraversy here, Stamkos and Crosby will be sick, and add in Neal, who has size to use on the boards, great hands, and is at least familiar with Sid (even though the don't play on the same line). If Iggy still has wheels happy to see him here as well as he has tremendous chemistry with Crosby, but Iggy will be 37.

Bergeron Giroux Perry
- Speed, creativity, size and hands. Great second punch after dealing with line one. Defensively responsible Bergeron, with two superstars. Giroux is a heck of a playmaker and Perry with the finish. Well balanced line.

Eberle Tavares Lucic
-Eberle and Tavares have played together in a couple of world juniors and by 2014 should have established themselves as two of the 'next ones' for Canada. Boy did I want the nucks to draft Eberle when he was up...too small hey? lol...Lucic protects these two (size) and provides the board support and goes and gets the puck.

Seguin Staal Richards
- Love this fourth line. Eric Staal up the middle (experience in the olympics, with Richards again, leaders, who have been there - very important when you have a number of olympic rookies on the team. All defensively responsible, great 2 way players, who will get in your face and are gritty. All have skill and can score and skate.

Subs
Getzlaf - if he picks up his lazy play sure...but he hasn't been making an effort for Anaheim and may cost him an invite
Spezza - really has come into his own. never was a big fan because of his attitude but seems to be changing, seems to be becoming a leader. Certainly based on his play in the WC and last year, deserves a shot, if he continues on his path, likley in the lineup
Iginla - age will be the factor. If he's still scoring 30 a year, well he's going to be on Sid's wing where he belongs. Here's hoping to Captain Canada making it.
Staal

Defense
Weber/Letang
Hammer/Doughty
Seabrook/Pietrangelo

Keith
Myers

Goal
Price - will compete with MA Fleury for the starting spot and could see him taking it.
M.A Fleury - MA last year was an abberation. Still one of the best goalies in the NHL and he's been to the olympics, he will be on the roster.
Elliot - depends on the next two years. Could see Cam Ward here as well given his experience.

Edited by ABurrows14, 14 July 2012 - 10:27 AM.

#48 Alchemy Time

Alchemy Time

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 01:13 PM

Stamkos and Crosby together on the top line would make that line the best 1# for Canada since Lemieux and Gretzky. Crosby dangles in, into the right corner then backhand saucers it to Stamkos for the one-timer goal.

Edited by ER15, 14 July 2012 - 01:14 PM.

Posted Image

#49 shiznak

shiznak

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,472 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 03:10 AM

Stamkos - Crosby - Iginla
Nash - Getzlaf - Perry
Giroux - Toews - Sharp
E.Staal - M. Richards - Bergeron
Tavares

Weber - Doughty
Keith - Seabrook
Letang - Pronger
Pietrangelo

15rntht.png

#50 PlayStation

PlayStation

XBox

• Members
  • 9,282 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

Weird to see CDC putting Luongo in... Most of them throwing him in first too.
Posted Image

"Real Men" :bigblush:

#51 Kyosama

Kyosama

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:21 AM

Stamkos-Crosby-Nash
Perry-Toews-Getzlaf
Giroux-Tavares-Kane (Bit of homerism but I think he'll be ready by then)
Eberle-Bergeron-Couture (Very good shutdown line with a lot of offensive talent)

Weber-Letang
Pietriangelo-Doughty
Keith-Seabrook/Staal

Price
Smith (If he keeps this going)
Ward

Edited by Kyosama, 15 July 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#52 Garrison

Garrison

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 10:37 AM

Stamkos-Crosby-Eberle
Tavares-Giroux-E.Staal
Perry-Toews-Getzlaf
Lucic-Bergeron-Sharp

Extra: Hall, Spezza

Weber-Letang
M.Staal-Doughty
Keith-Pietriangelo

Extra: Subban,Seabrook

Price
Fleury
Smith
Subban :bigblush:

#53 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos
Lucic - Tavares - Giroux
Staal - Getzlaf - Perry
Couture - Toews - Bergeron
Richards

Weber - Keith
Pietrangelo - Doughty
Letang - Staal
Seabrook

Price
Ward
Fleury (I just pray he doesn't get any time!)

Edited by boxiebrown, 15 July 2012 - 12:38 PM.

#54 Dogbyte

Dogbyte

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,329 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:37 PM

Nash Crosby Tavares
Stamkos Giroux E.Stall
Perry Toews Getzlaf
Eberle Seguin Iginla

M Richards Lucic Benn

Daughty Keith
Weber Pietriangelo
M. Stall Letang

Seabrook Myers

Price
Luongo
Fleury

Canuckslogo160x160.jpg

#55 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Defense
Weber/Letang
Hammer/Doughty
Seabrook/Pietrangelo

Lol at Hamhuis making it over Keith. Double lol on no Toews. Toews is a mortal lock.

#56 Vancanwincup

Vancanwincup

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:02 PM

Price
Fleury
Luongo

Duncan Keith - Shea Weber
Michael del Zotto - Alex Pietrangelo
Chris Pronger - Drew Doughty
Mike Green

Steven Stamkos - Sidney Crosby - Rick Nash
Taylor Hall - Eric Staal - Claude Giroux
Evander Kane - John Tavares - Jordan Eberle
Cory Perry - Jonathan Toews - Jarome Iginla
James Neal

Edited by Vancanwincup, 15 July 2012 - 01:04 PM.

#57 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:05 PM

Nash - Crosby - Stamkos
Tavares - Giroux - Neal
Staal - Getzlaf - Perry
Couture - Toews - Benn
Bergeron

Keith - Weber
Staal - Pietrangelo
Letang - Doughty
Del Zotto

Luongo
Price
Fleury

There are 5 basic groups of forwards:

Locks: Crosby, Toews, Stamkos. Pretty obvious.

Vets having a down year, but with a great chance to make the team: Nash, Staal, Perry, Getzlaf. All they need is a bounce back year next year, and they'll be virtual locks to make the team. I think all 4 will end up on the team.

Young guys who've made a jump to an elite level: Tavares, Giroux. If these two keep playing like they have this year, they're on the team for sure.

Young guys who still need to prove something: Big list. Hall, Eberle, Duchene, RNH, Seguin, Couture, Kane, Skinner, Benn, Neal etc. I'm probably missing some. The next two years are huge for these guys. If one of them has a big World Championships, they'll have an edge. Eberle might have an edge because of his past Team Canada performances.

Vets who probably aren't coming back: Thornton, Heatley, Marleau, Morrow, Richards, Iginla. I can't see Thornton, Heatley or Marleau making it, as their reps are just too tarnished at this point. Morrow and Richards probably aren't elite enough to beat out the young guys. Iggy has the best chance from this group, just because he's Iggy, and he's awesome.

Defense is a little more straightforward. Weber is a frigging lock, obviously. I think Keith, Pietrangelo and Doughty are next on the defensive depth chart. They're not locks, but they're almost locks. A lot of people are sleeping on Pietrangelo, but I think he's got about a 90% chance of making the team, as he has everything Team Canada loves - pedigree, elite talent, versatility, elite performance, and international experience.

So that gives 3 right side D, which opens up spots for left side guys. Staal, Del Zotto and Hamhuis will all get looks. Young guys like Subban, Myers and Bogosian will have their work cut out for them to beat the more established right side guys, but it's possible.

One thing... Why is Del Zotto a lock?

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#58 boxiebrown

boxiebrown

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:07 PM

One thing... Why is Del Zotto a lock?

Didn't say he was a lock, I said he'd "get a look" because we're short on left-sided D.

#59 Edler's Mind Tricks

Edler's Mind Tricks

Canucks Regular

• Members
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:12 PM

Ohhh.. Ok, misread that!

Hockey Management Intern for UBC Thunderbirds.
Associate Editor for Dobber Sports Network.
Designing a UBC Hockey Management Degree.

#60 greetingsfrombrazil

greetingsfrombrazil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 571 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Giroux - Crosby - Stamkos
Tavares - Toews - Nash
E. Stall - J. Stall - Skinner
Neal - Bergeron - Perry

Benn, Eberle and Sharp would also fit well.

Keith - Doughty
Letang - Weber
Hamhuis/Murray - Pietrangelo

Price
Luongo
Ward

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.