The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Are We Over Estimating Cory Schneider's Trade Value?

_Kick_Save_

it comes down to economics, simple supply and demand. how many teams are interested? atleast two by the rumors. the other aspect is how good is corey schneider? no one knows for sure, and thats a good thing, its an unkown but id say hes the best available goalie out there for the next long while. is he the next brodeur? could be, if im MG thats what im selling it as. based on his pedigree you've got teams bidding on a bonafied and ready NHL #1 starter, future Vezina canidate/winner. and hes a young RFA.

so how badly does tampa want a cup contending goalie? how long of a rebuild does columbus want to do? 5-6 years, do they have that long in columbus? thats about what it would take to mature a goalie prospect like subban. so they bid and the minimum from those teams based on RFA qualifying is 1st(high pick in case of those teams) + 3rd, it goes up from there and we'll see how bad those teams want it.

and if they don't meet the price we wait till next year. abitration won't award corey more than 2-3m, while his stats are good a judge will see he only started 25-30 games a season as a backup, and NO ONE will sign him to offer sheet, which would be recieved in a way similar to that of an act of war. the scenario would unfold in one of two ways: one; where we don't match and proceed to offer sheet every single RFA they want to keep for next 5 seasons or two; where we match, and then proceed to offer sheet every single RFA they want to keep for next 5 seasons. see the backes bernier situation only worse. if you have a young team you'll never be able to build within the cap because all of your core will be on contracts that overpay pay them. and even if he end up a 4-5m a season contract we can still match, and then trade him with that contract.

so we've got lots of time with schneider, no rush, lets see how bad they want it, or if we want to keep schneider instead.

I don't think the fact the Canucks did not move Schneider indicates that there wasn't high demand or interest - I don't believe were looking to move him - I would bet that there has already been a lot of interest, but moving Schneider before the end of the season was not in the game-plan. In addition, the teams that are looking to add goaltending are generally the also-rans - Columbus, Edmonton, Tampa, etc - they are rebuilding - there's no urgency to add a goaltender at the trade deadliine. Having the tandem is a very important factor for the Canucks, and moving him would have meant having to bring in a backup (who would be an even higher cap hit than Schneider's current $900k). The other consideration is that the terms of the CBA will effect the Canucks ability to re-sign Schneider - whether or not they have an additional five million in cap space after the terms of the new CBA are worked out will no doubt effect their plans.

Don't kid yourselves. There are A LOT of goalie prospects out there. Schneids might be better than some, but other GM's also know that goaltending stats are dependent on team performance. Cheers.

But i hope we get a mint if we end up trading him or Lu. Might not happen though. Gillis knows that a 2-goalie system is a big advantage for us.

TOML

exactly , you cant look at halak and be like "thats the going rate for a hot backup with a future"

look at last summer , all the signings , wards getting like 3.5 mill? ville leino is a 4.5 cap hit?The GUY WHO got 2 of his 6 goals this season in that Van game ..... erhoff got a monster amount of cash his play will never live up too

if those guys are that important to teams then they should be kicking down Gillis's door trying to get Schneider

He's a first rounder...from...seven years ago? He was promising back then, and he reached his potential on every level with our clubs patience and training. All he needs is a starting spot with reliable backup. Dependable numbers over several years, and one of the best young goalies in the league. We don't trade down on that one...seriously?!?!

Would you trade your 1st round risk for someone who is ready? I say two firsts or first plus prospect minimum...

If im another gm in need of a goalie I would have a hard time gioving up something like a first overall for schnieder. I just think goalies are so hard to predict what they will be like. They are a funny bunch and it wouldnt surprise me if when schnieds is traded he struggles. (just a gut feeling) goalies are risky

Schneider did not get traded at the deadline because management is unsure of Luongo and his inconsistancies. The team needs insurance in goal and schneider provides that in spades, Nothing will be done with Schneider until the votes are in on Lou's performance through the rest of this season and playoffs. I believe this is Luongo's final opportunity to show he can get us over the top and perform at an elite level.

I think Schneider has made his case that he should fetch a very high return...Unlike Bernier in LA,Schneider has performed in high pressure games and came out a winner (Boston game in Jan as an example)...After we've groomed him for this many years it would be redundant to trade him for draft picks.If that's the case..I'd rather we try and resign him.

With the cap likely going up for 2012-13, I think MG makes Schneider a good contract offer of 2 years at 2.5-3M per this summer, long enough to make it to year 5 of Lu's contract where Lu has the option of moving. Canucks have no huge RFA/UFA committments otherwise this summer, so there should be a bit of money to spend on Schneider. Come 2014-15, they will re-evaluate how the respective goalies, and the overall team as the Sedins will need to be re-signed, moves forward.

I think Schneider considers this option thoroughly, knowing that he will take on a bigger role with the team as long as he keeps his performance up. He may feel ready to be a #1 starter, but does he really want to be a #1 on a non-contending team or a #1.5 goalie on a cup contender?

Archived