The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The Complete Guide To Cory Schneider's Upcoming Restricted Free Agency

Guest AriGold

Great post OP! Very interesting read.

I've always had one concern though when it comes to trading Schneider at the draft though... What can we honestly expect to get for him? I could very well be wrong with this, but why would a team be willing to give up an early pick + a young prospect for an rfa/ufa that they may not even be able to sign? I would assume it would have to be contigent on him agreeing to sign with the team offering the package first.

Can anyone shed any light on how acquiring an rfa via a trade works? (basically how it works from the opposing teams perspective, not ours).

Is there any higher profile rfa's in recent years that have been traded at the draft and actually garnered a hefty return?

Good summary of things that have been posted numerous times. I don't have a problem keeping Schneider at 3 million, other teams are close to that number in net. Forcing a player to arbitration is a bad idea; not a good way to build a solid relationship with a player.

It all depends what happens this playoffs. If the team can play with Luongo then Schneider goes at the draft. If its still questionable we keep both and make it work. If Luongo tanks, we keep Schneider and move Luongo (he will waive his NTC if he knows he'll become a backup)

So if you are Cory Schneider and want to be a starting goalie in the NHL you would just say to MG "no probs Mike I'll sign for 2.5 even though I know the day after the draft I'll have a starting job somewhere at 3.5mil+". ??? Not too likely. I've heard of the hometown discount but that's a pretty steep price for Cory to pay just cause he likes MG.

I agree - I don't think Luongo should be moved either, and I don't agree that it is written in stone that they have to move Schneider either. The tandem could actually work for them both (at least for another year?) - and for the Canucks - everyone is assuming Schneider is itching to move on, but who knows that? The idea of spending more than 10% of the cap on goaltending may be unconventional, but goaltending after all is 16.7 % of the on-ice positions...and the difference between playing 60 games as a starter or 40 as a tandem may not be as much of a deal-breaker as people think, especially if they got to split an extra 20 games or so in the playoffs....

Very good article on the facts. However, I would like to disagree with one of the opinions expressed. I do not think that an offer sheet is a disaster. If it is for less than the minimum needed to trigger a first round pick (about 3.1 million), the Canucks just match and sign Schneider for that amount. I agree that having $8.5 million tied up in goaltending is a lot, but Schneider is a bargain at that price and would, in my view, be good value. If Ballard is getting 4.1 million, then Schneider is worth 3.1 (and I would happily trade or waive Ballard to make room for Schneider).

If it is for more than $3.1 million -- say for $4 million a year -- the Canucks would probably not match if the offer were from a team like Columbus -- with a high first round pick (and a high third round pick). That is not bad either.

Going to arbitration would be bad. If I have the dates right, I think Cory would be a UFA after one more year, so getting him for just one year in arbitration for, say, $3.5 million, would not be good.

I agree that the best thing would be a good trade, but an offer sheet is not terrible.

However, what I would really to see is Schneider signed long term and Luongo traded. However, that is unlikely. (Although, if Luongo has a meltdown in the playoffs or if Schneider gets a chance and is lights out it could happen.)

Good article, nicely written.

I think he'd get about $2.88 mil in arbitration. It's not fair to give out $3 mil a year contracts to guys that look good but haven't demonstrated it over a a several year period. Similar to Raymond, who deserved a pay increase and got $2.66 for a two year. Granted they settled on the steps and it didn't go to arbitration but I think at the time everyone thought it was pretty fair, now, not so much. :lol:

What do we realistically think Schnieder is worth at this point in time in terms of am impartial arbitrator?

Best case scenario, I would want MG to sign schneider with his salary being around 2.5 - 3.5 million and give him the incentive that he will start at least 35 games or split the season with luongo. Of course this is if luongo does not have a meltdown in this year's playoffs in which if he does, MG will try to trade him before next season.

I think the goaltender position is highly underrated in hockey. Most fans groan over spending more than at least a combined $7 million on both the goalies on the roster but in my opinion, spending anything under around $10 million on both goalies is reasonable. We have all experienced the luxury of having both goalies these past two seasons knowing that if one has a meltdown then it isn't the end of the world. Gone are the likes of Sabourin, Noronen, Sanford etc.

Also for those saying "trade schneider at the draft for a high draft pick because it will help our future". You guys are contradicting yourself because Schneider is young and will be a big help in the future for the Canucks. What's the point of drafting a player that has an equal chance of being a bust when we already have a young player that has proven will be a big asset to the team for many years to come.

1. Luongo would fetch more than CS in a trade. Way more. There's easily a dozen teams that would love to have him and at least a few he'd consider himself (if Van were not a contending team, that is)

2. CS is essentially still a prospect people. Think somewhat less value than the Varlamov deal.

3. Rask is a better goaltender and worth far more on the market than CS. I'm not going to quote the dude who said the opposite because it was painful to even read it once.

4. It is not unrealistic to think that CS might just resign with Vancouver. Tandem on contending team >> starter job in Poopville.

5. Stop listening to the media. They are salesmen.

Guest AriGold

1. Luongo would fetch more than CS in a trade. Way more. There's easily a dozen teams that would love to have him and at least a few he'd consider himself (if Van were not a contending team, that is) Not a chance Luongo gets more Cory, Cory comes unattached, no contract, no mental distress, not older, no kids/wife etc.. it all adds in, you're dillusional if you think Luongo is worth more than Schneider.

2. CS is essentially still a prospect people. Think somewhat less value than the Varlamov deal. Cory is far beyond a prospect anymore, hes ready to be a legit starting goalie.

3. Rask is a better goaltender and worth far more on the market than CS. I'm not going to quote the dude who said the opposite because it was painful to even read it once. You are such a CS hater, if there was a NHL fantasy draft by GM's CS is going way before TR, get lost.

4. It is not unrealistic to think that CS might just resign with Vancouver. Tandem on contending team >> starter job in Poopville. Agreed

5. Stop listening to the media. They are salesmen. Agreed

Great post OP! Very interesting read.

I've always had one concern though when it comes to trading Schneider at the draft though... What can we honestly expect to get for him? I could very well be wrong with this, but why would a team be willing to give up an early pick + a young prospect for an rfa/ufa that they may not even be able to sign? I would assume it would have to be contigent on him agreeing to sign with the team offering the package first.

Can anyone shed any light on how acquiring an rfa via a trade works? (basically how it works from the opposing teams perspective, not ours).

Is there any higher profile rfa's in recent years that have been traded at the draft and actually garnered a hefty return?

Archived