The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What Have You Done For Me? No What Have You Done For Me Latetly?

Samuel Påhlsson

I dont hate Clout's he wasn't of the caliber of Luo or schnides but he had alot of battle and kept us in some games we had no buisness being in. The issue for him was he couldn't seem to time his great nights with the teams good nights and often the nucks would play well infront of him when he had an off night. Luo is kinda the opposite if you don't deserve to win infront of Luo he prob won't stand on his head for you. Luo>Schnides>Clout's is the way I see it but I'd never say Cloutier sucked because I remember many 40+ shot shutouts or one goal games he played.

I dont see why this whole luongo thing has to be so complicated/touchy.

when lou came here for the first two years he stood on his head and carried this bad team on his back. Then he has not been as good (but still very good) during the regular season. (and once again getting progressively better)

In the playoffs he has played well most of the time but has let in some very questionable goals. it seems that people either "hate him" for this or "dont blame the losses on him at all" as the team in front of him didn t score enuf goals. well why does it have to be one or the other?

If it were cloutier letting in those goals (poor ones in the playoffs) it would be par for the coarse but since its elite lou then its not accepted. Thats fair. You know we all want them to win and part of that equation is for lou to perform to what we all have seen he is capable of and bail them out once in a while and for the team in front of him to bail him out once in a while. so if he lets in a couple bad goals in a few games in the playoffs then the boys in front of him need to get a couple more for him. And if they struggle to score tehn maybe he can stand on his head.

Is it true that we win or lose as a team or is it just a cliche.?

It's because Naslund gave us something to cheer about while Luongo doesn't win us every game in any given day. We are very spoiled as of now, because our team is a cup contender. A lot of people take this to mean that we must win every game and by a lot, or we have "issues" with the team.

The easiest place to bash is the goaltending because if you don't stop the puck, it's a goal. Now it may look bad for Luongo, but a lot of the time it's not his fault. But hey, he let it in, so why don't we give Bag of Pucks a shot?

Cause we are now spoiled fans. We all want our players to give it their all 100% everyday. Unfortunately, there's slumps every now and then... and we cant handle that.

Naslund gave us something special. He light this whole city with his amazing offensive abilities. Luongo did that (with goal tending not offensive) in his first year here. But now that our team is a SC contender, our fans expect a lot more from him and our players. Its just that Luongo is a goalie. So that is why he gets most of the hate.

I for one, expect our team to give it 100% everyday. But 200% and more in the playoffs.

maybe it only seems like Lu gets more hate...i would need some actual stats on how much each one is or was hated before this is a legit comparison.

factors that could be making it appear like Lu is hated more could be:

more people are fans now.

more people have access to computers and high speed internet.

the blog explosion.

cheaper technology, more abundant.

social networking explosion so people can instantly vent on FB, Twitter, CDC etc.

or maybe Lu is actually hated more, who knows.

Naslund did all he could with a sucky team, then a good team with a sucky goalie.

Luongo has had an elite team in front of him for a few years now, and the results have been definitely mixed. If he can't get it done this year, well...it may be time to get rid of him, just like the time came to let Naslund go.

Cloutier's career playoff save percentage. I challenge you to find another goaltender (with at least 10 playoff games played) with a percentage anywhere NEAR that terrible.

Oh yeah - besides Ohlund, we had Salo, Jovo, Sopel, Malik, Allen, Baron, Lachance...maybe not the best in the league, but far from the worst.

The difference is Naslund was an elite goal scorer in his prime, Luongo believes he is currently an elite goaltender but I think he lacks the consistency to be considered elite. For example go back in time 2-3 seasons when Luongo was playing like a true elite goaltender and I bet there's a lot less Luongo hate. The Naslund era Canucks never went deep in the playoffs and obviously choking in several games of the SCF is going to make you more of a target than a player who was an elite scorer but never made it out of the 2nd round, especially in Vancouver. Of course Luongo also looked unbeatable in a couple games in the final but really once again that speaks to the inconsistent goalie he is currently.

So basically I'm aware of all the Luongo threads out there already but this is more of a comparison thread with Markus Naslund who received similar hate after the WCE died down. I'll just start with some simple facts on each players.

Naslund

Was a factor in getting the Canucks to the 2nd round on multiple occasions.

Was paid upwards of 6 million.

Has his jersey retired.

After the Bertuzzi trade received a lot of hate based on his production dropping and his 6 million dollar salary.

After his jersey retirement he lost most of his haters "We chocked speech" "Couldn't do it in the playoffs" etc... Still a few hangin' around though.

Luongo

Was a factor in getting the Canucks to game 7 of the Stanley Cup finals (further then Naslund got the Canucks)

Is paid upwards of 5 million.

Receives much more hate then Naslund yet he has proven more in the playoffs then Naslund ever did. He has only missed the playoffs once since joinning the Canucks and he hasn't lost in the first round.

Is hated because people think he has ego issues, mentally weak, lets in soft goals, is the reason the team lost (enter game date here).

All-time team leader in wins.

So now the to the main point. I would like to know why so many more people love Naslund in comparison to Luongo. When clearly Luongo has accomplished more in the playoffs and perhaps overall thus far. If someone thinks Naslund is great but thinks Luongo is a plug then clearly there is something wrong there. I wonder what would happen if people supported Luongo when he let in a bad goal instead of announcing it and throwing it in his face. It's the medias job to screw with our players. Our job should be to support them so they can be the player we want them to be. For example after game 6 in Boston it would have been nice to see people holding "We Believe in Lu" signs of something. Instead people just whined. My dad is a 41 year Canuck fan and he can't enjoy any games because all he cares about is them winning the cup. I always tell him that "If you don't enjoy the journey what's the point of making it to the destination."

Not sure how clear my points are gonna come across I'm currently running on 5 hour energy drinks. (No I wasn't paid to say that)

tl;dr etc...

The difference is Naslund was an elite goal scorer in his prime, Luongo believes he is currently an elite goaltender but I think he lacks the consistency to be considered elite. For example go back in time 2-3 seasons when Luongo was playing like a true elite goaltender and I bet there's a lot less Luongo hate. The Naslund era Canucks never went deep in the playoffs and obviously choking in several games of the SCF is going to make you more of a target than a player who was an elite scorer but never made it out of the 2nd round, especially in Vancouver. Of course Luongo also looked unbeatable in a couple games in the final but really once again that speaks to the inconsistent goalie he is currently.

I think part of it is the positions they play... Like a quarterback in football a goalie in the NHL gets more grief because at the end of the day he can receive some blame justly or unjustly for every goal that gets scored against us.

Being an NHL goaltender is a very lonely position.

Plus this fanbase is just dying for a cup, especially this season people don't even seem excited we have such a good team... We're always waiting for the other shoe to drop.

You don't even need to go back to Naslund. Just look at how the Sedins played last playoffs. Granted a comparison of forwards and goalie is pretty hard, but even so I don't see how someone could possibly think the Sedins outplayed Luongo in the last playoffs yet look at how much more criticism goes toward Luongo.

Naslund did all he could with a sucky team, then a good team with a sucky goalie.

Luongo has had an elite team in front of him for a few years now, and the results have been definitely mixed. If he can't get it done this year, well...it may be time to get rid of him, just like the time came to let Naslund go.

I completely disagree, look at his stats this season are they elite? Most definitely not more like average/mediocre when compared across the league. I agree 3-4 years ago Luongo was an elite goalie and yes the stats then support that. Too many of these Luongo homers live in the past, and try and defend him using stats going back years....the only problem is Luongo's stellar stats from years back aren't helping the team win games NOW. Live in the present people not rest on past accomplishments. Not to mention a lot of his career stats are going to be pumped up by the years in Florida back when it was A) By far the weakest division in the league and B ) Playing on a terrible team with no expectations of success.

Oh and heres my list of goalies I'd rather have:

Jimmy Howard

Tim Thomas

Tukka Rask

Mikka Kiprusoff

Carey Price

and probably a couple more

oh and lets not forget about the goalie the Canucks already HAVE and should be starting way more Cory-freakin-Schneider

Archived