The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Duncan Keith Suspended 5 Games

The Kassassin Train

Blood bath?? We got Pahlsson,Malhotra,Raymond,Higgins,Henrik,Edler,Salo,Tanev,

Other than Kassian,Bieksa and Bitz if he's in the lineup. Who exactly is going to initiate anything?

The Refs could just give miscounducts to Bieksa and Kassian and were back to being pansies.

This team needs a whole new attitude change in the off season. Every star players in the history of the NHL has had protection and teams would have to answer to them if they take cheapshots. The Sedins are the only star players that dont get respect around the leauge and officials, So what do you do? get your own protection. Weise,Duco,Mancari isnt gonna cut it, Either trade for more Kassians, or start drafting mean SOBs in the late rounds.

Guys, seriously, just stop it, 5 games is a very reasonable amount. You guys think that Keith is some sort of villain out to get Danny out of the playoffs? No way! Keith is an honest, respectable Canadian boy, and one of the few players I actually like on the Hawks. Sometimes the game gets intense, and players are caught in the moment. Daniel had a Hit on him earlier that he didn't like, so he wanted to get back at him, not concuss him. All he wanted was Danny flat on his a$$. Not injured.

This is why we're the most hated team. NHL called it right.

5 meaningless games in the end of the season?? frack that, Keith should miss the 1st round of the playoffs! We dont know when Daniel will be back, this cheap shot could jeopardize our season and he gets 5 frigging regular season games?!

If were eliminated in the 1st round, I dont give a shiet about being classy, the Canucks should target every Hawk player next season. Keith put a target on Kane,Hossa,Toews,Brunnete's head as far as im concerned. Too bad this team doesnt have enough balls to do it though. We all saw Edler just stand there when his friend and teammate lays on the ice and let Keith skate away casually.

A 5 games suspension may not satiate the desire for vegence of Vancouver fans, but we have to keep it in perspective. That's a long suspension by current NHL standards, especially for a first time offender. Only 5 other suspensions this season (not including pre-season) have been 5 or more games. In fact, the last one was Marchand.

Hopefully Keith gets the point. And hopefully Daniel gets better and suffers no long term consequences.

Well, if there's any way the glass can be seen as half full on this suspension, is the fact that Duncan Keith is now on the books and the radar of Shanahan and will be deemed a repeat offender when he pulls something boneheaded again. And I say 'again' because it IS going to happen again and we all have to keep our fingers crossed that the next Duncan Keith victim is not permanently injured or incapacitated for life. Seems like a pretty steep price to pay for the label of being a recognized offender, doesn't it?

I'm appalled at this decision - Shanahan had the perfect opportunity to make a huge statement about the NHL's stand on hits to the head, to make it abundantly clear to all players, and to the various fan bases, that this sort of thing is unacceptable and will not be tolerated for ANY reason. He weaseled out........caved........It would be nice to have someone in that position with the cajones to lay down the law, set the precedents and bars high.......one who has the best interests of player safety at heart.

Shanahan has just declared that the Bruins and the Hawks will have open season on the Canucks throughout the post-season.

A 5 games suspension may not satiate the desire for vegence of Vancouver fans, but we have to keep it in perspective. That's a long suspension by current NHL standards, especially for a first time offender. Only 5 other suspensions this season (not including pre-season) have been 5 or more games. In fact, the last one was Marchand.

Hopefully Keith gets the point. And hopefully Daniel gets better and suffers no long term consequences.

5 games without their top d-man is pretty significant for a Chicago club that is in no way guaranteed to make the playoffs.  When Keith returns he'll have just two games to help them with that battle.

Now, if Daniel misses a lot more, like, say, the first round...then it seems more insignificant.

Here's hoping that without Keith the Hawks miss the playoffs!!!  That Oduya pickup is looking better and better for them

Clearly "intent" to take out a player is not a concern in the NHL; hence, Keith's confidence and lack of concern in running a player with the sole "intent" to injure, and the resulting consequences that may transpire. The only response he could give for his behavior is he "respects" the NHL's decision. Consequently, at worst he gets a bit of a break before the playoffs, this is no sweat off his back just some R&R, while possibly semi-permantly injuring a player's career. Somehow I don't think this is a deterrence to get head shots out of the NHL as the NHL promote. And how is it that Canuck players consistently get thrown out of playoff games for marginal, consequential and clearly not "intentional" hits. What message is the NHL giving? Is Shanahan just a puppet in this bush league as well? A lawsuit needs to be filed against NHL management for negligence for not dutifully protecting the safety of the players. Further, in not appropriately providing meaningful and fair punishment to ensure deterrence, creates further consequential dangerous matters on the ice, which further clearly exemplifies the NHL's negligence in its operations in not properly protecting and ensuring the safety of the players.

Shanahan claims Keith has no prior history for headshots...CDCers/laymen were able to find historical video record for past offences online, and he couldn't when he should have access to all these video records, and this is at a pro level? Mind boggling. As someone had mentioned...for awhile it seemed that things were becoming legit and respectable...and now it's spiralling back to bush league status

5 is about what I expected. Does it mean it's enough? Definitely not.

Intent to injure should be punished severly, I don't care if he has no prior history. You can end players careers with hits like that. And the fact that it's his second time doing it makes it even worse.

Shouldn't have expected anything but incompetance form this league though. I'm just hoping Daniel can get healthy in time for playoffs. That's my only concern now.

"Keith quickly pivots when he sees sedin stop and moves up to close the gap on the Vancouver player. as sedin turns up ice Keith closes on his opponent and extends his elbow striking sedin in the face."

"Regardless of Keiths ascersion that the intent on this play was to impede sedins progress as opposed to a retaliation for an earlier play"

Wording of Shanahans explanation makes it sound like it was a hockey play and not a deliberate intent to injure.

Personally I think he should have gotten more games and this will likely have little effect on the Blackhawks season where as it could have a major impact on the Canucks season and the long term health of one of our best players!

Well, if there's any way the glass can be seen as half full on this suspension, is the fact that Duncan Keith is now on the books and the radar of Shanahan and will be deemed a repeat offender when he pulls something boneheaded again. And I say 'again' because it IS going to happen again and we all have to keep our fingers crossed that the next Duncan Keith victim is not permanently injured or incapacitated for life. Seems like a pretty steep price to pay for the label of being a recognized offender, doesn't it?

I'm appalled at this decision - Shanahan had the perfect opportunity to make a huge statement about the NHL's stand on hits to the head, to make it abundantly clear to all players, and to the various fan bases, that this sort of thing is unacceptable and will not be tolerated for ANY reason. He weaseled out........caved........It would be nice to have someone in that position with the cajones to lay down the law, set the precedents and bars high.......one who has the best interests of player safety at heart.

Archived